Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which five races do you most want to see written about in this game?

Zyrius -Parasidic Shapeshifting Jokesters, Happy Trolling Travelers
- 9 (18.8%)
Glarrock -Symbiotic Rat-Lichen-Turtles, Cautious Diplomats
- 5 (10.4%)
Tregaris -Sentient Plantfolk, Survival Escapists
- 7 (14.6%)
Sheaylicai  -Mamalean Dragons, Survivalsts
- 2 (4.2%)
Dakamerawa -Humanoid Amphibians, Cowardly Survivalists
- 4 (8.3%)
Blood Tribe -Sentient Telepathic Carrots, Aggressive Mind Controlers
- 7 (14.6%)
Usola -Marsupial Crows, Curious Agriculturalists
- 7 (14.6%)
Franco Karm -Demonic Humanoids, Dominant Isolationists
- 4 (8.3%)
Sennat -Fox-headed Tentacled Humanoids, Isolated Survivalists
- 3 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: September 02, 2012, 05:30:23 am

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Dragon Spirit Life (Recruitment Closed, Choose Your Players!)  (Read 6948 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dragon Spirit Life (Recruitment Closed, Choose Your Players!)
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:14:57 pm »

Hello everyone, I've decided that I'm going to give another forum game a shot.

This will be a fantasy civilization type game. You will run a tribe of people/beings of whatever race, and find resources, food, explore, etc. I want this to have the feel of the game act-raiser, where you are a spirit or god or somesuch guiding these people, but they also have minds of their own for you to deal with.

The primary focus here will be on story and plot. I've run these games before with fancy maps, and big made-up systems with numbers and rules. I'm not really planning to focus on that sort of thing. Stuff will be subjective and I will reason things out with logic. If your tribe had a good hunt the prior turn, then you won't have starvation issues the next and so on. I expect it will be more of a back and forth storytelling between the players(and myself).

Looking for around 4-5 players. I'm not going to take the first few who sign up though, I'm looking for good writers, and creative ideas. So reply here with an application. I'll give it a couple days, then choose the most interesting to start off(feel free to vote/give support if you see someone else's application you like).

----------------------
Tribe Name:
Race Name:
Race Description:
World/Region Name:
World/Region Description:
Tribal Personality:
Tribal Strength:
Tribal Weakness:
Initial Story Action:
----------------------

Tribe and Race names should be pretty simple to figure out. What do you call your group as a whole and what do you call your species. Description of the race should give physical descriptions, any sort of mental or mystical things specific to the race, or any cultural things you will want to see happen as your civilization grows.

World name again is just what you call your world, while world description will tell me about where your group lives, Put things in here like biome, animals, plants, resources nearby, neighbors, special things(underwater, surface of a sun, middle of a black hole, etc.)

Personality should be a place to list things like goals and desires of your group. While strength and weakness should be an indication of what you are good and bad at. You can have as many strengths and weaknesses as you like, but be aware the more broad the subject, or the more number of subjects you list I will give you less of a boost when it comes to writing up how it effects things. Also please add at least one strength and one weakness. It will give flavor to your group.

And finally in the application here put in what your tribe would do in the first month. I will write 'turns' based on months, and you can do just about anything, but remember to use common sense and logic and things should work out nicely. I will also try and have at least one random event type thing for each person. I plan to try and make things go around a turn a day, maybe every other day, but I'm not really going to wait on inactive people, nor will I promise constant updates(see below).

Keep in mind that for this game I want things to be very fluid and open. I don't know how long my interest will stay, I tend to fade as games go on. I'd like to get this to a point where the players could continue on enjoying the game even if I'm not responding constantly. I think this has the potential for such.

My responses will be mostly to keep things moving, and to weave the story between groups that may or may not ever meet. Stuff like combat between mer-folk and space shadows from a black hole will likely have major debates here in the thread. I don't want to be as much of a judge, as a mediator for such debates, until logic and common sense reasoning can push things along. And as such, I will likely make up a race of my own, so that I can pass on the mediator role to someone else if the time comes.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 03:28:47 am by Haika »
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Spirit Life
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 08:19:02 pm »

Tribe Name:
Sheaylicai

Race Name:
Draselah (Also known as drakelings, dragonmen etc.)

Race Description:
At a basic glance, wingless dragons standing in a humanoid structure. In closer detail while they do resemble their larger cousins, biologically they're far more divergent than what their appearance would relay. Draselah are omnivorous in diet, and are mammals compared to the reptilian nature of their larger relatives. Their tails are also smaller in relation to their bodies than they are on regular dragons. Scale colour are a mix of of "Cool" colours, with blacks and whites mixed in for good measure. While the Draselah are able to breathe fire, this ability is limited to certain individuals, however the ability to do so is not hereditary.

Region Name:
Luxila Foothills.

Region Description:
The Luxila Foothills are lightly wooded, usually having fairly large grasslands between major woodland areas. It is bordered bordered on two sides by mountains, on one side by forest and one side by a large lake.

The region is dominated by the Ilannoal River running though the middle, providing fertile foraging and hunting grounds, While lake Teayl teems with fish and other freshwater marine life. The mountains are supposedly rich in ores (Not that it's able to be confirmed at this point), though the shinly black splotches marring the white dolemite surface of the mountain ranges that surround the majority of their natural borders.

The forest of the region and it's neighbors are generally deciduous, though some evergreens like cypress are able to be found, due to the subtropical climate of the region.

The region has a fair variety of animals
Tribal Personality:
The Sheaylicai are preoccupied with survival and settlement at the moment, putting their efforts into making the tribe as a whole survive. They would like to start focusing on learning about their environment and how to manipulate it to benefit them without damaging it too much.

Tribal Strengths:
While technologically unable to do so, some Draselah are aware that seeds are a method of plant reproduction, given the chance to develop their knoledge of this on different soils would easily allow them to become quite proficient farmers along with time to practice agriculture.

The Draselah also have a keen understanding of the properties of most metals, knowing what they need to melt them, and how mest to utilize the metal once it has been refined into a more mallable and usable state.

The Draselah posses the same cunning intelligence as their relatives, adapted to their situation. They are able to formulate plans on the go, making them fairly reliable ambushers and trappers among other things.
(Farming, Metalworking, Natural Cunning)
Tribal Weakness:
The Draselah are first and formost weak to the cold, though they have yet to discover this weakness due to the climate that nearly all of the Draselah live in.

The Draselah are also prone to bouts of arrogance and pride, which can end in bloodshed but is usually taken up to an arbiter before it decents into violence (though this usually means the position of arbiter itself is seen as a desirable office due to the prestige involved in getting stuck into other's business.

And like their relatives, the Draselah are prone to hoarding, though it is not applied on the same scale that their larger cousins have. A draselah will always have a horde they try to expand, but unlike dragons, they tend to horde things of signifigant cultural value, rather than material value. An average horde would consist of several well-crafted statuettes and decorated pottery, though the quality will vary between an individual's status.

Initial Story Action:
The Sheaylicai have just gathered enough people to found a permanent settlement. However, their trackers are still looking for a suitable site for the tribe to settle down in. Finding a suitable site may be difficult, though the scouts have time on their side
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:04:33 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:24:14 pm »

Reserve.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:25:38 pm »

Reserve
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:28:42 pm »

Glad people are showing interest, but just remember I'm not really taking reserves here. xD I want good creative applications, not just the first four blokes who happen to post 'reserve' in the thread.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:35:48 pm »

Glad people are showing interest, but just remember I'm not really taking reserves here. xD I want good creative applications, not just the first four blokes who happen to post 'reserve' in the thread.
I just wanted a spot to place my sheet. :P
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 10:01:48 pm »

Spoiler: modified (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:44:31 am by Lillipad »
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:32:08 pm »

A couple notes:

* Remember that each of you should be starting off from just evolving from animals. Think spore, you just moved into the tribal stage.

* Creativity is what I'm looking for here, Humans to me are pretty bland and boring. Unless you can put more into it to make them interesting, I would suggest staying away from a mundane human. I want the most crazy, most interesting, most different fantastical races you can think of.

* World/Region stuff can basically be anything. I'm again hoping to find something a little more than earth norm, with mountains and forests and the like. Magic can make giant crystals, or you could live inside a ribbon world around a sun, or inside a hollow world with very little light at all.

All that said, Karms are good enough, if I don't find others I like better. Though I am wondering, how exactly are squirrels a weakness? XD

Oh and anyone is welcome to change their sheet at any time. At least until I post saying we will no longer accept applications. And don't forget to give your thoughts in the thread here about other people's applications as well. If everyone but me likes the Karms by all means, I'm happy to put them in.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:34:12 pm by Haika »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 10:53:55 pm »

Arright, arright.

One note, yeah- months is an awfully short time if yer looking to go from tribes to intercontinental (interplanetary?) warfare. Might want to consider upping that to, say, generations. Or decades if you want historical characters to be any relevant.

Anyhoo...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Long Live United Forenia!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 11:54:46 pm »

Haika tribe game. Yes. In.

I want the most crazy, most interesting, most different fantastical races you can think of.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Now I'll probably get writer's block and suddenly want to play something cliche.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 11:58:30 pm »

Crags found on Earth are pretty crazy already. I didn't want to go too crazy, so I figured anything special about the area would be left up to you if you took my sheet. If wackiness is what you're going for, though, then I'll edit some in, along with making my civ/race sound a bit more early tribe.

Just for reference, what kind of line are you going to draw for how crazy we can go?

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 12:13:40 am »

The line is subjective. If there's a reasonable common sense about certain things they there's no problem. The only thing I would warn about is getting too godmode. You need to remember you are making mortals, even undead can die again and the like. Other than that, try and think about what you'd like to write, what would be the most fun to develop a story about, what would be interesting to read. etc.

Oh and avoid things that might get you banned on the forums. But hopefully that falls under the common sense part of things.

Also still waiting on an explanation on why Squirrels are a weakness. Before I make the whole race think they are devil creatures who suck the souls of a person's ancestors out via acorns and bury them in a hell torment cache under the local oak tree. With far reaching biblical type religious effect to the tribe. xD

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 12:22:54 am »

The Jesters look interesting, but you will need to make up a host for them to live off of. I suppose you could just easily use a mundane human settlement if you like, or even another player's race if they are willing and you wish to work with them.

As to the Dragonfolk:

Wingless dragons make me think more of lizardmen than dragons, but I suppose it could work. Also if they are mammals, I assume that means they have hair?

Also, evergreens are a cold climate tree, not temperate, you want broadleaf trees for that, birch, oak, maple and the like. I think the sentence there got cut off. and if you want the species not to know cold, they you likely want tropical. Palm trees, and the like. Temperate climes would still have winters, and possible snow and frigid temps.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:35:37 am by Haika »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 12:31:16 am »

To the question of months for the turn times: Anyone else have any thoughts? If we jump up to years we lose things that may be seasonal like good harvests or migrating animals, and if we go even further to generations we loose getting strong characters like elders and heroes. I could see increasing the turn time to say 3 month seasons type thing, if a month is too short.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:33:35 am by Haika »

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 12:41:56 am »

If we need to, we'll crank it up, but a month sounds good to me. I think you'll like the new race a bit more, assuming you don't find them too ridiculous.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6