Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A new power source - would this be possible?  (Read 3321 times)

Rogem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A new power source - would this be possible?
« on: August 21, 2012, 11:07:56 am »

See the spoiler for a picture of what I'm thinking of here :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Main problems are:
1) Is it possible to direct the steam to the right place, and if is, how?
2) Would it be possible avoid any... "accidents" with the steam pipe going through the more frequented parts of my fortress?

Any and all suggestions as to how I would come about doing this thing, using the generated power and steam are much appreciated. Also, why not try it out as well and tell me how it went, eh? (I don't have the kind of brain to make something that utilizes the power produced by anything.) I was aiming for a possible defence mechanism sauna for my dwarves, being really fond of saunas myself.

FIRST BLOOD! I mean, post.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: A new power source - would this be possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 11:11:42 am »

Well. Is there a way to turn the steam back to water? If we can do that, it can be a completely closed system. Also, if you want your dwarfs to survive the sauna, I'd pipe water through pipes surrounded by steam to heat it up and mist my precious little masons.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 11:15:10 am »

The issue is a bit more fundamental than you might think. Unfortunately at this time the game does not really have any sort of gases except mist, miasma, and some poison, as well as magma mist. All of these gases behave pretty much the same, and very different than how you might expect steam to behave in real life. That said it would be awesome to set up something like a steam engine below a fortress and 'fuel' it with magma mist, but nothing even remotely functional could be made.

Rogem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:19:21 am »

The issue is a bit more fundamental than you might think. Unfortunately at this time the game does not really have any sort of gases except mist, miasma, and some poison, as well as magma mist. All of these gases behave pretty much the same, and very different than how you might expect steam to behave in real life. That said it would be awesome to set up something like a steam engine below a fortress and 'fuel' it with magma mist, but nothing even remotely functional could be made.

Welp, that's a bit of a problem. Need to get proper steam into DF :D

Possibly involves convincing toady about the Fun parts of having a steam engine or stuff like that running within DF?

Edit: we still do have steam that behaves like smoke - except virtually non-lethal in current version, judging by what the wiki is telling me. That means not so many uses for the steam-byproduct.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:34:20 am by Rogem »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 12:23:53 pm »

Possibly involves convincing toady about the Fun parts of having a steam engine or stuff like that running within DF?
It's *very* suggested, so I'm sure Toady's aware of the 8) need for steam

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 01:19:08 pm »

It is also worth noting that water wheels only generate power if they have flow on the tiles underneath them.  Water falling on water wheels does nothing.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 02:48:32 pm »

I can't wait to get the steampunk on for my dwarfs. GEARS FOR THE GEAR GOD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 06:37:42 pm »

PISTONS FOR THE PISTON THRONE!
It keeps propelling itself out of the palace.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 06:47:36 pm »

Can we create custom evil clouds yet? They have the behavior of climbing up and over walls so it could be possible to cause this 'cloud' of steam to be generated and with no where to go it would climb the piping up. Would also be able to make it deadly in this way.
  I'm not sure if there's a maximum height that clouds will climb, I know its at least 2 levels at any rate.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 07:01:32 pm »

Can we create custom evil clouds yet? They have the behavior of climbing up and over walls so it could be possible to cause this 'cloud' of steam to be generated and with no where to go it would climb the piping up. Would also be able to make it deadly in this way.
  I'm not sure if there's a maximum height that clouds will climb, I know its at least 2 levels at any rate.
You can create custom weather, but you can't use it like this. See, steam is kinda hardcoded.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 08:47:34 pm »

I can't seem to find the template for custom gasses, or liquids in the raws either, could just be me however. It seems like this is something you would have to mod with a bit less detail. So you could make a 'steam powered' golem, but it would just be a golem that required a bunch of gears, and to be made at a magma forge, or something like that. A steam-punk dwarf mod may even exist already.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 09:23:40 pm »

I can't seem to find the template for custom gasses, or liquids in the raws either, could just be me however. It seems like this is something you would have to mod with a bit less detail. So you could make a 'steam powered' golem, but it would just be a golem that required a bunch of gears, and to be made at a magma forge, or something like that. A steam-punk dwarf mod may even exist already.
Magma and water, and the associated gasses, are hardcoded.  The only way to introduce your own "liquids" and gasses would be through materials that melt or evaporate at "room" temperature, but these liquids won't flow.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 09:54:52 pm »

Wheels don't use falling water, but you can stair step the water down, sending it back and forth as it descends. As long as it's flowing, it'll power the wheels.

Rogem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 08:43:08 am »

Wheels don't use falling water, but you can stair step the water down, sending it back and forth as it descends. As long as it's flowing, it'll power the wheels.

This is good to know before digging out the chute. Kudos for you and the other people pointing this out.

Beardedwander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 08:08:49 pm »

You do realize that you could simply tap into a river or aquifer send the water through as many waterwheels as you like then simply let the water flow off the map or into an aquifer right?
Pages: [1] 2