Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Awesomenauts  (Read 6506 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Awesomenauts
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:05:22 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CJET-NYGJk

Steam Site:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/204300/

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I started playing this over the weekend, and its been a lot of fun so I figured I'd share a bit.  Awesomenauts is a 2d platformer Moba-style game currently on Steam.  Now, normally when I see the word Moba my eyes instantly glaze over and I look for something more interesting to read, but the cartoony style + platformer managed to convince me to look into this game a bit.

It has no microtransactions, and the gameplay essentially involves two teams of 3 players trying to destroy the enemy turrets that are blocking the path to the enemies energy core(or something).  Destroy the energy core and you win the game.  The turrets will eat your face off if you fight them directly though, so you need to stand behind and defend little team-coloured robots that will attract the turret's gunfire.  This will work great until gecko with a knife or a purple girl on a surfboard will come along and murder you.  :)

It has less characters than other Mobas, but that probably means its a bit more balanced.  The characters are:

Clunk:  A big hardy robot that can take a lot of hits and has the ability to explode, doing a little damage to itself and a lot of damage to anyone else caught in the radius.  Works well with Voltar it seems.

Coco Nebulon:  Purple alien girl on a surfboard.  I don't quite understand how she plays, but I do know that almost every time I fight her I die horribly. 

Derpl Zork:  Mentally slow slug-like alien in a powerful mech.  The mech can turn itself into a turret.  I don't know much about him either.

Froggy G:  Rapper Frog!  He has a fair bit of mobility and a powerful stun/dash attack.

Leon Chameleon:  Stealth jerk who shanks you when you least expect it.  :P  Not only can he turn invisible, but his melee attack does a LOT of damage and he's pretty quick.  Also he has a tongue-grab attack that pulls you towards him. 

Sheriff Lonestar:  This is the cowboy I've been playing so far.  He carries some powerful dynamite and has a holographic bull that can push people back.

Voltar the Omniscient:  Psychic 3-eyed alien healer.  He can also summon more bots and keep them alive pretty well.  This guy is amazing to have around when assaulting a tower or when you need some healing.

Yuri:  Cosmonaut Monkey!  Apparently he's pretty hard to play.  He can fly, shoot lasers and drop mines.  I haven't fought him yet, but he's pretty handy to have around when I'm expecting a backstab from Leon and Yuri is protecting me with a bunch of mines.

Gnaw:  *new*  A gross toxic beast of some kind.  I don't know anything about him yet.

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun with it so far, and the 2d platformer style appeals way more to me than traditional Moba games.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:43:10 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Awesomenauts
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 12:10:19 pm »

Leon is from Star Fox, in which he is also a Chameleon and part of the "bad team" - not as bad as the true game boss, but a rival mercenary group who will kill you given the chance.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 12:12:48 pm »

Hah, nice.  I didn't know that.  :)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 12:17:15 pm »

Not the same Leon. Leon from Star Fox last name is Powalski, not to mention he is a chameleon whereas Leon Chameleon appears to be (confusingly) not a chameleon.

But yeah, I am having a ton of fun with this game. I like playing clunk really, because his play style fits me and the priority on what to do is easy to see. But most of the guys I have fun with.

Also important to note is that there are ten more heroes in the works, all coming out for free over time.

Also I hate Yuri. His ability to fly out of the reach of everyone and drop bombs into certain areas is... Not fun. Everyone in the game is good at their own thing, but you can also defeat them given enough skill. The ability of Yuri to attack without any way to fight him back feels very out of place to me.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:19:16 pm by Criptfeind »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 12:20:52 pm »

I don't know the Awesomenauts characters, but Leon Chameleon is rather obviously a reference to Leon the Chameleon, no matter how you look at it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 12:21:41 pm »

*Shrugs* Might be a reference or something, but they are not the same guy.

Although Leon is a fairly obvious name for a chameleon like lizard. It does not seem strange to me that it would come up independently.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 12:24:39 pm »

Well, if he's NOT a chameleon, then that makes it a rather odd choice of name.

Anyways, there's no link to the game's site here, and I know it's on Steam but they're sure to have an official site.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 12:26:21 pm »

Whoops.  Website added.  Not sure why I forgot that.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 07:31:09 pm »

So. Anyone want to try to get together to play this as a team? It's more casual then most, but it is still a online game so the average comment is both inarticulate and insulting, with the best I have ever seen being fairweather players then will be nice and happy when you are winning, but if you start to lose will start to spew. I would not mind doing away with that.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 07:37:09 pm »

I wouldn't mind playing as a team.  I'm pretty easy going. 

I'm still pretty new at this though, so forgive me if I'm sucking.  :)

Not sure how to set up a team game.  Here is my steam ID:  https://steamcommunity.com/id/_Levi.  I can't play until about another hour though.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:39:17 pm by Levi »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 09:59:14 pm »

That was fun for sure.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 10:02:18 pm »

Totally.  And now I realize how Coco keeps killing me.  Giant explodey lightning balls of doom.     :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 10:03:57 pm »

Leon the Chameleon isn't a reference to the Starfox character

It is likely a reference to "Sierra Leon"

Or something I cannot remember the exact details... but naming a Lizard, Leon is somewhat of a Pun.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 10:48:48 pm »

Leon the Chameleon isn't a reference to the Starfox character

It is likely a reference to "Sierra Leon"

Or something I cannot remember the exact details... but naming a Lizard, Leon is somewhat of a Pun.

Sierra Leone is a country in Africa...
I got nothing

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 11:11:00 pm »

Do we have any word of god on this thing somewhere? Cause I still stand by that the thought process from stealth assassin to Leon is fairly easy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6