Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lakeside Fortress question.  (Read 2298 times)

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
Lakeside Fortress question.
« on: August 22, 2012, 02:06:09 pm »

Hello there, I was wondering about something, I just embarked on a nice happy spot that has a joyous plains and a haunted lake all in one, I just walled in most of my fortress except for a small chunk sticking into the lake but otherwise protected from land attacks, my question is should i wall up the side with the lake on it or is it just fine and i don't have to worry about my enemies swimming around into my fortress through that opening. Just wondering as i've never done a lakeside embie before and i'm not sure how it'll go, I'd post a screenshot but i can't remember how to take one on a mac.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lakeside Fortress question.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 02:16:51 pm »

Monsters that spawn in one biome will still travel into others. /ominous_music

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 02:19:15 pm »

Hello there, I was wondering about something, I just embarked on a nice happy spot that has a joyous plains and a haunted lake all in one, I just walled in most of my fortress except for a small chunk sticking into the lake but otherwise protected from land attacks, my question is should i wall up the side with the lake on it or is it just fine and i don't have to worry about my enemies swimming around into my fortress through that opening. Just wondering as i've never done a lakeside embie before and i'm not sure how it'll go, I'd post a screenshot but i can't remember how to take one on a mac.
Command-Shift-4= drag rectangle to take screenie.
Command-Shift-3= whole screen screenshot.
What type of evil? Reanimating, evil rain, blood rain?
Probably shouldn't be a problem if you remove any ramps leading into the lake.
Might get job cancellation spam though if something bad pops up.
Most creatures come on land though.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 02:24:59 pm »

Ooze rain, so far i haven't seen any reanimated feeshes.

Also here's the screenie of my top level, the wall will be finished sometime around when i get my first migrant wave.:

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 02:33:42 pm »

Water usually freezes in winter, which could be a factor depending on your climate.  Even if the lake is a z lower, I would still worry about anything that files.

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 02:38:38 pm »

Zombie fish don't need to breathe, so they can walk right up onto land.  Also further down the line, invasions that have aquatic mounts (giant toads, cave crocodiles), can surpass your walls by jumping into the lake and coming up from there.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 02:42:42 pm »

Wall up waterside and use grates to pump water through, there're always a beast or two that'll swim to get to your dwarves. Learnt the hard way quite a few times before I just seals every water sources :D

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 02:45:09 pm »

The aquatic mounts may not, however, take the oxygen needs of the rider int consideration.  So, a deliberately long and tedious route underwater could serve the purpose of "washing" all the goblin bowmen off of the Salamander mounts.  Kinda like a free trap corridor.

Bonus points if the corridor cycles through opening and closing paths to disrupt pathfinding and make travel times even longer.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 02:49:27 pm »

Thanks for the help everyone, i'll wait till winter and see if it freezes over, if the lake does i'll build a maze in the ice as well as wall up the back section, that way when sumemr thaw comes i'll have a nice littele safety net.

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 03:22:47 pm »

Do invaders on aquatic mounts still completely stop pathfinding when they go underwater?  Or was that fixed?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 11:09:52 am »

Here is my take on a coastal fortress:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-29651-barracks

Its really a terrible design. While I do like embarking with only a single corner of the map as land, to minimize the amount of land that is available and then wall off the edges so no one can fall into the ocean, the design scheme I picked here is just terrible. Its way too cramped.

The walls should have been much simpler with much more open space for glorious, honorable battle. I'm not even sure why I built the dodge-me trap, as its not even used.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 02:04:30 pm »

Careful with the lake. Like the previous posts said, zombie fish and aquatic invaders will enter your fort through the open side. I advise you just wall up all sides.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 04:32:12 pm »

Do invaders on aquatic mounts still completely stop pathfinding when they go underwater?  Or was that fixed?

Not fixed in 34.11... has happened to me.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 04:44:36 pm »

Build drawbridges to the edge of the map, then raise them by linking them to a lever. After you have raised the drawbridges you can dismantle the lever to recover the mechanisms.

Drawbridges combined with constructed walls will prevent anyone from either falling into the water, or attacking you from the water.

irontide

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking like an unconscious liaison in your moat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 05:40:41 pm »

Couldn't you make a series of retracting bridges which are anchored on the lake shore and extends over the lake? That should cut off anything coming out from the water, but still allow the dwarfs to do, say, fishing. Retracting bridges, to allow pathing into the lake when required. Raising bridges would work if you wanted to simply block off all access to the lake, but still have handy fishing platforms.