Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rotten food, brewing and cooking  (Read 6262 times)

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rotten food, brewing and cooking
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 01:40:50 pm »

This may cause a small amount of the cancellation spam because the seeds in the barrel are unavailable, but the dwarf will not run around the entire fortress looking for seeds because it is set to ONLY take from stockpile 2

That will reduce the problem dramatically but it won't eliminate it. The job may only be to move a seed to an adjacent tile, but if a dwarf 100 levels down in the mines decides to take that job, that seed, and every seed in the same bag will still be unavailable while you wait for him to climb the stairs to your farming area. You can improve things further by being careful about which dwarves are allowed to haul food.
That is a problem with Dwarf Fortress in general, and true of ANY hauling job with things in containers. No amount of stockpile shuffling can fix that. The only way to alleviate that would be to have a 'farming' barrow with ONLY farmers in it so only they can move things in the barrow and they'll always be close by.
Even that won't solve it completely, because then your farmers/brewers will stop farming/brewing to run off to the dining room to collect a seed after someone eats a raw plump helmet.

Edit: oops, you said burrow.  Still, you'll eventually run out of seeds as they pile up in the dining room and in various offices, or anywhere else with chairs or tables.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:42:42 pm by EvilBob22 »
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 02:24:53 pm »

But couldn't you set a track that connect the burrow to another stockpile for the seeds from the kitchen/dining/eating?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 02:53:42 pm »

Sure, but then you'd be right back where you started, with haulers making the seeds unavailable.

Plump helmets are a nice base crop because they can be eaten raw, but that property means that you end up with seeds all over the place. Grow things that can't be eaten raw instead. Quarry bushes are pretty good -- one plant is processed into five leaves, which makes for large amounts of food. You need bags for that, so grow pig tails as well. Pig tails make cloth, and can also be brewed.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 03:13:02 pm »

Still, the method described by forsaken1111 works pretty well if you don't want to deal with bags and food that can't be eaten raw.  That is usually what I do in my forts.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 03:21:34 pm »

I've not really had much of an issue with food production.  I just make two farms at the start, and later on make two more, each 5x5, some doing only plump helmets and some doing a mix of stuff.  1x5 seed stockpile in between the two farms, no special settings about containers or w/e, and then disable seeds off the main food stockpiles.  Then I just make sure to disable cooking with plump helmet seeds (only brewing should be done with the seeds themselves) and I don't ever have any problem with food except for right at the beginning.  Two of those farms can really support pretty much everything if you have enough animals, fish and hunters to supply you with meat.  I do get some spam, but it's not a lot.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:29:26 pm by Mishrak »

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 04:32:31 pm »

I had this happen to my current fort and it took me ages why my brewing industry was moving at a snail's pace. It's all because you've stockpiled all your seeds, plants, and meat in barrels. It's like a russian doll, you need to unpack each layer before getting at what you want (specially seeds where they can be in bags in barrels in stockpiles). it also doesn't help that each dwarf moves the container with him when he goes to haul.
What I did was reduce the number of russian dolls so to speak by going q-ing my food/seed stockpile and turning off bin and barrel storage. This means that each item in the stockpile is visible to everyone and if an item is hauled then only that item is temporarily unavailable. The problem with this however is that it slows down hauling and increases the storage space you need but it gets the brewing and cooking industries back up and running at their usual pace. You might want to have your food storage, farms, and brewery and kitchens close to each other to speed up your times. Hope that helps.  :D
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.
Pages: 1 [2]