Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mayor alert  (Read 1158 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mayor alert
« on: August 23, 2012, 01:25:58 pm »

Is there a way to get the game to pause every time the dwarves choose a new mayor?
I like to let them govern themselves, but I don't wanto to keep checking for the mayor in order to change his apartments.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Mayor alert
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:58:33 pm »

Not that I am aware of, sorry.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 02:16:40 pm »

All the announcements are stored in /data/init/announcements.txt , but I don't see anything about mayors. Bad luck, I guess.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 02:27:51 pm »

All the announcements are stored in /data/init/announcements.txt , but I don't see anything about mayors. Bad luck, I guess.

What about nobles in general?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 03:16:10 pm »

Nobles aren't hard coded, so no :/

P4N1C

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 06:02:49 pm »

it's not that hard to check the nobles screen through [n], is it?
also, they only have elections every year/half year and only the dwarves with the most friends/social skills will be selected (you can see who's the most eligible by going to the nobles screen and making as if you want to manually replace the mayor. the list will show, in order of best to worst, which social skills each dwarf has and how high each skill is. it might be that if a dwarf has an insane number of friends they can be elected over a more eligible one, but i've only really ever seen the extremely high social stat ones elected. which can be frustrating when those ones are vampires!!)

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 06:26:21 pm »

I've just appointed my mayor baron.  He likes spears.  I like training weaponsmiths.  So it is a good fit.

But that means next in line for mayor might like giant leopard tooth rings.  I can always reappoint, but I think I'll make it easier by collecting up all the high-social skill dwarves that aren't my favored mayor and mounting a diplomatic expedition to the caverns.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 07:12:11 pm »

But that means next in line for mayor might like giant leopard tooth rings.
Just rings. Nobles don't do material mandates any more.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 11:16:27 pm »

Just rings. Nobles don't do material mandates any more.

I've been gone too long.