Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Awesomenauts  (Read 6520 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Awesomenauts
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 04:39:36 pm »

Looks like a new character is out, Gnaw:)

Also, this is great.  More games should do this:

We are also excited to announce that we got a really Awesome new league! The ima-cheater-and-I-wanna-play-against-my-cheating-buddies-league
So if you are cheating in Awesomenauts then we will put you in a special matchmaking system with other cheaters, GG!

So if a cheater is found they only get to play with other people who are caught cheating.  They probably aren't even informed of it.  :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 10:12:22 am »

Didn't a game already do this? How did that turn out? Because I heard both fears that it would be too easy to break and hopes that it would lower cheating.

At any rate.

Gnaw!

What do you people think of this new monstrous naut? Seems like the amount of dots he can throw around are really going to change how, at least for me, the game is played. He seems good as expected for defending, with his weedlings really turning certain areas in great places for team fights, I hear they even stop Lonestars bull directly so short nauts can hide behind them from that. On the other hand from what little I have seen/played of him he has no way to do a ton of damage, his spit maxes out at 50 damage over 10 seconds and his bite maxes out at 14 damage (with both damage upgrades which does not seem like something worth going for) with the dot maxing out at 30 damage over 2.5 seconds. Which is okayish, but it takes two upgrade slots. I am worried about how viable he is for aggressive action, specially since until level 48 you can only carry one weedling into battle with you, so by the time you can grow more the battle is pretty much over, not that useful for attacking. In the end longer battles go in his favor of course, but that seems like it is most useful only in the start of the game, when both sides are in the middle all the time. In the end he is a defender as he was meant to be, I have a feeling teams with him will have a easier time when the game starts and if they start to lose, but will have issues closing the deal and landing that finishing blow.

What do all you guys think?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 06:29:46 am »

Just wanted to bring this thread back to the frontlines. I've been playing this a ton with my wife. Rounds rarely go past 20-30m, and it's just a heck of a lot of fun!

My wife plays Gnaw mostly, because the spitty thing. I just wish she would learn to optimise for damage instead of picking drip... I always do random, but there's some guys I can never get kills with. Leon, for instance, is very hard for me to get kills with. He's good for following others and finishing them off, but some maps don't really allow for that.

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 05:24:07 pm »

I hate Gnaw. He is the bane of my existence. My best 'naut right now is Clunk, simply because I learned how to play as an Anti-Gnaw.

Speaking of which: Since I hate Gnaw so much, I get stuck playing Clunk most often to be a good counter and because I feel comfortable surviving as Clunk. I've gotten pretty good with him, going 2:1 for most games, and the occasions where I die are usually me suicide-bombing into a group of enemies so my teammates can mop up. If I die along with 2 enemies I consider it a decent play.

But now Clunk is getting boring. He's a great 'naut, one of the best in the game when played properly, but he gets really boring after a while. Are there any other characters I should consider, to get away from the Clunk playstyle? I want to keep myself versatile, and not be one of those people who's legendary with one character and absolute crap with the others. Suggestions?
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 07:08:52 pm »

Gnaw is HORRIBLE to play against, I agree. In particular when their stupid little tower thingies are used properly and placed in the healing mob places. He essentially gets permanently regenerated!

I always play with a random Awesomenaut. Some of them are pretty crappy, but as you unlock levels and think about them more and more, you'll get certain tactics that work OK against most enemies. A great anti-Clunk and anti-Gnaw is Vinnie & Spike. He can "fly" forever, so you can stay away from nasty poison and&or explosions and recharge your spike attack! I also find Derpl pretty cool! That turret with maxed out stun chance is hella awesome :D

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 12:05:06 pm »

I'm loving this so far, although I'm not very good at it.  I seem to have a lot more success when playing defensively as Coco.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 02:44:10 pm »

Gnaw is HORRIBLE to play against, I agree. In particular when their stupid little tower thingies are used properly and placed in the healing mob places. He essentially gets permanently regenerated!
Gnaw is pretty much universally considered to be if not the most powerful then certainly the most ridiculous and unfun nauts in the game right now, owing to his weedlings being able to do everything. Insane farming. Insane regeneration. Insane defense. Insane pushing. (Find a turret no one is paying attention to and drop all your weedlings in front of it. You can push any turret, anywhere, anytime, as long as no one is actively guarding it.) Insane damage. Insane tankiness.

Seriously. Fuck Gnaw.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 04:00:58 pm »

Gnaw is pretty much universally considered to be if not the most powerful then certainly the most ridiculous and unfun nauts in the game right now, owing to his weedlings being able to do everything. Insane farming. Insane regeneration. Insane defense. Insane pushing. (Find a turret no one is paying attention to and drop all your weedlings in front of it. You can push any turret, anywhere, anytime, as long as no one is actively guarding it.) Insane damage. Insane tankiness.

Seriously. Fuck Gnaw.

Well let me see... Awesomenauts is a competative game and the "pros" (people who call themselves pros but are not professional) are the ones who call the shots.

Thus you are complaining about balance, you are saying bad things about a character... that makes you

Noobscrubtastic.

I will tell you exactly what a "pro" will tell you: "Then just use Gnaw, learn to play the game"

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 04:43:12 pm »

I will tell you exactly what a "pro" will tell you: "Then just use Gnaw, learn to play the game"
I take it you don't frequent Ronimo's forums! There are quite a number of threads that agree that Gnaw is fairly ridiculous coupled with suggestions for nerfs and fixes. There are only really a few opposers to this notion. It's quite ridiculous when Team Awful, considered to be the best players at the current moment, to an extent where people instantly abandon games just by seeing them connecting, are having problems dealing with a single Gnaw on the enemy team who knows what he is doing.

Hell, I'd go so far as to say that the power level itself is almost insignificant, and it's Gnaw's playstyle itself that is absolutely horrible to face, and the only way to fix that is to nerf him to near-uselessness. Which is a terrible idea, but would at least fix things.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 04:55:11 pm »

I take it you don't frequent Ronimo's forums

Note that the "best players" arn't part of the group I am refering to. I am just expressing my frustration on how bad people who are really competative can be towards a game are.

Also the only way to fix Gnaw to a "Pro" would be for both sides to always have a Gnaw. Assuming that is even possible.

They rarely understand what a character who is "Unfun to play against" is.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:58:41 pm by Neonivek »

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 11:02:40 pm »

I like to play as Raelynn. Even if you go for a Blaster/Rift build you can ruin things, though Snipe+Rift  =  even moar.
Everybody!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 03:50:20 am »

I play her very rarely, but I find it hard to use rift. She has very little health, so getting within distance of dropping rift for it to make an effect on withdrawing enemies is rather hard. Snipe + blaster tends to work for me a little better, as I find isolated enemies, snipe them once or twice and finish them off with blaster. Plus, it's great for solo pushing lanes.

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 01:47:14 pm »

I take it you don't frequent Ronimo's forums! There are quite a number of threads that agree that Gnaw is fairly ridiculous coupled with suggestions for nerfs and fixes. There are only really a few opposers to this notion. It's quite ridiculous when Team Awful, considered to be the best players at the current moment, to an extent where people instantly abandon games just by seeing them connecting, are having problems dealing with a single Gnaw on the enemy team who knows what he is doing.

Hell, I'd go so far as to say that the power level itself is almost insignificant, and it's Gnaw's playstyle itself that is absolutely horrible to face, and the only way to fix that is to nerf him to near-uselessness. Which is a terrible idea, but would at least fix things.
I agree, Gnaw is a good concept and SHOULD be a character included. The problem I have with Gnaw is that a player who's only semi-decent can overcome players with much more in terms of skill, simply because of how Gnaw can be played. That, to me, says that a character is unbalanced. The only thing I've found to combat it is to specifically play to counter him, which works (somewhat) but still sticks in my craw. I shouldn't have to adapt my play style around just one 'naut. But that's the way the game goes.

Unrelatedly, I've been having a blast with Lonestar and Derpl. Cats of Doom!
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 04:23:45 pm »

I tend never to use Derpl's cats :\

Depending on the map, when I see that the enemy is in a relatively weak position, I will flank them from above or below, go into turret mode, send a nuke their way, and just fire away. This works REALLY well if they are overpushing a turret that's about to go. They are likely with lowish health already, and very focused on destroying the turret. They'll be totally surprised, the nuke will usually almost take one out, and the turret makes relatively short work of any others (they either flee or die).

If there's two of you this generally results in a team wipe, which is great :D Of course, you're closer to loosing a turret, but a team wipe is 90 gold + 30 for every kill you get personally.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 11:07:45 pm »

There's a new map out! (Finally!) Played a game against bots to get a feel for it. Its a bunch like the first map, the one with the solar boss, but there is an orb in the center that will stealth you. It has potential.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6