Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which five races do you most want to see written about in this game?

Zyrius -Parasidic Shapeshifting Jokesters, Happy Trolling Travelers
- 9 (18.8%)
Glarrock -Symbiotic Rat-Lichen-Turtles, Cautious Diplomats
- 5 (10.4%)
Tregaris -Sentient Plantfolk, Survival Escapists
- 7 (14.6%)
Sheaylicai  -Mamalean Dragons, Survivalsts
- 2 (4.2%)
Dakamerawa -Humanoid Amphibians, Cowardly Survivalists
- 4 (8.3%)
Blood Tribe -Sentient Telepathic Carrots, Aggressive Mind Controlers
- 7 (14.6%)
Usola -Marsupial Crows, Curious Agriculturalists
- 7 (14.6%)
Franco Karm -Demonic Humanoids, Dominant Isolationists
- 4 (8.3%)
Sennat -Fox-headed Tentacled Humanoids, Isolated Survivalists
- 3 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: September 02, 2012, 05:30:23 am

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Dragon Spirit Life (Recruitment Closed, Choose Your Players!)  (Read 6942 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Spirit Life
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2012, 03:55:16 pm »

huh? It's filled out. I'm just being concise, and taking from an existing thread. The reason I'm unsure if I should join is insecurity in my writing still, having enough time, and that the idea might not fit the style Haika is intending.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2012, 04:02:17 pm »

Well... for likes on the various applications;
The ledreo and talids are exceptionally creative (unless it's taken from some game i don't know of :p) and the mammalian dragonfolk are definitely a unique spin on humanoid dragons.

There is a few things about the ledreo I don't understand though, for instance is their flight more like jumping with really slow falling or can they actually fly?  Also what did you mean about the accumulated wounds, would one who lived a very peaceful injury free life live for a far longer time?

The jesters definitely have the room for a great story and an interesting race, and the ability to effectively clone things appearance is cool but possibly a bit over-powered?  On the other hand depending on how they utilize it it could just make for some great jokes ;).

Minor dislikes:
The glatt seem to me to be based solely on fighting?  Or is it just supposed to represent on how they have survived up to this point?

People not discussing things

Everyone having such different and creative applications it's hard to criticize :p

I also realize they way I wrote mine is a bit chaotic and confusing, I'd be happy to answer questions or make a shorter point-formish type sheet if someone wants?
Nom nom nom

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2012, 04:56:10 pm »

Well...I can't really think of much to say, except that I find the concept of the glatt being demonic and yet recently evolved from animals unlikely. Unless they evolved from primates that were somehow demonic or something.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2012, 05:00:54 pm »

Simulconviventes
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was just wondering if I have a species that has two sub-species, that have symbiotic relationship in order to survive and thrive as a civilization.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:16:03 pm by jaass »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2012, 05:12:15 pm »

Working on mine. Until then, I guess I'll critique:

Tribe Name:
Sheaylicai

Race Name:
Draselah (Also known as drakelings, dragonmen etc.)
They're alright. Kind of bland, in the don't-have-more-eyes-than-normal kind of way. A solid option if we can't pull together enough walking crab salads, is I guess my opinion.

[spoiler=modified]
Tribe Name: Franco Karm(members referred to as Karms)
Race Name: Glatt
Ice demon people things. Also alright, more interesting than the dragons, I think, but still kind of boil down to "demon-shaped humans living in a frozen wasteland." Which isn't bad or anything, just less interesting than they appear at first glance, I suppose.

Tribe Name: Zyrius (Zyrii, Zyrian)

Race Name: Jesters (Jester)
I like these. The constant joke thing gives them that inhuman goal bit that tends to be the difference between inhuman and human with a weird diet or something. That said... they're also kind of aimless. Is running around pulling pranks on people really going to be a sustainable goal to bring them to a proper civilization? I guess it could be.

Tribe Name:Sennat
Race Name: Ledreo
These guys are pretty cool. Fundamentally I guess they are just those "humans with a different diet" I just mentioned, but they're telekinetic floating fox jellyfish folk who cannot take a punch and manipulate things with their own blood. I like them.

Tribe Name: Oolahtorh
Race Name: Deep Nobles
I'm gonna be honest here, I'm not reading an entire page of stuff because you feel linking it counts as being "concise." That's the opposite of concise, and frankly lazy as well. Even if you were playing them straight out of the box, I'd want to hear about them in your own words.

Otherwise, tentacle-things under the sea. Alright. I'm now confused as to why these "aren't animals," but I guess that's the least of my concerns at this point.

Annnnd done for now. That's like half of what we've got so far, right?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2012, 05:27:38 pm »

I like all races, but of cause I'd like another plant race, because that's mean competition for the same resources (good soil and sunny places) and that's fun. And Tregaris just look fun

Also I like Franco Karm, originality is good, but I prefer to see one humanoid race, just to compare others to human-like group

One thing that I am not sure about, Is tribal strength\weakness absolute or relative to other tribes of the same race?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2012, 05:39:09 pm »

Good to see people are still interested in this and at least someone other than myself is posting and thinking about how things are going.

Here's a little recap on what we have as applications so far, and some questions/thoughts I have for each group.

-Sheaylicai(Taricus)

-Karms(Lillipad)

-Zyrii(Nuke9.13)

-Sennat(Racnor)

-Oolahtorh(Armok)

-Tregaris(Kilakan)

-Usola(micelus)

-Blood Tribe(Ukrainian Ranger)

Reserve

I was just wondering if I have a species that has two sub-species, that have symbiotic relationship in order to survive and thrive as a civilization.

A symbiotic race is perfectly fine, just have to make sure and write it all out to operate like any other group and we should be good.

We have 8 so far, and a few others still working on sheets. I we should probably put a deadline for more tribes at this weekend. Say by Sunday night 11pm EST. Then we can try and get things started on monday(though I expect a couple days of voting on which tribes to use).
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2012, 06:06:53 pm »

Yea about my world i was considering doing some revision and fleshing out... actually I'll do that now a bit:
The jungle within a canyon is all my tribe knows about at the moment, however above the canyon edge it would be tundra with very little atmosphere sort of like what happens at the top of extremely tall mountains on earth.  Criss-crossing the face of the planet is many fissures such as the initial forest, each with diverse biomes and different life-forms trapped within.  Deep underneath the tundra is a network of expansive caves supplying the water to each of the different sub-biomes.  If evolution or some magic becomes available to my tribe then the 'defected' fungal born would be able to survive past childhood and since they do not rely on sunlight and are capable of consuming decaying material they would be able to splinter off into the cavern systems.  Of  course due to the caves other biomes creatures may occasionally wander into the forest as well.

Of course revision is always possible before we begin and if anyone wanted to 'splice' worlds together that could make for a extremely interesting game ;)

On my race, yea the shutting down at night was something that i was thinking about when I included the fungal-born defects, since they wouldn't need to rely on sunlight but instead rotting matter (aka they have to actually eat, and to live possibly eat quite a lot) they could serve as the defacto front line warriors and night guards.  On the other hand they are just a random sort of disease/mutation.  That and having the entire tribe shutting down for hours on end only to wake up and see a large herbivore chewing up the children could make for some good writing fuel ;)
Nom nom nom

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2012, 06:10:01 pm »

I like all races, but of cause I'd like another plant race, because that's mean competition for the same resources (good soil and sunny places) and that's fun. And Tregaris just look fun
That reminds me, would mind-control of sentient plants be possible for the Blood Tribe?  If so that could make for good competition since your power determines the size of what you control and increases as you age and my peoples size increases as they age.  We could end up in a battle of who has the oldest ;p
Nom nom nom

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2012, 06:20:27 pm »

ok, my take on things:
Both living plant races are really creative, and distinct, though the talid are missing strengths and weaknesses. I would love to see them interact.
The jesters aren't really that overpowered. Not only are they weak to hard work, they are also only as strong as the nearest sentient. More than that, I think we can trust Nuke to use them humorously.

The Karm and Sheaylicai are, as said, fairly human. however, a large percentage of the writers on this forum are humans. both still have potential.

I agree about the deep nobles. You could run a game around them by yourself, but they're too built up for this one.

As to the Ledreo, they were intended to have a body structure of an anthropomorphic fox except that:
a) They're thin. Very thin.
b) Their bones are less dense than those of birds, making them very light.
c) Instead of arms, their upper torso is covered in a ton of long, wispy tentacles.
d) they propel themselves through the air by waving their tentacles in unison, while their legs, which are fairly weak, kick at the ground, resulting in a series of bouncing leaps.
Gravity is the same, it's just that their bones are very light and their blood makes a few heavy organs unnecessary.

As for the magic, yes, they can grow crude structures.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2012, 06:40:51 pm »

With the amount of everyone misunderstanding each other every which way so far, I'm pretty sure I will not be joining, as I'd only get frustrated.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2012, 08:16:55 pm »

Yeah, basically what I mean Haika. As for the vines, I imagine the cici have just recently found the proper method of inducing growth and that the vine is already quite numerous around their territory. Their domestication just means that there's more around the village than usual and that they don't need to compete with other species for it.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2012, 11:12:04 pm »

Updated my post above
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:18:34 pm by jaass »

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2012, 12:24:37 am »

Kilakan & Miceclus: I based the Glatt around the idea that we're not necessarily playing a new race, but rather that we're playing an existing one in parts of the world that could have been previously inhabited. Our tribes just happen to be "primitive." And I set my tribe in an area that can't be lived in by a normal race, so they're a bit more beast-like when they start than the other races, hence their leanings in combat.

Irony: They're kind of supposed to seem like humans, being primarily evolved from them, but I can understand why you'd want a more "demonic" demon race. If I'm accepted into the game, and I get any Elders, I'll be able to show some of the less human qualities of the race.
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2012, 01:35:30 am »

Going to try and Defy the deadline

PS: Yes I know I have abused a Latin name
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 03:56:59 am by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6