Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mad Scientist RP discussion/ mechanics  (Read 1192 times)

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mad Scientist RP discussion/ mechanics
« on: August 20, 2012, 03:18:39 pm »

For those of you who thought there was a Mad Scientist RP that you had missed, I'll be glad to inform you that no, there isn't one going on that you'll have to be on the waiting list for months for. BUT, I am planning one, and, for all those DMs/GMs reading this, I could use some help.

Rolling Mechanics: I'm not doing the RTD system, that's for sure. I know Digital Hellhound's MS RTD's were pretty popular but they always kind of stalled because of all the twos that got rolled. I was thinking something like either D20 or GURPS, but D20's system seems to disallow customization and GURPS, while it looks more customizable, lacks a charisma type stat, which would be important for the defect system it looks like it allows. Anybody got any suggestions for a roll system or should I try to kludge one together and see how it plays out? I want this to be less stat focused and more equipment/skill based.

SCIENCES: I've ran a Mad Scientist suggestion game that ended really quick (I'm over that I swear), and I was still having problem deciding what should be a science and what should be a skill. I definetly think BIOLOGY and CHEMISTRY should remain a skill, especially for the scenario I have planned, but, I still have problems with other sciences. Should there be a MECHANICS/ROBOTICS split? Should NUCLEAR really be it's own thing or should it join CHEMISTRY for a super science? Do LASERS really need to be their own thing, or should I combine them with sound waves and PSIONICS it some kind of applied physics thing?

I was also wondering about stuff that comes with high levels of certain skills, like a Magyver skill with a certain level in a perception type stat and mechanics would allow you to create things faster.

Inventing/Realism: This isn't going to be at all realistic, and will take place in a futuristic setting where, although mankind has discovered other races, they are reluctant to leave earth at the moment (more on this later). The island of stability has been discovered, and the heavy carbon equivalents are allow dangerous advances in the synthesis of new organic compounds and the like. The other portions of the periodic table are not to be discounted, however.

As far as inventing stands, it takes quite a while to build something (a looong turn) and the parts aren't particularly specific (high quality computer parts would be a common description and enough to put together a pretty good robot). I'd also like to try to do different levels of scrap and materials, sort of like Caves of Qud's tinkering system (look for a screenshot).

So, post suggestions on how I should do things. I'm thinking about doing an LCS style character sheet (I love LCS's character test and think it'd be hilarious to do again.). Label your suggestions with the topic you're addressing bolded if you want to be nice. 

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Scientist RP discussion/ mechanics
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 03:25:39 pm »

Nuclear isn't part of chemistry. Should be a part of Physics. (Which can also contain lasers)

Psychology can also play a part, having subtle maniplations and stuff.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 03:31:34 pm »

Nuclear isn't part of chemistry. Should be a part of Physics. (Which can also contain lasers)

Psychology can also play a part, having subtle maniplations and stuff.
I was thinking of a psychology/people based science, but I was considering scratching it in favor or buffed pheromones and a good speech mechanic. As far as the Lasers/Physics thing goes, I was considering adding lasers and "wave" technology (EM Spectrum and kinetic waves) to physics to make it a sort of a weapon based thing, but I thought it'd be kind of stupid. I think Nuclear (as in, anything involving radioactivity) should be joined with something so it isn't quite so useless. If Psychology does make it in (which I'm not sure it will) it'd be essentially Psionics, CHAR enhancements and maybe mind control?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 05:01:33 pm »

Chemistry is arguably also physics. Wjhat abaut just split it into:

HARD SCIENCES (physics, chemistry, lasers, nuclear, etc.)
SOFT SCIENCES (biology, psychology, social skills, etc.)
ENGINEERING (the skill of building stuff, robotics, mechanics, architecture, etc.)
MATH (mathematics, programing, computer science, meta-science/rationality, etc.)

?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:40:35 pm »

I don't want it to be too big a split, because I want character sheets to be manageable. I do like the engineering/mechanics thing though. I'll change mechanics to engineering, which will probably have a side bonus of added success with plans.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:47:25 am »

huh? I'm suggesting there are just 4 skills, that should make things much MORE manageable.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 08:59:00 pm »

I don't want to kludge all the sciences together like that though. There's a difference between knowing the how and what chemicals do when applied to certain things. The outer shell of electrons is a pretty hard way to determine the toxicity of a substance.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 07:20:09 pm »

BUNP.