Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Delvers — The First Mission  (Read 11771 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Delvers — Staging Area, character sheets in process
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 10:41:36 am »

Ariel perked up at the mention of her name, it was the only other female in the group. Have they met be-

Oh of course! Introductions. She was too busy in checking if everything was ready to remember that thing, usually knowing people by face and not name.

"Sir Parker, what is in these Health potions that...help our health? And, why can't we be pathfinders at rank zero?"

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Delvers — Staging Area, character sheets in process
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 11:28:04 am »

I don't know if I'm in or not (A player-list would be nice!), but...

Jurial will suit up, and head out when the Pathfinder does. Try and snag something nice to help along the way, of course.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Delvers — Turn 0?
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 02:08:25 pm »

After making sure his light armor was perfectly strapped and nothing was out of order by lightly tapping his garments, Falken took a moment to check his teammates. All of them were humans, of course. It seemed humans were the most thrill-seeking race out there. Falken smirked as he spun his red spear's length around his armored fingers with ease.

Most of them were young, around his age, although he did see a far older man, with somewhat of a weary look. Pieces of hope in the darkness, their success would allow for the survival and happiness of many, while their failure would also mean a loss for the powers they representing.

Falken would do his best not to commit mistakes during his first assignment. That was the opportunity he had expecting, a chance to try his abilities as a Reeler in a mission, instead of being limited to his training.
"I have no questions."

"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Delvers — First mission
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 07:11:43 am »

The Lighthouse is largest cube, sized large enough for the Lightkeeper to enter and actually control the Lightcubes and others. It's like a 3D interface inside, but with magic :P Open screens, move them around, send orders to lightcubes, the works.

(Caerwyn: Edit your HP to 25 and Swiftness to1, since that's how many they buy with 5 points each. You -are- in. Here's a list.)

Spoiler: list (click to show/hide)

Q: Why can't we become 0-certified Pathfinders?
"Well, for one, Pathfinders can't be just Pathfinders. They have to have training in other positions, usually Lightkeeper or Searcher, before they can handle being a Pathfinder. I'm a Lightkeeper, by the way. Also, Pathfinding is a pretty boring job, and you hot-blooded younglings probably won't like it."

He chuckles.

Q: Health potions?

He shrugs. "Don't look at me, I don't go anywhere near the apothecaries."

"Okay, if everyone's ready, all aboard the Void express!"

Parker waves towards the ugly box and gets on himself.

The delvecart slowly drifts along the yellow line leading out of its berth, then joins more yellow lines, gets into a long line of other delvecarts, some large, and some small; the queue inches forward until the delvecart the team is in is at the front. Some men exchange signals with flags, then scurry off to a side. The platform starts to descend.

The crosshatched steel lift shudders down the shaft, sometimes revealing lit but abandoned caves, sometimes showing rusted metal, sometimes rough rock. The monotonous grinding fills the air. Every once in a while there is a old-fashioned lantern fixed to a girder, which have guts of cutting edge magitech, keeping up a wan light that banishes darkness but doesn't quite introduce light to the sides of the vertical tunnel. Though the lift often shudders as it meets a rivet or a seam, the slight suspension of the delvecart above the surface prevents most of the shock from being passed on. The bore is said to lead more than a thousand feet into the ground, passing through strata innumerable and through eons of ages of geology. The magnificent terra firma of the old earth passes through the hole, or rather the hole passes through the layers upon layers of natural history. The Light wasn't destructive, then, but no-one alive now still remembers that time, except some of the oldest Delvers. Strangely, working in the Void and other worlds makes the people who did age slower. It is not known why.

Eventually, a brilliant deep blue starts to light up the shaft—it is the Void, lit up by an endless eternal blue. The platform meets the end of the lift's rails and halts. It then slowly tips over, letting the delvecart slide off and into the Void. As the team falls, someone looking out the rear window would see the platform right itself and start its retreat up the rails.

The Pathfinder stands at the controls and concentrates, then throws a huge lever. The delvecart stops falling with a clang, then rolls along like it is on a solid road. Where there was nothing but more eye-blinding blue before, a small vertical line of navy appears, widens and engulfs the cart. The light goes away like someone threw a switch to shut off a Lightcube.

World 17-flat

"Well, we're here. Before getting off, I'd advise the Lightkeeper to enter his House and turn on a few Lightcubes. The dark bites.

"In case you have more questions, just ask me as you go. I'm also a Lightkeeper, like I said, so I'll be eavesdropping on communications and generally be ready to react. I have to send a Cube after Joker, anyway. Remember once more: both Extractors and Searchers can find ore and float stone, but the Searcher does so from further away with Searcheyes. Aaaand, go.
"

A pale grey Lightcube pops into vision above Joker and clicks on, giving him a white halo and shadowing his features in an interesting way. He grins and looks ready to slip out after the others.

Parker maximizes his Lighthouse and steps inside.

The dark cave outside is damp and chilly, and no wind blows. If one would step out onto the ground, they would feel something splash.

Currently, there are no lights at all outside.

Spoiler: Team inventory (click to show/hide)

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Delvers — The First Mission
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 08:30:50 am »

"Lightkeeper, please shine some light here." Falken said as he stared into the darkness, hefting his spear and taking a step ahead, already preparing to move out with the rest of the team in tow.

Walk ahead after light is provided.

>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
Re: Delvers — First mission
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 10:08:26 am »

I think that makes 5. I don't know if all of the classes are here, though. We have two Warders, and ... we're missing a Searcher. :D

URGH! I WAS GONNA BE THE SEARCHER!

I guess there's always the next mission.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 10:10:39 am »

Jurial will proceed with the others, happy to finally be somewhere fun!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 11:40:43 am »

The familiar feeling of solitude hung over Ariel as the group alighted to their position, the peace and quiet of nothing but the dark, vast expanse of stone...

She had a nagging feeling that her allies were not the extroverted type -- at least they had action as a common trait, but it would be more comfortable if...people talked more. They seemed like interesting individuals, more interesting, that is.

Anyway, she proceeded to tag Quara and then Falken with her wards.

Spoiler: Ariel Cerae (click to show/hide)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Re: Delvers — Staging Area. 0 of 5.
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2012, 12:55:19 pm »

((I assume the floaters are essentially little floating guns that follow you around, right?))
Eric watched as their Warder moped about, seeming depressed. Poor girl. He watched the others for a bit, seeing if they would cheer her up. When none of them did it, he walked up behind her and tapped on her shoulder with a smile.
"Oi, cheer up a bit. We're going to go find floatstone and everything going to be just dandy."
Afterwards, he loads the rock gun with some junk stones lying on the ground and follows the others.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:00:07 pm by Spinal_Taper »

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 04:44:43 am »

I am assuming the lighthouse illuminates the area too

Quara Enters her lighthouse, And sets lightcubes floating near her team mates as follows, [C] Cubes to Falken and Erx ;[D] Cubes to Ariel and Juril
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 04:46:11 am »

Have you abandoned that farming RtD?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2012, 07:44:37 pm »

Quara sets [D] to Ariel and Juril, [C] to Falken and Erx. The cubes float at about two meters in the air and cast a light straight down.

She enters her Lighthouse after inflating it. She can see what is around each cube: the [D] cubes can see the immediate area lit up, while the [C] cubes can also see a dim image of 180 degrees, including the lit area.

((Write where each cube went to in your character sheet!
Also, what color are your cubes? :3))

Falken watches a cube take position over his head and switch on. He heads out. The ground is slick with something that could be mud. Looking down, he sees a surface that is dark-looking even with a Cube shining light directly down. He looks around; the cave walls can be seen about five meters out. The shadows seem to wriggle and flow. Out there, maybe ten meters, he can see an orange dot. Remembering his Reeler training, he surmises it must be a Dark creation with its eye closed.

Jurial heads out cheerily. A cube appears and lights him up. The slippery cave floor seems unexpected, but all is well. The floors seem to heave just out of the circle of light. An orange dot is somewhere off in the darkness.

Ariel gently sets a [D] ward floating around Falken, and a [D] ward set to "Area" around the Lighthouse and the small Delvecart. A barely visible [insert color] dome springs up. By her reckoning, the wards themselves would absorb half of the damage, and the other half will be directed to her.

((Choose your color! xD Also, write down what wards are around who.))

Eric

((Yes, and they can drill too, if you attach a drill to them.))

6->3 He waves his hand on the dark floor, but it seems smooth and clean. He can't feel rock, as he should, and he fails to arm his rock gun.

Parker mutters to himself, "That's weird, why's there creep in a flat world?" Only Quara can hear him.

Joker lopes out after Eric and stays behind him. The cube above his head casts a much wider light than the [D] and [C] cubes Quara has. He winks at anyone who might be looking his way, and idly twirls a spear between his hands.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2012, 10:17:58 pm »

Staring at the Dark creation, Falken tightened the grip of his hands at the crimsom spear before storing it and taking a simple one from his inventory. He spun it and put it in a ready position, his eyes narrowing as he connected the reel to his spear.
"I'll try a test strike with a weaker weapon first." he said, preparing to fling his spear.

Throw the simple spear with the reel attached towards the enemy.

>Yes?

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2012, 07:12:13 pm »

"Dark things? Already? "
Set up the sentries in a triangle above the group.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2012, 08:36:12 pm »

Noticing the team seems to be slacking off, Falken turns his head towards them.

"Hey, Dark creation ahead, prepare for combat!" he says, his voice loud but not quite a shout. "It is time. I'll try to strike it first with a spear and my reel, be prepared." he completed, his voice confident and his posture likewise.
>Yes?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16