Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Challenge: Save my fortress  (Read 8025 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge: Save my fortress
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2012, 12:26:03 am »

Story-ified beginning.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sigh. Busy busy. After some orders were given, I declare these done so far (or at least in progress):

- dissuaded goblins from staying around temporarily. lost a few dwarves in the process
 - created burrow I call "inside", and assigned an alert for all civilians to go there the next time something happens.
 - got rid of military and captain of the guard, as they're a bad idea right now. Sorry Aban Elderoils, but you're not doing this now.
 - I ordered all weapons moved inside though, just in case we can get that done before sealing off the fort. By extionsion, all armor should be moved as well.
 - I allowed cobaltite a buildable material - am going to seal off the outer wall with that.
 - about tripled the raw area of the dining room. It's still ugly, but that'll do for now until we can get something better.
 - ordered several small farms up top. Ordered biscuits to be made from plump helmet spawn, as well as any seeds only useful for making dye. We're not making dye anymore.
 - ordered hole dug over the accidentally created water something or other. Seriously, there is like a little pond in the middle of the fort. We're drinking form that now. Booze is a luxury.
 - ordered a second kitchen built where there used to be a farm. It's a silly place for a farm anyways.
 - Ordered the planting of plump helmets, quarry bushes, prickle berries, and strawberries. Hopefully... we wont' all starve.
 - I actually enabled the planting labor on a bunch of dwarves. Most of the farmers wouldn't plant anything!
 - set up 2-dwarf military to train in the dining room.
 - expanded doorway of dining room - dwarves should move through here easily than they currently were.
 - started the production of Coffins

Edit: added things I've done.
Edit 2, with story update:

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 12:28:13 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2012, 02:34:52 pm »

My 4th attempt ended in a Goblin assault where they were mounted on giant cave swallows and brought cave dragons.  The swallows flew over the walls, and the dragons busted the temporary door I had set up to reach the outside when my outer gate malfunctioned.

Note to self: MAKE AMMUNITION FOR YOUR MARKSDWARVES!!!
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2012, 06:50:37 am »

Iam curios but is this a challenge you made on purpos or your new... OR !!FUN!! luck?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2012, 05:36:58 pm »

5the Hematite, 140, early summer'
Next part of story

Breaking news! (IE Edit)

Some more news, though less critical

The Return of the darkness!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 07:48:28 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 06:37:48 am »

After repeated attempts at saving the fort, my best stabilization has resulted in a population of just 50 dwarves.  The fort used to be overcrowded, but now with all the expansions I've made, it feels so empty.

I was playing with a low population cap, so didn't get any migrants to shore up the population with the legions of the sane.

I've learned a lot about tantrum spirals, but sadly not how to break the cycle.  It'll probably take something drastic.  Would it work to shove off all the "Miserable" dwarves to their own special burrow of shame so that their tantruming and fistfights won't ruin the healthy folks?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 09:46:03 am »

I think I can say it's stable now at 52 dwarves (23 of which are children). But I don't feel confident in it's completeness - there are huge sieges going on on a regular basis, and my two-person knife military that's just started sparring isn't going to kill any of them. So "stable" means "still cut off from the real world, but at least not committing suicide so often". Yup.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2012, 02:41:18 pm »

I think I can say it's stable now at 52 dwarves (23 of which are children). But I don't feel confident in it's completeness - there are huge sieges going on on a regular basis, and my two-person knife military that's just started sparring isn't going to kill any of them. So "stable" means "still cut off from the real world, but at least not committing suicide so often". Yup.
And murder, don't forget the murder.

Something interesting which struck me through multiple replays is that it's usually the same group of dwarves who tend to survive.  It makes me wonder if perhaps the tantrum spiral weeds out everybody with weak personalities, who succumb to stress easily.  Is the average mental fortitude of the fortress increased after such a harrowing?

The random variable though is with the murders.  It's the murders that really make it spiral out of control, but they are simply the accidental results of the constant fistfights which are breaking out all over the place.  I think it's the fistfights, more than anything else, which is the primary "Contagion" of this insanity, since attacked people are often injured and unhappy, and the fort has no thread to suture wounds.  If you could just stop angry dwarves from hurting innocents, then I think it should be possible to wrap up the spiral with over 100 dwarfs left.

How would one go about protecting the innocent dwarves from the violence of tantrums?
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2012, 04:17:27 pm »

a working jail maybe can lock fistfighter for a little while allowing them and others to cool off.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 04:39:44 pm »

a working jail maybe can lock fistfighter for a little while allowing them and others to cool off.
Justice is bugged. Only murder, Violation of production order, and export-ban-violation shows up.

EDIT: I just had a massive deja vu just now. Weird.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2012, 06:29:01 pm »

This was entertaining to read.  I haven't looked at too many shared fortresses, so is this sort of "fix my disaster" deal common?

And if not, why isn't it?  It sounds much more complex and interesting than standard "no resource" challenges and suchlike.

--Rexfelum

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2012, 07:06:24 pm »

This was entertaining to read.  I haven't looked at too many shared fortresses, so is this sort of "fix my disaster" deal common?
And if not, why isn't it?  It sounds much more complex and interesting than standard "no resource" challenges and suchlike.
I've never seen anything like this before. It is pretty interesting, too, although I'm not sure most people want others to "save" their fortresses, only to let someone else power through the Fun! parts. On another note, this particular fort sounds like it needs a little more than your standard share of forced resuscitation...  :P

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2012, 07:28:18 pm »

lol yes this is a bit of a mess. Something like 1/3 of the inhabitants are Miserable, theres no food, no booze, no animals except one pet dog iirc, and no military personel or gear to speak of. A couple ghosts floating around, and about 6 beds for 100+ dwarves.

One of the few thing it has going for it is a drawbridge airlock on the entrance, and a half dozen cage traps.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2012, 11:50:48 pm »

One of the few thing it has going for it is a drawbridge airlock on the entrance, and a half dozen cage traps.
careful there - one of those bridges aren't raised, and I'm pretty sure there is no lever attached to either.

<snip>
And murder, don't forget the murder.

Something interesting which struck me through multiple replays is that it's usually the same group of dwarves who tend to survive.  It makes me wonder if perhaps the tantrum spiral weeds out everybody with weak personalities, who succumb to stress easily.  Is the average mental fortitude of the fortress increased after such a harrowing?

The random variable though is with the murders.  It's the murders that really make it spiral out of control, but they are simply the accidental results of the constant fistfights which are breaking out all over the place.  I think it's the fistfights, more than anything else, which is the primary "Contagion" of this insanity, since attacked people are often injured and unhappy, and the fort has no thread to suture wounds.  If you could just stop angry dwarves from hurting innocents, then I think it should be possible to wrap up the spiral with over 100 dwarfs left.

How would one go about protecting the innocent dwarves from the violence of tantrums?
murder... it hasn't been that huge of an issue for me. At least not intentional murder - only accidents happening during a tantrum, accidental starvation, and a few to strange moods.

The lack of thread is a problem, though I didn't honestly take care of any of the wounded anyways.

As for the personalities - there is definitely something to that. There is also the whole network-mesh not going through the whole fort. Not everyone is friends with everyone, so when a few die, not all of the fort is affected. Some of the dwarves were actually pretty fine all things considered.

For 100 dwarves left standing... without migrants bumping that up, I don't see it happening. You could minimize spirals if you quarantine i think, but there just isn't enough resources to keep any of them Happy that I see.

Maybe... if we dig deeper? Then we could hypothetically find valuable materials that all dwarves will love, and make higher valuable rooms/items for them to enjoy.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2012, 07:27:52 am »

Couldn't you just atomsmash all the miserables? Missing dwarves don't get unhappy thoughts... or cause them, for that matter.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Maur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2012, 09:33:43 am »

I took a look at the save. That's not a fortress. That a hastily dug hole in the earth packed with miserable dwarves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4