Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Emotions/Moods Question  (Read 3560 times)

TxJBxT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Emotions/Moods Question
« on: August 24, 2012, 12:01:53 am »

So I pose a question. Does anyone else think that Dwarves get upset too easily? Me myself find that they do at least in any fortress I make. And on top of that their depression lasts for a great majority of the year. I wouldn't be phased by this is they didn't go and start destroying everything in their little crybaby tantrums. So the question! Answer it if you would.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Emotions/Moods Question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 12:20:20 am »

So I pose a question. Does anyone else think that Dwarves get upset too easily? I myself find that they do often in any fortress I make. And on top of that their depression lasts for a great majority of the year. I wouldn't be phased by this if they didn't start destroying everything in their little crybaby tantrums. So the question! Answer it if you would.
Edited for grammer.

No, not really. They do have a number of specific things that cancel out unhappiness, like valuable furniture on display, or keeping unhappiness at bay, so most see no problem.

Might I ask why your dwaves are upset?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

cats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 12:22:00 am »

What I want to know is, why can't dwarves make clothing out of rock? That's probably the root cause of their bad moods.

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 12:26:01 am »

Basically, if you just have a bed and 2cabinets each in a 9x9 room (each bed designated a 3x3 square so thats 15), some rock thrones and rock tables and enough hooch and food for them and nobody is regularly loosing limbs/life then your dwarves will at the least be content. Go on give it a try, give your dwarves a little something to be happy about.
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 01:27:49 am »

First off: Smooth every single bit of stone wall and stone flooring in your fortress. This raises the quality of rooms drastically. I have a legendary dining hall that's just a 17x17 room with smoothed surfaces and tables lining two of the walls. Second: Instead of designating the useless migrants you get to military service, tell some of them to fish. A few fisherdwarves and you can constantly make lavish meals. Third: Once you've gotten all of the walls smoothed, tell an your engraver (who should be legendary by this point) to engrave the walls. Be sure to only designate the walls; if you engrave the floor you'll no longer be able to tell what is happening in your fortress, and masterful engravings on just the walls will be more than enough. Finally; At some point be sure to get a well put inside the fortress, as dwarves get happy thoughts from drinking from wells. I'd also recommend filling the well's reservoir with water that is not stagnant, as dwarves draw bathing water from wells and washing wounds with stagnant water can cause infection.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 02:59:44 am »

Make sure everyone have a bed to sleep 3 tiles away from a workshop, this applies on the Z level so if you put workshop on the top left for example you should put rooms on the bottom right to be sure.

Then a dining rooms to get rid of the lack of chairs/table.

Making fine and lavish meals helps.

Smoothing walls and floor of rooms, offices and dining rooms increase their quality once you have a legendary engraver, add engravings.

And finally install stuff to admire : doors are good and strangely lots of stone fall traps too since they admire the mechanisms.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:01:36 am by Boltgun »

Qauzzix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 06:15:49 am »

Make sure everyone have a bed to sleep 3 tiles away from a workshop, this applies on the Z level so if you put workshop on the top left for example you should put rooms on the bottom right to be sure.

From the Noise page on the wiki: 'Contrary to common belief based on earlier versions, workshops do not currently produce any noise.'

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 09:07:16 am »

So I pose a question. Does anyone else think that Dwarves get upset too easily? Me myself find that they do at least in any fortress I make. And on top of that their depression lasts for a great majority of the year. I wouldn't be phased by this is they didn't go and start destroying everything in their little crybaby tantrums. So the question! Answer it if you would.

I don't thinks they get upset too easily, it's not really difficult to make them happy with enough valuable furnishings and 'late' game fortresses are practically indestructible except by dwarves going insane or overseer's desires.

Make lots of ropes with images on it and cover all the surface your dwarves idles in with it, that's what I does with moody dwarves around :D

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 09:26:01 am »

Individual bedrooms, legendary dining room with some nice statues, food and drink: bang, ecstatic.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 09:33:49 am »

Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 09:46:10 am »

Give everyone royal bedrooms. They will be ecstatic through everything - deaths, zombie attacks even no booze...

cats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 07:31:29 pm »

Some of my dwarves seem to get cranky over one minor thing going wrong. I look at their status and they're chowing down on legendary meals (I make a priority of selling any food less than masterwork), drinking amazing booze (I keep a variety of hooch in stock), dining in legendary halls (smoothed and engraved, just like the tales of old), slept in bedroom like personal palace, admiring artifact statues that I put in high traffic areas, then they go all dwarf-berzerk over not having a clean shirt.

"Oh, woe is me, whatever shall I do about my lack of shirt."
You're a CLOTHIER

This is why I'm saying: rock clothing. All this organic clothing business is a disgusting elfism. Rock clothing's good for posture, among other things, er, probably.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 11:03:00 pm »

Some of my dwarves seem to get cranky over one minor thing going wrong. I look at their status and they're chowing down on legendary meals (I make a priority of selling any food less than masterwork), drinking amazing booze (I keep a variety of hooch in stock), dining in legendary halls (smoothed and engraved, just like the tales of old), slept in bedroom like personal palace, admiring artifact statues that I put in high traffic areas, then they go all dwarf-berzerk over not having a clean shirt.

"Oh, woe is me, whatever shall I do about my lack of shirt."
You're a CLOTHIER

This is why I'm saying: rock clothing. All this organic clothing business is a disgusting elfism. Rock clothing's good for posture, among other things, er, probably.
Have you ever had the misfortune to not have a shirt? It make you pretty damn upset.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 12:05:17 am »

Aye, just give everyone a 3 or 4 tile bedroom and tell someone to engrave it. Also, after your cook gets more skilled and you start producing lavish meals they will start getting plenty of happy thoughts about decadent meals etc.

Oh, and don't forget about mist generators. A single mist generator in the middle of your fort will greatly boost everyone's happiness.
And most importantly: seeing dieing animals in the meeting hall. Plenty of them. Teaches the dorfs the dwarven mentality towards tragedy.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 12:12:01 am »

Just be sure not to accidentally drop a cat on a dwarf. Feline-induced brain injury is a significant source of unhappy thoughts to those left behind.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies
Pages: [1] 2