Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I think I have a vampire problem.  (Read 1803 times)

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think I have a vampire problem.
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 10:41:21 am »

You should be screening your migrants on arrival for physical,mental and personality traits that are desirable for jobs you need done; catching a vampire is just icing on the cake. If you want to be 100% sure on catching all the vampires you need to seal off the fort. Have a depot airlock to let traders in and a migrant airlock to isolate and process incoming migrants. Screen and tag migrants as they filter to the migrant airlock.Tag those with alcohol withdrawal, lot's of former homes, heaps of jewelry, large kill lists, and so on. Watch and only let those that get thirsty out.

I could never deal with that degree of micromanagement, personally.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:43:03 am by Pyro627 »
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 12:31:24 pm »

Far whatever reason....I've had vampires arrive lacking that thought (the 'hasnt had a drink in a long time' and its varying degrees).  Im guessing they dont generate this lack in worldgen, or maybe this particularly vamp was cursed right before I founded the fort.

Once the sucka is inside then this thought will certainly manifest itself in time.  My point anyway was that you cannot rely on this single indicator when checking migrants (though a vamp is usually obvious by the 'v'-z' screen, there are several indicators afterall)

This isn't a screening method but one for finding vampires that have been in your fortress longer. Once you find victims drained of blood, I find checking the "needs a drink" thoughts to be the most reliable.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Khanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 01:59:04 pm »

I had a fort where 99% of the population was very dark skinned. I noticed only one guy in stone sense was walking around with very light skin and blonde hair. It was like a movie where you shout at the screen: "one of these things is not like the other!"

Edit: He was a vampire.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:01:45 pm by Khanis »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 02:02:39 pm »

separate them with a glass wall (or window, but those can be destroyed).
Walls are opaque. You could use fortifications though.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 02:03:35 pm »

where you shout at the screen: "one of these things is not like the other!"
VAMPIRES OF SESAME STREET: COMING THIS FALL
My wooden badge was delicious.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 02:21:49 pm »

where you shout at the screen: "one of these things is not like the other!"
VAMPIRES OF SESAME STREET: COMING THIS FALL
They've already got one, though I don't remember the Count ever sucking someone dry.

Which means he just hasn't been caught yet...

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 02:37:20 pm »

"Five Plump Helmets! Ha, Ha, Ha!"
Pages: 1 [2]