Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarking for an Aquifer  (Read 1501 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embarking for an Aquifer
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:12:24 pm »

So, time to figure out how to get past that aquifer... Without a cheap way around it :(

What should I bring with me on embark? Skills and equipment. I have a hunter that I'm going to bring along (joyous wilds... Unicorn meat!!!)... What do I need?
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking for an Aquifer
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 11:23:04 pm »

Well, both time's I've embarked on an aquifer, I found a hole in the damned thing.  There was a hill and I started digging my starter fortress, then built a spot to cave in, started channeling around it, and poof!

No more water.  Went down a couple levels, and I'd snuck right through.

That would certainly be the least-resource intensive approach-- blind luck.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 11:35:19 pm »

Probably some stone and logs to get some necessary equipment.  If you are using pumps to breach the aquifer then you need enough stone, metal, and/or ore  to get the proper workshops, pump parts, and mechanisms made, along with tools, etc.  Assuming you can use timber initially for a lot of things you probably want a trained carpenter as well.

And if you want assurance you can get around a aquifer scout your embark area biomes and pick an intersection of multiple biomes where at least one does not have an aquifer.

And since getting past the aquifer might have you residing on/near the surface for an extended time you will need to take defense into consideration for a more extended time depending on the local wildlife.  A ditch might be enough, but for evil biomes with mist/rain, or even something severely annoying like giant keas you will want to get things secure underground ASAP.  Or be prepared to be fighting them off constantly.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 11:53:32 pm »

If you are using pumps to breach the aquifer then you need enough stone, metal, and/or ore  to get the proper workshops, pump parts, and mechanisms made, along with tools, etc. 
Can't you just use wood blocks, wood corkscrews and wood pipes for the pumps? ???
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 12:16:09 am »

You can get through an aquifer with only wood.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 01:18:09 am »

So, time to figure out how to get past that aquifer... Without a cheap way around it :(

What should I bring with me on embark? Skills and equipment. I have a hunter that I'm going to bring along (joyous wilds... Unicorn meat!!!)... What do I need?

Depends a lot on your embark and how you plan to punch through it. If you got woodland, you can cut your lumber on site, if not you'll have to bring it. A handful of stones (6 to 10) doesn't hurt either for mechanisms, most everything else can be made from wood. Stone is still not neccessary to get through an aquifer, but it does make certain breach methods easier. Also does the embark freeze in winter, if so thats one of the easiest aquifers to breach. Main thing is to have plenty of wood available for your breaching. I personally prefer to use cave-ins on most breaches, but certain embarks have really deep aquifers and the cave-in method loses efficiency quickly when trying to go through multiple z-lvls.

If you look around your embark when you first land, and look at the various pebbles on the ground, you can tell a bit about your aquifer situation without even digging. If the pebbles are sandstone or conglomerate, you probably have a large multi-z aquifer. If the pebbles are anything else, you only have a soil aquifer which is at most 2 z-lvls. So if the aquifer is soil only I'll use the cave in approach, if it is conglomerate or sandstone, I'll be setting up to pump through it using the double slit method.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:19:51 am by Patchy »

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 01:30:35 am »

Hot biome, scarce trees, joyous wilds (I just wanted unicorn bones)... There is only shallow metal and deep metal (singular), and it could potentially be something useless like gold, so I'm spending as much as I can on tetrahedrite... I'm thinking get a butchering and bolt making up ASAP to keep me sustained and protected, and let's hope for the best with a shallow aquifer, cause I know without a doubt that no freezing will happen. I'll keep updated and ask questions here if anything goes horribly wrong
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 01:58:09 am »

Can't you just use wood blocks, wood corkscrews and wood pipes for the pumps? ???
Certainly, but some of us prefer not to use dwarf power due to staffing issues. That means mechanisms.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 02:13:09 am »

Stone blocks are a much better option than wooden since most stone costs the same as a log on the embark screen and can produce four times as many blocks.

Mechanisms are unnecessary though since it's pretty easy to set up a perpetual motion machine using just wooden items.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 06:29:56 am »

Windmiils don't need an interspacing gear.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 08:50:41 am »

I have successfully punched through a three level aquifer with a single pump, so three logs was all I needed.  it took a while to micro manage the wall construction (stone blocks) to block off the water, but it only required a carpenter to make the pump and two miners that were also pump operators (only one would dig at a time).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"