Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Final fantasy 7 is soooo boring....  (Read 5065 times)

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
Re: Final fantasy 7 is soooo boring....
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 07:49:00 am »

And support from the developers is practically non-existant

Frogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 08:18:00 am »

I had two newbie guides who helped me get started.

infinity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2007, 09:12:00 am »

Female pathfinding is clearly broken though, they never find their way to my house.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2007, 11:17:00 am »

And all the racial differences are purely cosmetic.

Someone spoiled the ending for me. He said that

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2007, 11:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Frogman:
<STRONG>I had two newbie guides who helped me get started.</STRONG>

For real life? Do you remember what they were called? I can't find any ingame help and knowing how to play might make it a lite less boring, but probably not.

Edit: I just realized that if I know the developers right whatever document you got most likely is only for playing like a human, but it might be interesting reading anyways.

[ October 20, 2007: Message edited by: Armok ]

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2007, 12:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fishersalwaysdie:
<STRONG>
Did Alis die in I or IV?
I know I played one of them, the one with Zio.
Does this description fit every part? O_o</STRONG>

I never played 1 but I know Alis isn't in it, you do get some kind of magic cat though who unlike Alis is allot better at not permanently dying. No Zio either. You most definitely played PS4. I haven't played PS3 either but I think it's about your character going around fighting wind-up ducks and getting laid, so it sounds pretty good to me.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »

PS1 is Alis and friends fighting Lassic and Dark Force across several planets of Algo. I never got far enough in that one.

PS2 is Rolf, Nei, and a host of others fighting an incursion of monsters on Motavia and fixing serious glitches in the local supercomputer Mother Brain with a very large sword. Nei is a woman with elf-like ears, she dies somewhere halfway to the end.

PS3 starts with prince Rhys looking for a girl called Maya, and ends in one of the 4 possible endings. The game spans 3 generations, and you choose who to marry each time, yielding different results. The play area is a big flowerlike satelite in the Algo system. It's the only game where you don't get to choose companions despite multiple being available. The cyborgs Mieu and Wren stick with your characters to the end, and the fourth character is chosen according to generation.

PS4 is the last and the best, starts with Alys and Chaz looking for causes of a monster outbreak, and has all the best traits of all games - multiple worlds, engaging storyline, great graphics, and of course Zio, Dark Force, and a host of other bad guys. Alys dies too early in the game though.

I want to make at least SOME game look more like PS4. I find the blend of melee weapons, high-tech stuff and magic very good in this game, above all others in all genres.

[ October 20, 2007: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Jothki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 04:36:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>I don't really feel like 'bashing' other games.

On the contrary, if I ever feel the urge, I'd like to recreate my favorite jRPG - Phantasy Star 4 - within DF. Not exactly the game itself, rather its world - parmanians, motavians, the various indigenous lifeforms...  Sand worms will be pretty tricky methinks, but most of the rest should be possible even in the current version. Err, probably apart from the laser claws, laser swords, laser cannons, and other undwarflike weaponry.</STRONG>

Just mod in a mineral called 'laser'.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2007, 07:30:00 am »

That'd work... if you could mod in metals :/

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2007, 08:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning4:
<STRONG>That'd work... if you could mod in metals :/</STRONG>

You can mod minerals in the next version,  :)  but I think it would end up rather messy with -laser anvils- and laser crossbows firing +kitten bone bolts+.  :roll:

And thrown -laser coins[500]-.  :eek:

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2007, 09:03:00 am »

What else can you mod in the next version? Crafts I'm hoping, that's something that could be customized, like how toys and instruments are already.
I can see why furniture isn't moddable. Furniture is pretty complex and it's already pretty varied as is.

Moddable biomes would be interesting. Probably way later down the road though. Though, there isn't much point to it besides giving you a new ground type, a different temperature than other biomes, a new definition to put animals and trees under, and variability in rivers and such. You can already change animals and trees how you want so you can make a giant mushroom-tree swamp inhabited by spore-related creatures (Zangarmarsh!).
You could probably do stuff like get rid of all the other biomes and make a total tundra would or something though.

I want to see some more flexibility with entity modding. Like, when you have multiple civ_controllables, they all spawn, and you can choose which to play. Instead of having [AMBUSHER], [NUISANCE], [BABYSNATCHER], or [SIEGER] or stuff like that... a new tag cluster in the entity file... maybe something like this:

code:
[DIPLOMACY]
[ENTITY_RELATIONS:MOUNTAIN:EVIL:WAR]
[ENTITY_RELATIONS:MOUNTAIN:PLAINS:PEACE]
[ENTITY_RELATIONS:MOUNTAIN:FOREST:PEACE]
[ENTITY_RELATIONS:MOUNTAIN:SKULKING:NUISANCE]
[ENTITY_RELATIONS:PLAINS:EVIL:WAR]
[ENTITY_RELATIONS:PLAINS:FOREST:PEACE]
[ENTITY_RELATIONS:PLAINS:SKULKING:NUISANCE]
[ENTITY_RELATIONS:FOREST:EVIL:WAR]
[ENTITY_RELATIONS:FOREST:SKULKING:NUISANCE]
[ENTITY_RELATIONS:EVIL:SKULKING:NEUTRAL]

Tags underneath each entity dictate what size their caravan is, and if they are offended by any material (not just things from formerly living beings!)
So, if you make a goblin adventurer, you are at war with all the three races, and neutral towards kobolds (possible questgivers!). Quests might pop up like ransack a nearby dwarven fortress, kill a dwarf king, or even some normal ones like destroy some random ettin that's been harrasing the well-being of the fortress. Kobold quests might be about the same as the other three races. Maybe some thief stuff.
If you make a kobold adventurer, you might not be immediately hostile towards everyone. I think the three races would probably start really low faction but not to the point they'll outright kill you. Sort of how it is in the Fale Siegedriven story, only including dwarves too. Though I think befriending one of the three races will start making you hostile towards goblins.

Obviously once the game gets towards more flexible diplomacy, this probably will no longer be needed, but while it remains fixed, this could help.

But yeah the point I'm getting at with this is to be able to play all the races, and have the other races react to you accordingly, and that there be no limit on  spawnable races (well okay, still a limit, but capped at the maximum number of civlizations that spawn in the first place... like you can have some 20 mountain civs since a whole bunch of goblin civs spawn, and a good number of plain civs, etc) So a modder could make a really complex diplomatic stage where there's multiple factions warring with each other and you can play adventurers from each side. Adventure mode quests can act accordingly and send you to enemy places to do some carnage.

Jothki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2007, 11:52:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>

You can mod minerals in the next version,   :)  but I think it would end up rather messy with -laser anvils- and laser crossbows firing +kitten bone bolts+.   :roll:

And thrown -laser coins[500]-.   :eek:</STRONG>

Laser anvils are the best kind of anvils.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2007, 11:55:00 am »

yeah, well i guess if you micromanaged it properly in an RP kind of way you could end up with a <<titanium>> that fires *laser bolts*  :)

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2007, 07:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
[QB]PS1 is Alis and friends fighting Lassic and Dark Force across several planets of Algo. I never got far enough in that one.  

I used to rent PS1 out over and over again and never seemed to figure out what to do at the same damn point (mind you I was like 10yo). I finally got through it a few years ago on a ROM.

I foudn IV sad because you play Alys up to that certain point, she gets sick and then dies right before you find the town that with the statue dedicated to her ancestor Alis and the PS1 crew. Very very sad.

Which reminds me, I think the first ever video game that scored a tear from me was Secret of Mana! Such an incredibly mournful ending (the Sprite, etc etc).

I think Illusion of Time/Gaia was the next one that pulled my heart strings and got me watery.   :(

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2007, 10:41:00 pm »

Theres always Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2...I'm quite impressed what Disney can do when paired with a well known game company.  Good plot, had a few emotions here and there.

Most other games I've played recently all had a distinct sense of once you get to this point you've already shelled out money and lost the receipt so **** you. Except UT2k4, but that has no plot to speak of.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4