Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I think I have a vampire problem.  (Read 1808 times)

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
I think I have a vampire problem.
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:47:28 pm »

Not soon after my King arrived to live in my fortress (I'm not necessarily sure this is related) my militia commander was found dead with his blood drained. Now recently one of my hammerlords has been missing for a week. Checked his bedroom but he wasn't there so for the moment I have no idea where he is and if it was indeed a vampire attack again. It's happening pretty infrequently but thus far I have no idea who it is and I don't know how many of my population are affected. I'm hoping some of you could help in this matter.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think I have a vampire problem.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 10:52:44 pm »

I bet the vampire is the king.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 10:53:23 pm »

If you want to cheat, download the splintermind mirror of dwarf therapist and turn on cursecheck. If you want to do it the hard way, scroll through every dwarfs prefrences until you find one that is an ex citizen of eleventy billion places, then make him take a long walk off a short pier (Into magma. Water won;t work.)

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 10:54:00 pm »

That'd be quite the story to tell. I just wish I could catch him, each dwarf has their own 2x2 room with a chest and cabinet.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 11:01:13 pm »

In the future, apparently you should put your bedrooms around heavily-trafficed areas (dining hall, main entrance etc.) and separate them with a glass wall (or window, but those can be destroyed).

I've never had a glassmaking industry good enough to work this, but you should catch your vampires in the act :D

Or, even better, temporary dorms until the vamp is caught.
My wooden badge was delicious.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 11:36:24 pm »

I'm assuming it pops up in a message and pauses the game?

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 12:56:16 am »

You should be screening your migrants on arrival for physical,mental and personality traits that are desirable for jobs you need done; catching a vampire is just icing on the cake. If you want to be 100% sure on catching all the vampires you need to seal off the fort. Have a depot airlock to let traders in and a migrant airlock to isolate and process incoming migrants. Screen and tag migrants as they filter to the migrant airlock.Tag those with alcohol withdrawal, lot's of former homes, heaps of jewelry, large kill lists, and so on. Watch and only let those that get thirsty out.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 01:04:36 am »

I'm assuming it pops up in a message and pauses the game?
Aha, your funny. No, it will appear, after the fact, in the justice screen.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 02:13:02 am »

To catch a vampire already in your fortress, forbid all food and drink, and block off water. Within a season everyone will be complaining with the exception of one dwarf. That dwarf will be your vampire.

A more laborious one is to check for dwarves without eating or sleeping thoughts. Since you likely have a bed and a dining room, the dwarf without either of these thoughts is your vampire.
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 03:21:43 am »

I wonder if you could make an automated vampire catcher.  Have an outer hall and an inner hall.  The inner hall is completely sealed, except when necessary.  The connection between the outer hall and inner hall is an airlock with a stockpile of food and booze.  Whenever any dwarf goes in, a pressure plate toggles the airlock letting the dwarf into the inner hall, then retoggles it after a time delay. 

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 04:27:16 am »

The fastest long way of checking dwarfs after they are in your fort is to use the u menu and z-enter-esc-esc-up repeat to check every dwarf for the one with the laundry list of former factions. If using dwarf therapist look for a dwarf with 10+ skills with very little skill, and several social skills.

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 05:38:47 am »

Another possibility for the future, a little more tedious to do in an already existing fort, is to put your dwarves in large 21x21 bedrooms where each dwarf gets a 3x3 bed space and furniture.  This will catch most vampires on there first kill with 2-3 witnesses.  I also place my bookkeeper/manager's work space in the same room to increase the chances of catching the vampire.

As far as finding the vampire in your current fort, the easiest non-cheating way I could think of would be to look in your justice screen and find the accusers/witnesses of your current string of murders and look for the thoughts of "took joy in slaughter recently".  Any dwarfs with that tag line isolate in a walled off room with a lever profiled to only allow that specific dwarf to use it.  If that dwarf does not get hungry/thirsty within a few months game time, then you have found your vampire.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 06:17:39 am »

I doubt it is the king. Vampire kings never really try to hide their vampirism.

Vampires don't drink booze, but still get the "hasn't had a drink in a long time" thoughts. So you could check the latest immigrants for any such thoughts. It obviously doesn't work if you don't have enough booze available, though.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 09:15:19 am »

Far whatever reason....I've had vampires arrive lacking that thought (the 'hasnt had a drink in a long time' and its varying degrees).  Im guessing they dont generate this lack in worldgen, or maybe this particularly vamp was cursed right before I founded the fort.

Once the sucka is inside then this thought will certainly manifest itself in time.  My point anyway was that you cannot rely on this single indicator when checking migrants (though a vamp is usually obvious by the 'v'-z' screen, there are several indicators afterall)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 09:59:45 am »

I had a vampire once that gave her own age as being younger than her daughter's.

That's not a great way to spot them because it's too obscure, and they might not have had children before they were turned. But it might help provide confirmation if you have a suspect.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena
Pages: [1] 2