Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Post your Failafacts here!  (Read 5375 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post your Failafacts here!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 11:03:45 am »

A lead boot adorned with none of the things.

Can't happen. Artifacts always get at least one free decoration.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 11:29:09 am »

Spoiler: Dabbling Appraisal (click to show/hide)

A lead boot adorned with none of the things.

Can't happen. Artifacts always get at least one free decoration.
You sure about that? I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one non-decorated artifact out there

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 11:33:35 am »

... Why? The game guarantees it. There would have to be some weird bug involved for an artifact to show up without decorations.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 11:53:45 am »

It could be like my turtle shell bucklet adorned with spikes of turtleshell, or a perfect gem adorned with cabochons of that same gem, but all artifacts have a (usually minor) decoration from the base material.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 01:09:56 pm »

Most definitely was a bug that's happened to me multiple times then, though only in earlier versions so far. I could try to recreate it, but I have no idea what the situation was. I thought it was just a normal thing, so I didn't pay any mind to it.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 01:34:00 pm »

Bone i think.  Used to be some bone artifact bug where if bone was the base it ate all the deco.  Or something to that effect.  Fixed anyhow.

I've had buckets of these stupid rings and left gloves and crap.  Oh and a wooden bucket too.  Thankfully I have Display Cases so I can at least put them to work as goblinite lures.

Also the shield is meh but good for a marksdwarf mebbe, shield material does eventually play a role  For a buff melee dwarf you want a metal shield, it plays no effect in block properties but comes into play when using misc object user to shieldbash, a steel shield chips bones.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 01:44:26 pm »

I've had a maple shield crush a goblin skull, but in general I agree with you. (non-blue-)Metal shields are generally better from a bashing standpoint.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 02:22:58 pm »

I don't get why peeps hate artifact floodgates and doors. They're indestructible, so they can be used for sensitive areas, as building destroyers cannot destroy them. Special exception being HFS, which, I THINK, is capable of deconstructing artifact stuff, but not destroying artifact stuff.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 02:37:48 pm »

I don't get why peeps hate artifact floodgates and doors. They're indestructible, so they can be used for sensitive areas, as building destroyers cannot destroy them.

Er, how are they more indestructible than normal floodgates and doors? Sure, the item itself can't be destroyed, but can't building destroyers still wreck the building?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 02:38:14 pm »

I don't get why peeps hate artifact floodgates and doors. They're indestructible, so they can be used for sensitive areas, as building destroyers cannot destroy them. Special exception being HFS, which, I THINK, is capable of deconstructing artifact stuff, but not destroying artifact stuff.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Building destroyers don't actually "destroy" doors and floodgates - they basically remove them from the hinges. Thus, they can deconstruct artifact furniture.

From my turn in Spearbreakers (succession fort):
7th Timber
Yep... Juunya is an idiot. She made somethin' totally worthless to us.

Why? Why would you make a bunch o' dwarves somethin' like this? Come on, after all, we don't make blow darts. It's hardly worth anything, too.

I honestly can't see how a blowgun could possibly be useful. Dwarves can't even make blowdarts for it. :P

ninja'd by G-Flex.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 02:58:58 pm »

Artifact blowguns, while useless for combat,  can still be put into weapon traps and give a massive boost to room value and happy thoughts.

For truly useless artifacts, it's impossible to beat the crafted goods with a particular focus on instruments and toys.

DerNachbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 03:43:36 pm »

[...]
For truly useless artifacts, it's impossible to beat the crafted goods with a particular focus on instruments and toys.
I think children should have a need for toys and should also advance through their use. Surely an adamantine toy axe artifact would inspire the little beardling for his future career, giving him minor xp in axedorfing :) This way the long period of feeding useless mouths would be bearable without thoughts wandering into macabre territory ;) Imagine your own kindergarten with a barracks, nobles quarter etc, schooling the buggers for their later life.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 04:22:03 pm »

My recent fort has one which is just:
"This is an X. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality."
I can't remember what it is because I want to ignore it.
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 04:35:32 pm »

I think children should have a need for toys and should also advance through their use. Surely an adamantine toy axe artifact would inspire the little beardling for his future career, giving him minor xp in axedorfing :) This way the long period of feeding useless mouths would be bearable without thoughts wandering into macabre territory ;) Imagine your own kindergarten with a barracks, nobles quarter etc, schooling the buggers for their later life.

They will eventually, but as it currently stands, toys and instruments are the worst artifacts you can get.

The fact that they tend to be made out of the cheapest materials available just makes it worse.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 04:56:56 pm »

My Armorer claimed a metalworkshop
I just got a masterwork Bismuth Tiara
Fuck.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4