Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 2012 Hurricane Season - Isaac is angry.  (Read 2043 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2012 Hurricane Season - Isaac is angry.
« on: August 23, 2012, 08:57:39 pm »

So, I haven't seen a hurricane thread here since Irene of last year, so perhaps it's time to start one up given that we're only half way-ish through the Atlantic season.

Unless it's quoted as being from another source, all information in my posts is my own personal opinion and I fully admit I'm a complete amateur at looking at this information. I could, and likely probably will be wrong in some, many, or all of my assertions. Any decisions you make personally are your own and the only place you should really turn for official information in life or death situations is the NHC or your own local weather service.

I mostly pay attention to the Atlantic basin, but I'll try to keep an eye on the Pacific as well for any interesting developments. My information sources are a bit lacking in that area though, so if anyone notices anything pop up, please say so.

Also, for the most part, I'll forgo graphics in this thread as WUnderground does it so well already, and if you're interested at all, check out Dr. Jeff Master's Blog and their tropical weather section at http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/ The only thing they don't have there is an easily viewed ECMWF model, but that's due to ECMWF's odd licensing and their refusal to let their models be combined with any others. It's still a good model though, and their site can be found at http://www.ecmwf.int/ (It is hard to navigate though.)

Atlantic:
So far this season we've seen:
Alberto
Beryl
Chris
Debby
Ernesto
Florence
Helene
Gordon
Isaac
Joyce

Joyce has faded away to a gusty breeze, Isaac still stands as a serious threat in the Gulf of Mexico

Spoiler: August 24th, 2012 (click to show/hide)

August 25th, 2012
11:15 AM EDT
Isaac seems to have been hit hard by Haiti, but Haiti has also taken a beating from Isaac as well. Flooding tends to be a real problem there and since there are still an estimated 300,000 people who are living in tents after the earthquake, there is serious danger. The Haitian Government and several NGOs are reported to have been trying to get people sheltered as best they can though.

From this point, Isaac seems tracked to clip part of Cuba and most models suggest it'll swing way west out into the gulf rather than hugging the coast. From there, it's anybody's guess whether it will swing back east or continue on a northwesterly track. The northern gulf coast seems to be the target but Eastern Louisiana and the entire western coast of Florida are still in the cone. It's likely that tropical storm force winds will extend very far from the center, up to 200 miles in the near future, possibly farther at it's next landfall. Intensity modelling is notoriously bad, much worse than the tracking and even that is not great. From here on out, we have a decent idea of where it's going, but how strong it will be when it gets there is an unanswered question. Nobody is expecting a 4 or 5, but I have heard the numbers 2 and 3 thrown around and it's likely to be at least a 1. Personally I think the NHC errs on the side of strength a bit too much, but it's better to have people prepared for something strong and not have it be as bad than it is for them to expect a slight breeze and get knocked over by a tree.

Evening: Still dramatic amount of uncertainty as to Isaac's final landfall location. His strength depends a lot upon how long he spends over open water. He got chewed up pretty well by Cuba today, but tomorrow seems to provide plenty of opportunity to reorganize and strengthen.

Pacific:

Spoiler: August 24th, 2012 (click to show/hide)

August 25th, 2012
Morning:
Tembin seems to be strengthening again slightly, but is still on track to loop and hit Taiwan again in the next couple of days.

One of the reasons of this odd looping path is possibly Typhoon Bolaven just east of Tembin. Bolaven is forecast to be even stronger but it will instead be heading north towards Korea or nearby China on Monday or Tuesday, first crossing the islands between Taiwan and Japan at some point on Sunday. These two storms being so close together has an effect on their steering as nearby storms tend to orbit around each other in what's known as the Fujiwhara effect. As Bolaven is moving north, it'll probably pull Tembin along with it, dragging it back over Taiwan in that loop mentioned earlier.

Bolaven is approaching the islands between Taiwan and Japan as a very strong Category 4 storm. After passing there it is expected to encounter Korean shores as a Category 2 or 3 storm sometime Monday night or Tuesday morning.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 12:55:10 am by sluissa »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Hurricane Season - Isaac is Drunk and Surly, Joyce is Staying Away
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 08:26:59 am »

Man. Hurricanes.

I'll tell you what. Anyone who's lived in a region that has fricking hurricane seasons don't ever have to take being called "chicken" or "pansy" or anything like that for any reason. Because hurricanes/typhoons/cyclony stuff are some scary things.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 08:36:43 am »

... far enough inland that hurricanes are just a really nice afternoon. And maybe a few trees knocked down. Silly people living on coasts and in flood plains... they've got bigger issues. Foremost among them being deciding to live on the coast or in flood plains in an area known for hurricanes and floods :P

Me, I live on a hill... insofar as there are hills in Florida. I'm about 45 min to an hour from the coast, yeh, though I've been on the coast a couple times when big storms hit.

Tornados get me a lil'jittery, though. Hurricanes, not so much. Get behind a wall and on high ground and enjoy the wind and rain~

E: Though I will say, seeing a bird (non-hummingbird, anyway) pointing in one direction and going in the opposite is still one of my fondest memories. Opal, or whatever that was, iirc. That was a nice one, for me.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:40:59 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:02:20 am »

Meh....hurricanes aren't so bad because it's not like they can sneak up on you. You have multiple days advance warning. And unless you're right on the coast or in a steep river basin, it's generally all good. Just a lot of wind and rain. I've been through three major storms (Hugo, 1989; Fran, 1996; Floyd, 1999), and several smaller storms. Never felt particularly in danger, although certainly "concerned".

My most striking memory was with Hugo, wanting to go outside and play in the wind. Then I watched my homemade bird feeder (a hollowed out coconut on a length of wire) go airborne, never to be seen again. That kind of put the damper on wanting to get out in it. Of course, we don't get the really rough ones up here. NC has never been hit by a Cat 5, and it's been over 50 years since we had a Cat 4.

Contrast that with Florida, which has been by a number of Cat 5's (155mph+ winds) over the years. I remember seeing footage after Andrew of palm tree needles which had been driven by the wind into the trunks of other palm trees:o

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 09:09:07 am »

Meh....hurricanes aren't so bad because it's not like they can sneak up on you. You have multiple days advance warning. And unless you're right on the coast or in a steep river basin, it's generally all good. Just a lot of wind and rain. I've been through three major storms (Hugo, 1989; Fran, 1996; Floyd, 1999), and several smaller storms. Never felt particularly in danger, although certainly "concerned".

That's generally true, but there have been a number of hurricanes in recent memory which have either appeared, or rapidly intensified beyond the forecast within a short period of time. Just from memory, a few years ago a hurricane appeared from nowhere, outside of any of the forecasts, and within 24 hours it was a category 2 and plowing into the northern gulf coast. I remember hearing about one that went from a relatively weak storm to a formidable hurricane in less than 6 hours. It's that kind of thing that you need to worry about, although the really dangerous storms of over 100 mph, those tend to take time to build up and you do get some warning, just not always accurate warnings.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:12:55 am »

In North Carolina, hurricanes are always an excuse to party.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 09:38:02 am »

Don't they have to rescue stupid people who stay behind to party like, every time?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 09:38:39 am »

By which is meant: Get drunk and eat baked beans out of a can in the dark.  :P

See, there are specific disaster requirements for things you are required to run to the grocery store and hoard as if the end of the world is nigh. If it's a hurricane, you go get beer and beans. If a flake of snow is so much as rumored to have fallen from the sky, the shelves will be laid bare of milk and bread. Because we use French toast to ward off blizzards. That's the only rational explanation.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:42:41 am by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 09:43:21 am »

Get baked and drink beans?
Love, scriver~

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 10:03:41 am »

By which is meant: Get drunk and eat baked beans out of a can in the dark.  :P

No wonder I liked DayZ so much. Hurricanes are training for the zombie apocalypse.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 10:42:07 am »

Funny enough even living in Virginia there's still a fairly sizable death toll from Hurricanes. Even funnier (in a dark sort of way) is that only two people died actually during the last hurricane from trees falling on them, while a dozen or more died from heart attacks while cleaning the fallen limbs off of their land.

The South: killing ourselves one Big Mac at a time.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 10:51:29 am »

The moral? Cleanliness is next to DEATH.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 10:57:18 am »

Man, I remember living in Florida as a child, going outside to play in the hurricane.

I also find Long Islanders reactions to approaching hurricanes to be pretty damn funny. "OMFG! We're gonna die!!" Nuts to that, I'll go to the beach.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 11:02:28 am »

If a flake of snow is so much as rumored to have fallen from the sky, the shelves will be laid bare of milk and bread.
Schools will be cancelled, roads will be salted, WRAL will warn you about black ice. There will be a reckoning of white icy death.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 11:10:29 am »

If a flake of snow is so much as rumored to have fallen from the sky, the shelves will be laid bare of milk and bread.
Schools will be cancelled, roads will be salted, WRAL will warn you about black ice. There will be a reckoning of white icy death.
Basically, Long Island in a nutshell about snow, too. Even worse is that people, despite living in a place where it generally snows every winter, forget how to drive in snow.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: [1] 2 3