Poll

So....

- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30

Author Topic: TrialFires, Noob Fortress!  (Read 39081 times)

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
Re: TrialFires, Noob Fortress!
« Reply #225 on: August 31, 2012, 08:18:12 am »

Apiks' Diary - 24th of Felsite

[These events are by no ends what really happened. It is just a story that I wrote to justify what I really did ingame.]

Today those damn elves unloaded their caravan.The mayor suggested that we should go all friendly and sugary to bargain with them but I know better, yes I do.
There will be no such bargaining with these tree-lovers. Instead I have concocted a grand plan to steal all of their goodies without them even realizing.
Yes. Today will be the day when we strike. Those suckers will never know what hit them.

The plan is for me to get our special squad which consists of BFEL who might be crazy but will still do as asked, NAV who will take their attention away with his engravings whilst we do our work, Mountainhomes who will watch our back with his special modification of his shield which allows him to look like a rock therefore making him practically invisible,Battledigger who will mine our way in, Talvixen who is bringing the carts for hauling of the items, the rest of the population of the fort who will help with the hauling, Marker who will make the supports it so that the tunnel that Battledigger mines doesn't collapse on us, and last but not least, myself who will lead the whole operation which I have dubbed "Operation TreeFire". As for the mayor Melkor, well, let's say he has the important job of looking innocent should those elves get suspicious. This plan is flawless and I expect everyone to perform as such. There's nothing that can stop us from getting those treehuggers right in the face. What could go wrong after all?

5 hours later...

"OI MARKER! I THOUGHT YOU SAID THAT THIS TUNNEL WOULDN'T COLLAPSE!" I said angrily.
"So did I." Said marker shrugging.
"Ugh. We must make it through this. All adults except that damn Melkor,NAV and Mountainhomes are in the tunnel. If we die, it's safe to say that the fortress is to perish. You! Battledigger. Start mining our way out. Continue mining the planned way."
"Fine." Answered a quiet battledigger's voice. Everyone was shaken from what had happened. Would they see their children and their life ever again?

With this thought they waited for the next couple of hours until the tunnel was complete. Amazingly the tunnel didn't collapse this time. As they emerge from the newly created hole that Battledigger mined, they heard. They heard silence. Silence! Not even elves, NAV or Melkor. Nobody. Complete and utter quietness. This was indeed the back of the caravan but nothing was to be heard. I signaled for them to stay in the hole while I check up on what is going on.

As I was walking towards the entrance of the hole, I heard steps and immediatelly took cover behind a barrel next to the wall. What I saw was unbelievable. It was those elves. Or should I say gobelves? It was hideous. These gobelves wore masks when they entered the fort. Masks that just finish up their complete elven cover-up. With no second spared, I realized that these gobelves indeed tried to infiltrate the fortress for their benefit. I saw a hole through one of the caravan's tent and went up to it and looked inside. What I saw inside was Melkor and NAV being tortured by these gobelves. They were using an instrument that is unspeakable of. A feather. Yes a feather. With this deadly weapon they managed to make those two dwarves wish they stopped living. The amount of laughter they had already used up was draining them and fast. They couldn't last more than a couple of hours by my estimate. And those gobelves constantly asked them where the rest of the fort population is, which by some chance is in the tunnel. "But wait." I thought. "If the Gobelves have taken over the fortress, then what is of the children? Oh god, I have to return to everyone and tell them this."

With this I started backing slowly along the wall to the hole. Suddenly something grabbed me. I tried to scream but on my mouth was a hand. Terror of being caught by these gobelves began to overwhelm me. Shortly I fainted.

1 hour later... Rock. I saw rock. This rock was the ceiling. Yes, the same ceiling that I've been seeing everytime I wake up from slumber for over an year. Where am I? As I slowly get up I see a that I am in a room and nobody to be seen. My training sword lying beside me. I pick it immediatelly up. What were these gobelves thinking of letting me with the sword? It might be a training sword but I might be able to escape using it. I quickly position myself behind the door and as it opens, a figure enters and I immediatelly hit it. A loud 'Thunk' is heard accompanied with an
"Oi, what do you think you're doing to my shield, overseer?"

Yes. The person who caused me to faint. The person who saved me in a sense is Captain Mountainhomes. Apparently the camouflage modification of his shield that I ordered to be made was extremely effective even against me.

"Captain! You're alive. I was wondering why you weren't being tortured with those two and thought you were dead. What is going on? Why are these traders not elves but gobelves? How are the children? What in TrialFires name is going on?" I asked with haste.
"Calm down overseer, these gobelves are infiltrators. They're freelance gobelves that seek to make a fortune by deceiving people. Since our race is relatively new to this world, they thought that we'd be an easy prey. Something that might have happened if we weren't in that tunnel at this given moment. Those thiefs have being going rampant around the fortress, looting it and searching for where the hell everyone is. Melkor and NAV walked right into their hands when they were captured. You can't imagine how suprised those gobelves were when they found almost nobody in the fort.
They immediatelly started interrogating the Mayor and NAV for your whereabouts. Melkor didn't tell them stating "I have no idea where they are and even if I did, I would never tell you, you damn gobelf. I knew there was a reason for these people hating elves and their relatives. Now I know why." as for NAV, he constantly made fun of them by saying stuff like "So how'd you become a gobelf? Your ma and pa got drunk and mixed the orgies? Hahah. You're pitiful." That really irked them and now they are relentless in the search for the rest of the population. The children are captured in the barracks and put on wait. I think that they are planning to make slaves out of the children. I managed to hide the dogs at the kennels and lock them so that they are not found. What are we to do now overseer? So far we've survived by pure luck and timing. We have only training swords and a shield. How can we defeat these armored to the teeth gobelves?"

"He does make a point." I thought. What are we to do now against such a force INSIDE our own fortress? Hmm. We must think of something. Aha! I got it.
"Listen Mountainhomes, I have a plan. First we will do this..."

..."Okay. I understand. I am ready to fulfill my part of the plan. This is a suicide plan, you do realize that right?" Asked Captain Mountainhomes
"Yes I do, but what choice do we have at this point? It's either this or surrendering to those damn golden-tree hugggers." I told him

With this my plan was in motion. It is time to fulfill my part of the plan which is by far the most complex. I went to the caravan stealtfuly and then I did it. I went on the front of the caravan and yelled "Oi you damn gobelves. Come out here and show yourselves you cowards!". With this, the gobelves came out shouting "Stop right there!" and "Don't move!". I just stand there as they made formation outside. At the front their leader emerged. He was one ugly bastard. Atleast he had white moustaches to cover that ugly face of his. He opened his mouth and started speaking with that mouth of his. The voices he made were unbearable. They were hideous. He told me the following "As you can see we have the superior force. Surrender or be shot down." With this I knelt and stabbed my training sword on the ground. As that damn ugly gobelf was making a smirk, I picked up a big rock. The same rocks that I hate for disrupting my efficency so much, and threw it at him. The rock made a direct hit. He fell on the ground and the gobelves around him immediatelly started helping him get the rock off himself. In the meanwhile, his second-in-command gave the order for me to be shot.

But they didn't know me. A dwarf of my size is hard to hit. And by some chance I myself am a marksdwarf and have a vast amount of knowledge about ranged offense. All of their ranged attacks missed me and I immediatelly darted towards the inside of the fortress. The gobelves all followed me. Finally I reached the dead end of the hallway. The gobelves finally came and surrounded me. Their leader emerged amidst the ranks once again and spoke
"Any last words you fiend? I'll make sure you die slowly and painfuly for throwing that rock at me."
"Just one. NOW!"

With this said, the door that was in the hallway right next to where they formed their formation around me, shouts emerged. With this the door banged open and dogs came out of it, slaugtering immediatelly those who were infront of them. From behind them came an army of dwarfs. Mountainhomes being at the helm, he ordered "CHAAARGE!" and so the full swing of the fortress was upon these gobelves. The enemy immediatelly decided to withdraw to a more open space to fight which by some chance is outside. As both parties gathered outside, Mountainhomes ordered for the dwarf force to move closer to the top of the volcano. As we moved, they began shooting bolts. One such bolt was shot directly at me. As I ran and saw it coming ever so close, I thought to myself "This is the end. Oh well, atleast I did good."

As the bolt was to hit me, I heard a thunk. I opened my eyes immediatelly and saw Mountainhomes with his ever-so bright shield coming to save the day. He held his hand outwards and said "Come on, we have work to do." I reached and grabbed his hand and staggeringly got up and started running by Captain Mountainhomes' side. Finally we reached the top of the volcano. The gobelves formed a formation and started pushing us closer to the edge. Amazingly enough, none of us had perished from the bolts, but on the other side, they were depleted of ammunition. Their leader emerged yet again from the ranks and shouted
"PERISH IN THE FIRES OF THIS GOBELF-FORSAKEN FORTRESS!"

After he said that, I immediatelly shouted
"NOW YOU ANIMAL HUGGER! DO IT!"

With this the animal trainer of the fortress came out from behind the enemy with the dogs. These gobelves as suspected had forgotten about the dogs that had destroyed their first line of defense. The dogs immediatelly reacted to the animal trainer's command for attack and the came towards the gobelves. Whilst the gobelves in confusion tried to take the upper hand, Mountainhomes ordered for us to withdraw to the side and join the dogs at the front. With this, the fortunes of this battle turned. The gobelves were being pushed closer and closer to the edge of the volcano and soon they began falling one by one. Meanwhile, their leader went on the tall platform rocks that were barely standing on TOP of the volcano and roared:
"FIGHT ME!"

Captain Mountainhomes immediatelly went to those rocks and started battling their leader with his shield. It was indeed a fierce battle. Beads of sweat came down from both their faces. They both were extremely exhausted. This battle would not last long. As they both launched their last attack, Mountainhomes deflected his sword but something unsuspected happened. The gobelf dropped his sword and bared his hands and fangs. Mountainhomes was not expecting to fight with a raw fierce animal such as this one. He fell off the rock barely catching it  on the edge. As the gobelf neared, he had a terrible smirk on his face and his eyes were blood-crazed. As the gobelf finally attacked with his long nails to tip Captain Mountainhomes off the rock.

Time slowed down for everyone in Trialfires then. Was this the end of Mountainhomes? Surely the Fort would survive but they had not received even 1 casualty uptill now. Was Mountainhomes fated to perish ablaze in this forsaken inferno? This was quickly decided when everybody heard a loud "Plock" and as the gobelf started falling backwards, a bolt was seen sticking out of his belly. Mountainhomes managed to regain his position and got off the rocks onto stable ground with everyone. Everyone's mouths were hanging as the turned backwards and even more so after that. What they saw was me. Me with a crossbow. I was the one who shot that bolt that killed that damn gobelf. I was not about to take any risks. After a few moments, everyone erupted in cheers for me and Mountainhomes and we returned to the fortress. Everyone was extremely tired and everyone immediatelly hit the sack. The caravan goods would have to be moved tomorrow. For now, well deserved sleep. But a thought kept pogging me in the back of my mind. As if we were forgetting something.

Meanwhile in another place in the fort...

"Waaagh,waaagh. Where is mommy and daddy? WAAAGH, WAAGH. I want to see mommy and daddy, WAAGH. Why is this door closed? Waaaagh."

Well then. That's that for the 24th of Felsite. Kudos if you actually read the whole thing.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 10:07:02 am by apiks »
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

markressler

• Bay Watcher
  • WHAT IS THIS, WHAT I AM DOI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 31, 2012, 08:26:26 am »

Wow, great writing! Loving it.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:11 am »

so you said this isnt actually what happened? so what actually happened? just a goblin siege?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 31, 2012, 11:35:42 am »

Oh nothing really. I just used the exploit of getting all the goodies from the caravan via destroying the trade depot. I wanted to write a story so badly that this gave me the opening :P.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 31, 2012, 12:20:18 pm »

LOL did not know about that exploit....my poor trade depot....it took so long to move the rocks so I could build it....O.O you realize that your gonna need to send hauling through the roof if you want to get all those goods stockpiled and re-build the depot right? Or are you just gonna let the next guy sort that out? XD And you know you coulda just stolen their goods the normal way right? :P

Indeed, I do this.

markressler

• Bay Watcher
  • WHAT IS THIS, WHAT I AM DOI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 31, 2012, 12:22:10 pm »

So... we now have a lot of free resources?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 31, 2012, 12:23:51 pm »

Lol, apiks, great story. You sure you're a new player? :P That exploit took me a while to learn about, as I remember... I don't really use it much, though.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 31, 2012, 12:25:54 pm »

Meh, I don't care how much hauling it requires. They'll have to manage somehow. And yes, I know I could've stolen the normal way but I'm not adept at it and don't want to take any risks if you catch my point. Anyways yes. We have EVEN MORE FLAMING WOOD thanks to these damn tree-lovers and something else that they've brought. The wood won't be moved since we have enough now for 2-3 stockpiles of wood so only the other stuff will be moved which in turn will save time. Oh I am new Talvieno. It's the Dwarf Fortress wiki from which I learnt a great deal. I had a bit of problems getting to know the "Trader requested at trade depot" function so I poked around. A lot. Who knew it was so simple as to just turn it on and off so that the damn trader would come to the depot. There go a few caravans missed in my normal games. I used the exploit only because I thought that my trader was bugged and couldn't trade. Anyways, I like writing stories.
Founder of Teh LOLmod

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 31, 2012, 12:27:34 pm »

Apiks dorf needs the new profession "Exploiter"
Also what you mean your not adept at the regular method? It's just selecting what you want and hitting "s" :P

Indeed, I do this.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 31, 2012, 12:29:41 pm »

I mean that I've never used it and have no idea of what would happen if I would (except that I'd get the goodies ofc). I take caution when I am doing stuff. And I'll change my profession to Exploiter, no worries about that.
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 31, 2012, 12:42:39 pm »

Don't worry about the wood, I'm sure we'll use it before long. Especially if you happened to read the great trade items that can be made from it... >.>
<.<

Cages are good too, and barrels, and bins.

And that explains it. :P I taught myself to play without the wiki or forums, which was a bit of a pain, but awesome fun. I think I lost three forts before I had the slightest clue what was going on. Made a lot of great memories, though... Especially with the first fort that lasted longer than a year. Breached HFS with that one... without even knowing what it was. :P instant death. :(  (that was after I savescummed due to accidentally attacking the mountainhome military and initiating a loyalty cascade.)
You're pretty good with the stories. :) and the gobelves made me laugh. lol
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:50:00 pm by Talvieno »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 31, 2012, 01:07:35 pm »

MAKE FORTY BILLION BEDS...AND THEY MENACE WITH SPIKES OF GOBELF

Indeed, I do this.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 31, 2012, 01:22:38 pm »

Have to edit the raws a bit to make butchering sentients possible if you want to make stuff from dead enemies. :P It can be done, but it can't be done in TrialFires, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure that would require a regen.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 31, 2012, 01:31:48 pm »

Where is my save?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 31, 2012, 01:32:23 pm »

Where is my save?

When your turn comes.
Founder of Teh LOLmod
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30