Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pure Dwarven Serenity  (Read 1908 times)

sir_schwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pure Dwarven Serenity
« on: August 24, 2012, 01:03:57 am »

Of course I'm referring to embarking in Serene biomes.  Been plagued by fire-breathing horses, rains of beer I can't harvest, sweatmen(just weird man), grave cats, anubites, and now angry unicorns.  Is Serene one of those Dwarven misnomers?

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Pure Dwarven Serenity
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 01:12:22 am »

Well, you've got to remember that Dwarves are constantly drunk. A serene environment is just as dangerous to a drunk person as a terrifying one. And you've got to admit; before the dwarves showed up and started getting attacked, the place was probably pretty quiet.

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 02:47:57 am »

You also need to remember you're most likely playing Masterwork DF, or some other form of modded DF. I cant say it never piqued my interests, but I ALWAYS come back to vanilla after a [in-game]year of something modded. Too many strange happenings, new custom reactions I have to memorize.. bleh
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 06:02:01 am »

I was thinking in a freaking volcano, wtf are serene biomes.
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 06:04:13 am »

You also need to remember you're most likely playing Masterwork DF, or some other form of modded DF. I cant say it never piqued my interests, but I ALWAYS come back to vanilla after a [in-game]year of something modded. Too many strange happenings, new custom reactions I have to memorize.. bleh
I just do all of my modding myself. When you've struggled with and growled at a creature or reaction to get it to work right, memorizing them comes as a natural part of the creation process.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:31:06 am »

The clouds don't turn your dwarves into horrific parodies of dwarvenkind that seek the death of all living nearby.

I'd say anything that isn't Terrifying is pretty damn serene. That said, Featherwood and unicorns.
No-one said unicorns are friendly. :P

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 09:32:29 am »

Of course I'm referring to embarking in Serene biomes.  Been plagued by fire-breathing horses, rains of beer I can't harvest, sweatmen(just weird man), grave cats, anubites, and now angry unicorns.  Is Serene one of those Dwarven misnomers?

Serene is indeed very serene... with unmodded DF. 
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 01:02:12 pm »

Why was I thinking somebody was going to build a dwarven version of the Serenity?

Burn the land and boil the sea!!! Of course, you can't take the sky from me.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 10:35:23 pm »

Yes, we can. See: glass ceiling shenanigans.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 11:15:34 pm »

Yes, we can. Cave adaptation.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 12:15:40 am »

Watch out for the unicorns. They are like hostile horses wielding spears on their heads. With hooves. Fear the hooves!
If you are lucky you might even get gnomes! :o
The clouds don't turn your dwarves into horrific parodies of dwarvenkind that seek the death of all living nearby.
Isn't that the way they become the very moment they migrate to our forts? Atleast I have always managed to turn them into twisted shells of their old selves even without evil biomes. You know, death seeking husk-like automaton only capable of hate and tantrums. That is their standard mental state.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 12:25:00 am »

Last time I went to a "serene" biome, my dwarves got eaten. "Mirthful" resulted in them being ripped apart first and then eaten. The local wildlife is like a bad neighbourhood watch group in some horror movie, determined to keep the place happy and sparkly and far too freaking blue, and fully willing to push any new arrivals who threaten that into a woodchipper.

I'm going to try embarking on my current Good Biome site for the third time (I. Hate. Alligators). I'm not stopping until there isn't a spot of natural blue left in the valley, and then I'm paving it with microcline to add insult to injury.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 12:31:49 am »

Masterwork DF ignores monster placement, so you get evil monsters EVERYWHERE. I am confused as to why he does it.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 11:29:42 am »

Isn't that the way they become the very moment they migrate to our forts? Atleast I have always managed to turn them into twisted shells of their old selves even without evil biomes. You know, death seeking husk-like automaton only capable of hate and tantrums. That is their standard mental state.

I drove a civ to extinction by using the dwarven race as disposable labour.  By the end, there were only a few left and every single one of them had witnessed so much death, endured such a nightmarish torment under my rule, that they did. Not. Care.

Why was I thinking somebody was going to build a dwarven version of the Serenity?

Burn the land and boil the sea!!! Of course, you can't take the sky from me.

Lava, screwpumps, and centuries of constructing walls and floors to fill up the skybox completely.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:31:43 am by ThatAussieGuy »