Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Funeral  (Read 4077 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Funeral
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 07:16:48 pm »

So when I saw 'Dwarven Funeral' the song that instantly came to mind was this. A proper funeral requires proper funeral music.

Very fitting music for a dwarven funeral... Good job on finding that
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 10:07:24 pm »

Weirdly enough I was watching a Protomen video on Youtube recently, linked from somewhere. Might have been here actually.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 10:17:31 pm »

Toady should add in more valid burial methods, like this. (By valid I mean won't cause a ghost)
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

AndreaReina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 11:17:09 pm »

Channel a pit, dump body in pit, fill with water, dump water magma to cast obsidian. Space the blocks so that you can eventually channel out the non-obsidian blocks and have your living dwarves walk them, or cast a congruous area to have an obsidian floor of the dead (you'd need a lot though). You can then use the room for an appropriate purpose, but I can't think of one right now. Great song btw.

Edited for correctness
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:19:06 pm by AndreaReina »

Urist Glimmerbowels

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Mayor of Drunkencraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 09:40:59 pm »

Build a non-magma-safe metal minecart. Piling them in wood in death is the worst insult you can do to a dwarf.
1. How so?
2. Copper would be ideal

Instead of dropping the cart into magma I think it should be accelerated and skipped across the surface.  More skips is a sign of good luck for them in the After Fort.

You are wise and benevolent rulers. I'll give those ideas a try and let you know how it goes!

So when I saw 'Dwarven Funeral' the song that instantly came to mind was this. A proper funeral requires proper funeral music.

Oh, that's perfect. Next time I "accidentally" lock one of my valuable dwarves outside to die horrible/valiant deaths, I will play this to honour them :'|

Also guy-who-threw-everyone-down-a-garbage-chute: that works too. Just engrave some memorial slabs and you won't have ghosts! I mean, unless you want them. And who wouldn't, really

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 09:58:28 pm »

Channel a pit, dump body in pit, fill with water, dump water to cast obsidian. Space the blocks so that you can eventually channel out the non-obsidian blocks and have your living dwarves walk them, or cast a congruous area to have an obsidian floor of the dead (you'd need a lot though). You can then use the room for an appropriate purpose, but I can't think of one right now. Great song btw.
That is an amazing idea. I usually just dig mausoleums or big halls of slabs but obsidian (or ice?) funeral sounds interesting, albeit a bit too troublesome for every hauler and potash maker. I will try it on my nobles and militia commanders. (Perhaps even post-mortem if they behave really well.)

I have always considered the dwarven funerals kind of like flushing a dead hamster down a toilet. Only after hearing this music I started considering them as being something more epic.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 10:03:57 pm »

I've always been a fan of mausoleums. There's something about halls of coffins stretching out across the screen. Plus if you ever have a necromancer adventurer, well...

BUT, I concur, the idea of freezing them in ice sounds delicious. I could have the 'zoo' where I put frozen whatever i have on hand too!
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 10:25:15 pm »

What about returning them to the stone?

dump them in a hole, add water and magma, they get encased in obsidian, then mine around the cast obsidian leaving an obsidian pillar, smooth, engrave, and place an obsidian (or the dwarf favorite stone/metal) slab in front of the pillar, eventually you'll have a long corridor with the engraved obsidian pillars memorialising the fallen dwarves.

You can dump them in the hole via minecart if you prefer, can make a magma pool in the middle of the mausoleum corridor/courtyard maybe make an statue in their honour and have the mausoleum double as statue garden.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:28:28 pm by Kaos »
Pages: 1 [2]