Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New kind of danger room and the experience of falling dwarves  (Read 3081 times)

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New kind of danger room and the experience of falling dwarves
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 02:04:21 pm »

Five random dwarves in armor without shields or weapons were dropped.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 02:32:34 pm »

Five armored dwarves with weapons and shields. This is the results that i was expecting. Could someone show me some plans for a slow repeater for long term effect study.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 02:51:11 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Repeater There're a few designs that you could look into.

This study interests me, particularly the skill decreases. That looks too big to be decay, and it'd help if you post the skill changes with your snapshots along with skill list. Showing physical profile would be interesting too.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 05:51:20 am »

CONCLUSION TO MY EXPERIMENTS:
Falling dwarves will gain or lose armor xp if the fall damage was blocked by armor, cloak or clothes. I have no idea why they sometimes lose xp but at larger skill levels they gain/lose more xp which leads to next point. Legendary weapon, shield or fighter will gain/lose xp in their respective legendary skill. Why? I have no idea. I have no legendary strikes, kickers or wrestles to experiment on. For now i am dismantling my dwarf dropper and going back to saner parts of dwarf management if anyone is brave enough to explore these strange corners of that wild universe then you have my permission to do so.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 08:24:33 pm »

You may want to submit a bug report if you can reliably make them lose XP by falling.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 08:36:39 pm »

But it isn't the planet that has momentum, it's Fighter. Ergo, size doesn't matter except as it affects gravity's pull.
Fighter is a moron, and 8-Bit Theater is a comedy. Ergo, it works.

Is it just me, or did all of them lose Fighter experience when they gained skills from this? Did working on it make them slowly realize how stupid it was, making them less like Fighter?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 08:57:27 pm »

The planet is a LOT bigger than a monster's fist.

If you could dump a fist and a planety they both take up a tile

Dodging exp comes from when the dwarf does that mid-air cartoon run towards the cliff, but misses.  It was a good try so he gains exp.

the loss of shield xp is from him becoming rusty, I don't know why he didn't try to block the ground.  It takes up the same amount of tiles as his shield.  This is probably a bug.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 12:54:01 am »

the loss of shield xp is from him becoming rusty, I don't know why he didn't try to block the ground.  It takes up the same amount of tiles as his shield.  This is probably a bug.
Loss of xp is not from skill rust can a dwarf lose thousands of xp in just a few gamedays. I haven't found a pattern to xp decrease it looked very random to me.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 03:06:01 am »

May I suggest droping dwarfs on dwarfs (or other beings)? Free the market of the ground, double your income.
Pages: 1 [2]