Poll

So....

- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30

Author Topic: TrialFires, Noob Fortress!  (Read 39122 times)

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
Re: TrialFires, Noob Fortress!
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2012, 08:01:37 am »

It's locked for me.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2012, 09:08:45 am »

D'oh! :P its unlocked now, I had it locked cuz I re-used the embark vote one so yeah oops...least I remembered to reset the votes to zero lol
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2012, 09:33:39 am »

You can designate an action area (i) as a (p)it/pond, hit P and set it to pond.
A dorf'll start filling it up with a bucket from any available water source.
Easier than pumping from way down below.

You're unlikely to find an underground river, but you can tap into a surface river if there is one. Or if there's an aquifer that makes things easier, just put the dining room on the level above the aquifer, dig a channel and you have an instant reservoir :D
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2012, 09:36:54 am »

there IS an aquifer on this map, I believe its way in the west side though.

Indeed, I do this.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2012, 09:38:29 am »

You can cut an aquaduct in that case. It'll take a while for the water to get there if it doesn't drop a Z level from time to time, but it'll get there (and flood everything, if you don't remove its pressure...) eventually.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2012, 10:25:20 am »

so Melkor's here. awesome!
i suggest fixing the stockpile mess first, then magmafall
just try to leave the fort intact for my turn

a little off topic but i just went scuba diving and pet a carp today
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Tulx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2012, 12:05:17 pm »

I'd like to join.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2012, 01:56:09 pm »

So our stories of shield using superdwarves and their crazy rock obsessed lovers have won you over huh? :P Ok putting Tulx into the lineup.

EDIT: Tulx in lineup.
Also speaking of Captain Mountainhomes, I was running some tests in Arena mode with dwarves of his general proficiency level with a shield and I got some pretty horrifying results. I put him up against a dwarf with the exact same stats who was equipped with a shield AND a weapon and it was pretty consistent that he loses against those with slashing weapons, I.E short swords, battle axes. However he began winning against those with hammers and spears pretty consistently (and on those occasions rather rapidly I might add) which started to get my hopes up. But then I put him in with gobbos who used a shortsword with no skills. One-on-One he killed four before dying, however when even 1 extra gobbo was added it turned really depressing. He kept dying, so I upgraded his equipment from the wood shield to an iron one (the gobbos were using copper swords) no change. On a whim gave him TWO shields (yes they WILL dual wield shields) which seemed to increase his survival slightly, but did not give him any real edge on the gobbos, just drew out how much torment he received before dying. So, fed up with these gobbos I gave the next one ADAMANTINE EVERYTHING, dual adamantine shields and as a joke, an elf leather cloak. HE FRAKKING LOST. HOW DO YOU LOSE WHEN YOUR DECKED OUT IN ADAMANTINE AND THEY USE COPPER? THE FUCK? Repeated. LOST AGAIN. Repeated with him having a adamantine short sword and a shield. That'll teach those greenskin bastards.....EXCEPT HE LOST....THE FUCK? I finally just said screw it and gave him grandmaster skill in everything and that did it. Then I kinda just turned the arena into a clusterfuck of Giant Recluse Spider Mummies, Vampire Hydras, Vampire SPERM WHALE MEN, and a Zombie Dragon.....yeah that happens when I use the arena :P
But anyway, anyone have any ideas to make him more effective? Is it just an issue of him being outnumbered? Would just increasing the militia help? Arena mode doesn't take attributes into account, would increasing his strength and such work? What do you think Talvi, you have experience with superdwarves (Fischer, Draignean)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 02:26:29 pm by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2012, 02:35:14 pm »

Poor mountainhomes. No worries. Since I'm a marksdwarf I'll just give him covering fire when he is about to loose. He wont even notice *wink*.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2012, 03:46:34 pm »

Did some basic arena testing, full steel armour & 2 steel shields vs a bunch of goblins in goblinite. He didn't do very well. I also tried out the strategy in adventure mode, and it wasn't very effective. Maybe we should give him a weapon?
also, the only major weakpoint in dwarven armour is the upper arms.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2012, 05:33:09 pm »

We should probably give him some support vs. the gobbos before we make any decisions that could ruin the awesome of him beating everything to death with his shield(s) Need to test him with a few comrades in decent gear as well before we go OH NO HE SUCKS BLARG.....I just REALLY want him to be awesome XD

Indeed, I do this.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2012, 06:41:57 pm »

Can't wait for todays update on how the fortress will progress.
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2012, 06:45:25 pm »

He's not a Colonel Fischer yet... But give him some time to train. I bet he'll be awesome in no time. :)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2012, 07:00:27 pm »

but how MUCH training till hes one man army level? do you remember what level Fischer was at when she started pwning everything? also WHERE THE HELL IS OUR UPDATE MELKOR?

Indeed, I do this.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2012, 07:07:47 pm »

She trained for about three years (and I have no clue how she managed it so quickly)... BUT... If you guys would like... One of your challenges could be to create a successful danger room to speed up the process... Provided you don't mind, BFEL.  (btw... It can mean death for your dwarves if not done correctly. ;) )
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30