Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Funeral  (Read 4072 times)

Urist Glimmerbowels

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Mayor of Drunkencraft
    • View Profile
Dwarven Funeral
« on: August 21, 2012, 11:56:11 am »

So the other day I was thinking about my favorite subject: Viking Funerals. You know, where they would put the viking on a boat, set it on fire, and send it off to sea?

After my new fortress suffered its first goblin ambush and I locked my best engraver outside to be murdered horribly, I thought maybe I should honour his soon-to-be-reanimated corpse in a fitting tribute. Also, his disembodied head chased off a rampaging Cyclops.

Anyways, dwarves aren't a particularly naval people - they don't build boats and water is only good for washing off blood. Fire, however, suits them well. I decided to dwarf up the tradition a bit. Instead of a boat, I'd use a minecart, and I'd combine fire and water for a slightly different sea.

I started this fortress by burrowing all the way to the center of the world, which makes getting around slow and tedious but I don't have to use coal so it's worth it, dammit. At the very bottom I dug out a graveyard/corpse dump, placed some loving memorials to the dearly departed, threw them all in a pile, loaded them up in a wooden cart, gave it a push, and sent it careening into the earth's glorious liquid heart. It's efficient, industrious, and ends in fire. It's exactly how they'd want it.

I toyed with the idea of loading them up with personal possessions, so they'd have the tiny molten fragments to use in the afterlife, but that would be a horrible waste of materials. No no, they leave this world the way they entered it: bearded and naked.

Oh, and as the cart sinks and burns, in the very last instant before it disappears forever, it touches down on a vein of adamantine. I designed it to do that.

(As for the goblins who killed him, I threw them into a very deep pit filled with snakes.)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Funeral
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 12:48:57 pm »

After my new fortress suffered its first goblin ambush and I locked my best engraver outside to be murdered horribly, I thought maybe I should honour his soon-to-be-reanimated corpse in a fitting tribute.
threw them all in a pile, loaded them up in a wooden cart, gave it a push, and sent it careening into the earth's glorious liquid heart.
So much about honoring.
But the idea of replicating viking burial this way is genius.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 01:20:57 pm »

After my new fortress suffered its first goblin ambush and I locked my best engraver outside to be murdered horribly, I thought maybe I should honour his soon-to-be-reanimated corpse in a fitting tribute.
threw them all in a pile, loaded them up in a wooden cart, gave it a push, and sent it careening into the earth's glorious liquid heart.
So much about honoring.
But the idea of replicating viking burial this way is genius.
It could be done one by one if you wanted. It'd just take longer and need more minecarts.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 02:20:23 pm »

Build a non-magma-safe metal minecart. Piling them in wood in death is the worst insult you can do to a dwarf.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 02:38:06 pm »

Build a non-magma-safe metal minecart. Piling them in wood in death is the worst insult you can do to a dwarf.
1. How so?
2. Copper would be ideal

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 02:43:01 pm »

If I recall correctly, a viking funeral was done at sunset. If the flames matched the color of the sunset it was believed the departed would be going/had gone to Valhalla.

Okay, so how can we Dwarf up that aspect of viking funerals?

Wait.... wasn't the burning boat treatment only given to warriors? Some vikings ended up in the ground. That's how the whole horned helmet fallacy came to be. Since vikings were buried with their drinking horns it was presumed, when first discovered, that the horns fell off the helmets.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 02:50:32 pm »

For land-vikings, you build a giant wooden ship for them outside. Then you either drop magma on it so it burns or encase it in obsidian. That would be similar to the wooden vessels they find inland with all sorts of treasures.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 04:34:04 pm »

Instead of dropping the cart into magma I think it should be accelerated and skipped across the surface.  More skips is a sign of good luck for them in the After Fort.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 04:43:05 pm »

I think of the afterfort alot...
Its embarked on a hill of meat and has a river of hevan mead, and homes and furniture are made of spoilerite!!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 04:44:57 pm »

Instead of dropping the cart into magma I think it should be accelerated and skipped across the surface.  More skips is a sign of good luck for them in the After Fort.
If they skip enough they should hit a bump or something to propel the contents out the cart. If their bodies hit a wall and violently explode it is a sign that they will become Armok's personal assistants.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 08:37:45 pm »

I'm almost certain that dwarves would enjoy the thought of burning wood as their last act. Alternatively, someone could try to mod in bone minecarts....

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 09:26:47 pm »

It took me quite some time to get a shaft down to the magma sea, but all the bodies now get tossed down to the SMR.
NO coffins, NO slabs.

My fort is a bit like the Hotel California, and the population is 50% ghosts (all forlorn or restless and thus harmless).

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 09:29:10 pm »

The give living dwarves bad thoughts. no So harmless, eh?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 09:44:54 pm »

So when I saw 'Dwarven Funeral' the song that instantly came to mind was this. A proper funeral requires proper funeral music.
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 04:04:33 pm »

After I read just the first sentence of the original post, I started picturing a cast obsidian "boat" that travels down from the volcano's caldera to the SMR below, then a new boat is cast for the next lucky traveler. 
Pages: [1] 2