Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What does it take to make an interesting fortress following thread?  (Read 1296 times)

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile

I've kind of wanted to do my own fortress where you guys follow the adventures of what goes on, give me ideas on what to do, like challenges or something. "Build this or that" and stuff, naming dwarves after you guys, that kind of thing. It wouldn't be a yearly trade off thread, more of a solo type of thing. My other concern though is making it interesting. I wouldn't want to just drone on with boring stuff. Anything you guys can suggest?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: What does it take to make an interesting fortress following thread?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 05:00:59 pm »

As many screenshots, visualizations and eye-candy as you can fit into the post would be good. People like pictures. I wouldn't read a text-only story because then I'd miss out on the fortress layout and architecture - I swear it's interesting!
My wooden badge was delicious.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 05:05:25 pm »

Oh trust me I know I'd have to take tons of screenshots ^^ Any other advice? I'm a little tentative right now.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 05:05:42 pm »

Check out the forum section DF Community Games & Stories. It's full of exactly what you describe. I've done a few myself, though never quite as successfully as others. Specifically what you are describing is a Community Fortress.

I would highly recommend looking at The Hall of Legends and reading a few of the threads there, or at least a bit of light browsing.

Nist Akath was the thread that truly got me interested in Dwarf Fortress in the first place. Quite an epic community fortress, well written, and interesting.
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 05:12:06 pm »

Read up on the previous popular threads and formulate common denominators.  Well-written entries are received better than barely literate schizophasia -- unless, of course, that is the intent.  Compelling characters create a sense of attachment (nobody would've cared about Urist the mad dwarf were she simply a right-minded mule of a character).  Other than that, a simple knowledge of pacing, pattern, and other basic good writing techniques.

As for challenges, odd locations are always attention-getters.  If you can find an island small enough to embark upon that even other dwarves cannot reach you and design a "Swiss Family Robinson"-style of gameplay (Scottish Clan Melbil?), claiming your dwarves arrived after a calamitous attempt at building a sailing vessel, you could attract a lot of interest.  It's exotic, and every dwarven and pet life would be truly precious as they couldn't be easily replaced.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 05:12:41 pm »

Essentially, it needs lots of pictures and a good story. Or at least lots of pictures and entertaining writing.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 05:24:13 pm »

Well I've been roleplaying with a friend for years over IM, I suppose that's a little bit of background credentials. I will follow your other advice soundly and read up on those threads. I've also read the 3 famous DF LPs on the let's play archive from Something Awful.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 05:36:28 pm »

I know I just mentioned this in another thread yesterday, but if you want to see an example of how to keep people engaged in a story fort, look up Soaplanterns.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 07:02:54 pm »

Make it unique. Another temple to Armok sacrificing nobles, elves, soapers, and the occasional goblin? Ho hum. A fortress made entirely out of soap? Huh, that's neat!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 07:11:32 pm »

I'm just unsure of what I could do to make it interesting.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 07:57:30 pm »

Come up with a theme, post it, and wait for feedback.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 08:26:58 pm »

I suppose we could go with an ice theme, a sort of Fortress of Solitude vibe. That was the first idea that came to my head. So we'd have to settle somewhere cold.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 09:56:19 pm »

Pictures and good writing are 90% of it.  Interesting topic is just bonus.  Go for it!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 09:58:45 pm »

If you have interesting features, short videos showing them off can be very enjoyable.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 12:47:04 pm »

Don't be too cautious. Disaster makes for good storytelling.
Pages: [1] 2