Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 2012 Hurricane Season - Isaac is angry.  (Read 2037 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Hurricane Season - Isaac is Drunk and Surly, Joyce is Staying Away
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 12:17:48 pm »

If a flake of snow is so much as rumored to have fallen from the sky, the shelves will be laid bare of milk and bread.
Schools will be cancelled, roads will be salted, WRAL will warn you about black ice. There will be a reckoning of white icy death.
Basically, Long Island in a nutshell about snow, too. Even worse is that people, despite living in a place where it generally snows every winter, forget how to drive in snow.
Wait, people in Long Island drive?? Where do they have room to park their cars??!  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 12:30:59 pm »

Pictures of Taiwan after Tembin's first pass. (It's very possible they'll see another pass, or at least be grazed with more rain.)

Taiwan

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 12:44:14 pm »

WOO! Hurricane Season's here! ;D I gotta find me a skateboard and get me a bedsheet; Time to go street wind-surfing when it comes.

The surf also gets more fun to swim in as well. I also love hurricane parties that get thrown (not by winds). Add to it, I live near a beach wall, so getting smashed by storm surges, or dodging the waves is always a fun thing to do when high tide comes along.

Always a fun game to play during a hurricane party: Category 5.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:50:36 pm by Itnetlolor »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 01:08:38 pm »

Heh...neat idea for a game, if a bit gimmicky.

Although my kids would look at the box and think it was about hockey:P

I'm actually a bit worried about this year's storm season. We had an abnormally warm spring and summer, so the ocean has to be packing a good bit more thermal energy than it typically does. And it's usually when they cross the Gulf Stream that they get all turbocharged and strengthen. I could see us getting the first Cat 5 in a long while this year, and probably more 3's and 4's than a normal year too.

Then again, we might get nothing. We haven't had a real hurricane make landfall (not counting the Outer Banks) in over a decade. (Which while I know statistically means nothing for future outcomes, I can't help but feel we're overdue).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 02:42:54 pm »

Isaac seems to be getting its act together and may have made a bit of a Northwest turn at this point. At the same time, however, it has also ingested some dry air from the west of it. Hurricanes run on heat and moisture, dry air dissipates both of these things and can be a severe hindrance to intensification. It should also, soon pass over Haiti and within 12 hours or so after that, Eastern Cuba. Both of these areas are very mountainous which can cause problems for it. None of these will likely be enough to break apart Isaac completely, but for now it's staggered and will probably have to wait until it's back over the open, warm waters of the gulf to continue intensifying. NHC reports the current maximum sustained wind speed at 60 MPH and several models suggest that it may not ever rise above this again. However, only time will tell.

The models should be able to get a better fix on things now that it looks like a better organized storm. ECMWF still suggests it will head towards the Louisiana-Mississippi border. GFS suggests a more eastern route, clipping the Florida Keys then curving into the Tallahassee area. Several models all collect between Pensacola and Tallahassee, Florida, so it's starting to look bad for the panhandle. We are still 4 days out from a panhandle landfall though, and Isaac has only JUST started it's Northwest turn. Anyone along the Western coast of Florida should be warned though, even without a direct landfall, you'll likely find strong winds and rain even from a close pass of Isaac. It's not currently very strong, but it is very big.

Half-hourly updated satellite loops of the Carribean and Gulf:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/watl/loop-wv.html
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/watl/loop-vis.html

The first shows water vapor in the atmosphere with the black and tan areas being dry air.
The second shows a basic visible picture of the cloud tops.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Hurricane Season - Isaac is angry.
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 04:35:12 pm »

I didn't realize how big this was. What category is it now?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 07:34:57 pm »

It's still a Tropical storm as of the latest advisory about 30 minutes ago. Winds only need to increase 5 MPH for it to be a category 1 hurricane. It's still somewhat unorganized but expected to possibly be a borderline category 2 by landfall tomorrow night/wednesday morning With wind speeds between 90 and 100 mph. A report from earlier today said the effects of it stretched for 700 miles across, but I believe winds are only strong about 200 miles out. Eastern and Southern Florida got a ton of rain, but they seem to be mostly in the clear for now. Storm surge should be effecting the northern Gulf coast including the Florida Panhandle, Alabama, Mississippi and parts of Louisiana some time tonight or early tomorrow. Northern Gulf coast is already starting to feel gusty wind conditions, but nothing serious until early tomorrow morning, most likely. Rain has been light, and on and off, but could become heavy at any time tonight or tomorrow morning.

Good luck Mississippi and Louisiana. It shouldn't be too bad compared to the history they've had, but it's still never fun to have to ride these out and there is always danger, even if it's minimized by preparedness.

I gave up on my twice daily updates, but if anyone is interested, I'd be happy to resume them, unless I lose power over the next couple of days.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 07:48:42 pm »

...Can I talk about typhoons in, say, Korea? xD

Anyhow, it's happening right now. Soon. Maybe 2 hours.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 09:12:17 pm »

Of course! Any discussion of tropical typoons is welcome. If you're about to be affected there in Korea. You have my best wishes. I've been through bad ones. Its not fun. Just stay safe.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 11:57:42 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What's happening. :3 Supposedly the typhoon should make its grievances apparent in about an hour or so. It's still a bit gusty, and raining on and off, but no really typhoon-level weather yet. The deep blue circle is the serious-stuff radius, and it's about to touch Seoul.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 12:44:18 am »

Glad to see it's seriously weakened since I last looked at it. A couple of days ago it was looking incredibly dangerous. Still, good luck.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 12:37:57 pm »

I heard the Korean one hit pretty hard. Report, Skyrunner, report!
Love, scriver~

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 05:20:22 pm »

Despite the naturally bad weather we get from these storms, it is surprisingly relaxing out, despite sometimes hearing the rain hit my house sideways. At times when it calms down, it actually makes me want to take a walk, even when the rain pours from nowhere moments later. I like finding peace within the chaos of a torrential storm.

EDIT:
Got caught in the rain during my walk. Continued walking the rest of the way back in the torrent. Felt pretty good. Got a decent shower from it. Actually, it felt good enough, I want to do that again, and just enjoy the rainfall during a walk. Surprisingly relaxing despite being hellish weather.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:27:56 pm by Itnetlolor »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2012, 04:57:27 am »

I know what you mean. I love rain.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:27:54 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2012, 05:23:01 am »

Eh, Typhoon Bolaven went out with a pfft in Seoul. Nothing as bad as expected. However, the coastal areas and Jeju Island got hit pretty bad, lots of outages, things broken, and general carnage.

I think about eight people died...

Pages: 1 [2] 3