Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Looky what I just got  (Read 2692 times)

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looky what I just got
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 02:48:44 pm »

Well if osmium is part of the platinum family, why would we use it for weapons. It's obviously going to be used for finished goods. Just think if you were to get an osmium war hammer though.

Also if you read more into it, it states that its really dangerous to handle, highly toxic when touched or inhaled(? lol). Also, given the humid nature of caverns and dwarven settlements, apparently it will spontaneously ignite, creating lots of death and !!FUN!!. So if somebody did add osmium into df, I'd say it would need to use one ore platinum and one ore osmium. We dont necessarily need all the random explosions or diseases but having to mix it with platinum could add a sense of realism, no?
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Looky what I just got
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 06:47:23 am »

AFAIK only density matters for hammer materials. So Lead>Platinum>Gold.
Is there any SCIENCE on this?

Real life densities for these elements:
Lead: 11.35 g/cm^3
Gold: 19.32 g/cm^3
Platinum: 21.45 g/cm^3

Platinum is the third-densest element in existence, barring those that it's impossible to get enough of in one place to measure density.

From the Wiki, DF densities match these, with units of mg/cm^3 (or alternatively, g/mm^3).
Oh, good to know.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 [2]