Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 41

Author Topic: Flagbearers unite?  (Read 105573 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Flagbearers unite?
« Reply #495 on: September 09, 2012, 08:20:29 am »

I can still remember the time when I caused a minor panic because all of the 'last post by' thingies on the first page of general discussion had 'Greatorder' on them.

several people thought it was a spambot attack.
Jokingly said in the happy thread :P

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 09, 2012, 01:18:37 pm »

Eh, I'll catch up now.

AQIZZARIA RISES

JIFODUS NEVER SLEEPS.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 09, 2012, 01:28:13 pm »

Gangnam Style flag?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 09, 2012, 01:35:58 pm »

Spambot Coalition flag?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 09, 2012, 01:42:41 pm »

Wouldn't that just be a bunch of dicks?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 09, 2012, 02:11:49 pm »

Maybe swastikas made of dicks.

What did I just type?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 09, 2012, 03:26:14 pm »

No flags for me. Coats of arms, all the way.
It's something I dabble in, IRL (or in what, for Bay12 might pass for IRL, a different life, certainly), but not even attempted to squish one of them into such a sub thumbnail-sized image, as you have done.  (But perhaps I have something that could be my first Avatar...  Keep on wanting to make one of some sort.)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 09, 2012, 03:52:51 pm »

Dsarker, those coats of arms (coat of armses?) are really good.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 09, 2012, 04:41:16 pm »

I do like them, indeed. Might be a bit easier for people to make their own if there was a nice and organised set of rules regarding Coats of Arms available on the internet. It's fine if you know what the symbols mean, but a bit more difficult if you don't, so I decided to just copy the coat of arms for the Holy See and Australia. (Also, by the way, Coat of Arms is the singular, Coats of Arms is the plural :P)
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 09, 2012, 07:19:04 pm »

I would personally summarise the 'rules' of heraldry as the following:

• Avoid anything that looks confusingly like someone elses heraldry (unless that's the point, like you're the son of someone and need to reflect that heritage[1]),
  • Apart from that, do what you like[2], with whatever imagery and patternation you like
  • Although keeping metallic tinctures separated from other metallic tinctures and the non-metalic 'colours' separated from other 'colours' is a convention you'd be wise to stick to.  (But you can always put a metallic 'divider' between two colours, or a colour divider between two metals.

If you're ever dealing with an actual court of heraldry, IRL, then they'd give you their own guidances.  For here, do what you want!  There's plenty of places that have fuller rules.  I bet Wiki does (within the broadness that remains given the first sentence of this paragraph, look at the various linked-bys in footnote 1's image), or at least links to places that do.

It's the end of the day for me, now, but I shall perhaps spend a little some time and return tomorrow with a mock-up of arms for myself.  Not tried one for this version of my virtual self, before, though...  Might need a little thinking.

[1] Extremes exist.
[2] Does not necessarily apply to the supporters, the form of helm (and presence of coronet) featured atop the shield and other accoutrements, depending on what you're actually entitled to, although the motto can often be an extended pun or reference without restriction, and basic escutcheon imagery often is, these days, for those that care to incorporate them.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 10, 2012, 03:06:38 am »

[1] Extremes exist.
O_o It's planepacked... If you consider that each coat is an amalgam of several others, which might again be constructed from several others... Wow.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 10, 2012, 03:19:02 am »

[1] Extremes exist.
O_o It's planepacked... If you consider that each coat is an amalgam of several others, which might again be constructed from several others... Wow.
O.O
* MaximumZero cancels post: Head asplode.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 10, 2012, 04:37:15 am »

[1] Extremes exist.

That is, I believe, a library of the coats of arms for members of several families.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 10, 2012, 04:43:52 am »

You dawg.

Represent while you represent.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 10, 2012, 06:42:02 am »

That is, I believe, a library of the coats of arms for members of several families.
A strange way of putting it.  May I clarify?  It's one person's half-and-halfed shield, one half being the heraldry technically inherited from one parent, the other half being of the other parent.  Each parents' half is in turn halved to represent the entire shield owner's grandparents, in similarly recursive detail, to the nth generation.  Ultimately, because it isn't fractal and there must be a limit, at the lowest levels are the much simpler patterns (bends sinister, etc) that were used by a given progenitor.  But due to the way ancestry converges[1] as well as spreads, there are ultimately people who are represented in several different places upon the shield (or at least similarly-heralded people who do themselves have a common ancestor, and were entitled to similar arms), so there's obvious repetitions.

(Oh yeah, the rules of tincture generally doesn't apply to the separate halves/quarters/etc of the field, so colour against colour or metal against metal is allowed there.  Forgot to say.)

Myself, I can't possibly consider sullying my shield with parentage, given that the 'Starver' entity is a construct in cyberspace inheriting nothing in that realm, and even my IRL parents (and my IRL self, who might be considered to have 'begat' this representative voice) are without entitlement to IRL battle-standards of any kinds, so I'm not dividing my shield at all and (with the one big exception of doing something that medieval heraldry could never have achieved, and would probably have written a rule against anyway) I've decided to Keep It Simple Stupid.

But first the written description, to which I didn't stick too much to the usually required "KISS", and had to take liberties with the (somewhat deliberately 'Faux' Heraldic-style) French, but here's is the verbal version:

Escutchion: Field Sable,
  Nabot barbe-Argent Olive de agicole alterné avec Fleche descendre Olive de faim dexter-fess,
  Deux Parcelle double-wavy Olive de sol defoncer fess et sinister-fess,
  Tous Caractere de faible qualité.
Helm: un Tube Cathodique.
Supporters: Souris et Clavier de Ordinateur, salient.
Motto: "Nil Operundi: Enim Nutrimens, Il Verminus Venatio "

(That's a black background; a silver-bearded dwarf of 'olive' tone for farming, alternated with a downwards arrow indicating hunger, in the middle-left; two 'fields' (two squiggly lines[2]) of ploughed soil [note: no plants!] in centre and centre-right); The 'characters' intentionally represented in low resolution[3]; The helm (taking liberties here, in several ways) is a CRT, and the supporters (ditto) are keyboard and mouse[4].  I'll leave the faux-Latin motto up to you to work out[5].  And darnit! I forgot to draw it and its scroll into the image!  Decide not to make any appropriate wreath or other decoration.)

Spoiler: And what it looks like (click to show/hide)
(Slightly bigger than Avatar size, at the moment.  May avatarize or make a .sig-sized flag of it later.)

Originally I started off thinking of using "Or" (gold) tincture instead of the "Olive" (not a normal heraldic colour, and you need to imagine it pronounced with a French accent ;) ), and now I realise I've broken the Rules Of Tincture that I mentioned, with olive on black.  (But at least I haven't got it messing with the 'silver beard'.)

Oh, and the fact that Coats Of Arms weren't originally animated, I've ignored.  That's surely a mere consequence of the fact that they couldn't make (automatic) animations, prior to more recent technology. ;)

(But what do you expect on two hours' sleep?!)

[1] One might say "especially with the nobility", but I'm betting that a largely immobile population of the serfs of those eras would have a similarly intertwined "family bush".

[2] What's the Faux-French for 'tilde'? ;)

[3] Though I quadratically smudge them, in the actual picture.  Should have kept it sharper, really.

[4] In the image, I drew the CRT first and the the keyboard last.  Mostly with splines but with (pre rotation) a few 'square' brush-hits for the keyboard keys.  You can tell that I'm not particularly artistic, but that once I get into GIMP, I tend to improve significantly in my pixel-pushing style.  Decided to blur the 'helm' to make it fit in a bit better, but as I'm probably not allowed helm or supporters, let's not obsess about that, eh? ;)

[5] Had considered "Ave? Ave Munde? Hoc Res Opera Est?".
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 41