Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do you control migrants ?  (Read 2478 times)

ASnogarD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you control migrants ?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 12:56:24 pm »

Hmmm, interesting... so its the 3rd wave on, and its after a caravan has come and gone.
That makes it a bit easier then, at least if the caravan comes I'll have some warning that a horde of layabouts is on thier way ( hmmm prehaps some bridge testing when the layabouts come a calling, the survivors can be kept occupied making coffins and carting off the bodies... or leave the corpses down there and have a haunted moat... fear the horror of the ghostly Cow Milker! ).

Thanks for the replies, I'll try deal with the hordes without lowering the cap... and consider them part of the f-u-n.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 01:59:30 pm »

I was wondering about something that is related to Migrant immigrations...
Currently I have a population cap of 50.
Including children I had 54 just before the 4th migrant wave arrived, now I have 78 dwarves (from which 42 are "engraving" children)...
I am beginning to believe that babies and children do not count towards the population cap.

Is this true you think?

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 03:02:44 pm »

It's difficult to control exactly how many citizens you've got running around, and once I reach about 180 I start looking for work for the majority of them.  So anything that shows up past that, is usually a sacrifice to Armok, and their clothes are reclaimed for use by the rest of my fortress.  In between migration waves I just have 30 new coffins built and stood up in the catacombs.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 03:18:33 pm »

Including children I had 54 just before the 4th migrant wave arrived, now I have 78 dwarves
Did you impose the population cap from the start of the game, or after you embarked?  I know that any waves or unborn babies that were already on their way will still arrive after a cap has been set/changed.  I suppose if the waves are sent frequently enough, they won't take into account the other waves already enroute, allowing a wave to show up after the cap has been reached.

Also, holy Armok you have more children than adults.  Sacrifice them.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 03:22:48 pm »

I was under siege by all manner of horrors... like the dreaded Wax Makers, the horrorific Milkers , even Wood Burners and Pump Operators... yes my friends, a army of migrants of oh so not usefull fools flooded into my fort... I only had something like 6 beds and I get a wave of 39 loitering useless good for nothing elf hugging vampire hiding fake bearded .... halflings, gah... bet the last fort got abandoned and they all pile into mine.

If only we this were true... and could be shared across the interwebs.

PetWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 04:51:48 pm »

I was wondering about something that is related to Migrant immigrations...
Including children I had 54 just before the 4th migrant wave arrived, now I have 78 dwarves (from which 42 are "engraving" children)...
I am beginning to believe that babies and children do not count towards the population cap.

Is this true you think?

Children have a separate cap, but I believe they still count for the overall population cap. However, if you had < 50 the last time a dwarven caravan left, then you'll get migrant waves even if in the meantime migrants and babies have pushed you over the cap. I have my cap set to 100 for my current fort, and got to 150 before they stopped coming, partly because caravans kept dying.

This strikes me as working as intended. I picture the planners at the Mountainhome saying, "They had 49 dwarves, and we sent another 35, so they should have 84 now. They only wanted 50, so we should probably stop sending vampire cheesemakers. Well, maybe just this one last guy that we want to get rid of. And 20 of his closest friends. Anyway they've probably drowned in magma by now, so we'll need to send a crew to pick up the pieces - make it 40. Also, they'll be attacked by goblins along the way, so allow for some attrition - send 50 of our most useless dwarves."

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 10:17:37 pm »

As far as I know, the game only checks the population cap right before the liason says goodbye to your expedition leader . . . so if you adjust it after he's left the map, too late.

My method for controlling immigration is:
Year 1: Live in dirt. Don't dig out ANY stone if at all possible. Even exposing gems and valuable ores might count towards fortress wealth, I don't know.
Optional: Savescum away any migrant wave that fails to balance out each egregiously useless migrant (such as a married High Master Potash Maker) with an equally desirable member of society (e.g., a Great Weaponsmith).
Year 2: Wait until the liason's gone, then dig out tons of bedrooms and brace yourself. The Optional Savescum Rule is still in effect. After your autumn migration, set the population cap to just below your current headcount.
Year 3: Dig an additional 50 bedrooms, just in case some disaster brings your population back down below the cap.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 03:39:29 am »

Because I absolutely get annoyed by having 70+ dwarves running around LONG before I am ready for them I always have the population cap at 50 from the start.

As for the Liason... Not quite sure when he left, all I know is that I went from 36 to 54 to 78 (which being after either migrant wave 2,3 and 4 or 3,4 and 5) without any children being born in the meantime.

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 06:08:34 am »

If you have nothing against utilities, use the plugin "autolabor" from DFHack.
It auto-queues labor assigns for your dwarves. I can't speak with full property, but AFAIK: You enable it, say none of your dwarves have any labors enabled and you designate some mining. In case you didn't set an autolabor cap (a command that goes along the line of autolabor MINING x-y where x is the minimum and y the maximum) it will assign mining to the most fitting dwarves until the job is done.

"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."
Pages: 1 [2]