Rarely
- 25 (41.7%)
Never
- 4 (6.7%)
Have not yet but want to try.
- 2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Companions, do you use them?  (Read 3072 times)

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Companions, do you use them?
« on: August 18, 2012, 07:34:04 pm »

I've never used them myself but I've been tempted to very recently and am just wondering what the general feeling towards them is out there.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Companions, do you use them?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 07:53:29 pm »

Companions are necessary, and yet unnecessary. They are necessary to keep the Bogeyman away, yet unnecessarily needed to survive them; they are necessary to adventure with against tougher enemies you would have besting alone, yet unnecessary (or actually not desired) against others.

Of course, I have no idea if this will change in the next update.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 08:00:37 pm »

I always use them. They can be pretty handy, helping kill enemies, taking blows that would normally be aimed at you (their most important fucntion if you ask me), that kind of thing. I never go out to fight without them, unless I'm feeling cocky/suicidal.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 09:35:04 pm »

Well I have been trying them tonight and so far so good! The unnecessary necessity paradox is rather intriguing lol

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:45:40 pm »

Rarely. They've become something of a necessity in recent versions, but even then I prefer going solo.

I hate having megabeast kills stolen from me, so that's pretty much my main reason for not having companions. I think I only ever use them early in the game because bogeymen can be !!FUN!! when you're not very skilled at anything. Beyond that, they're a bit pointless.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 10:22:39 pm »

I've had ups and downs with them, so far. If you're going to rush into the wilderness, they're VERY helpful until you get some gear. Bogeymen can tear you to shreds pretty quickly otherwise.
However, they can quickly become a nuisance if you don't really need them. Waiting for 4 guys to drown/cross a river can get pretty annoying. They're also kind of useless if you plan to train before heading out, particularly so if you want to train swimming.

It's pretty funny to watch 19 elves charge at a bronze colossus.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 11:24:21 pm »

Your companions are always good meat-shields
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Gameboon

• Bay Watcher
  • In Sovjet-Dwarfland, dwarf commands you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 10:56:23 am »

I sometimes use 1-3 of them, and although I dislike their ability to killsteal, I enjoy the 'company'. I would like to be able to equip them with some better weapons, or at least have them pick up their weapon after their broken arm has healed though -_-.

I even try to train some in swimming occasionally.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 12:21:18 pm »

I think there should be an "As the situation demands" option

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 01:10:15 pm »

I think there should be an "As the situation demands" option

I just averaged that in when voting for my pick.

I look at it this way: With quite a few situations where they are needed or highly desired, still many situations where they are not desired or the need is to go it alone, and the rest being just a grey area - ignoring the unknown areas of the game on whether they help and depending on how your character is played or areas of the game you don't visit.

Somewhere in all of that I figured out whether there are a lot of situations that require companions, some where they aren't needed, and my playstyle of generally surviving better when I have a set of companions with me.

A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 06:01:39 pm »

I do not.
They determine the flow of battle, (charge in and duke it out with ALL of them). Leave no room to use my agility to my advantage, and afterwards I have to coddle the survivors, scattering the loot.

They increase ambush sizes, (what would have been a 5-on-one solo ambush is a 70-on-twenty party ambush). Not only is it a LOT more dangerous fighting that many enemies, (arrows are much more deadly in large numbers, plus your companions handle being outnumbered much worse than you, so they're dispatched and all their attackers refocus their efforts on you,(this also negates the 'meat shielf' advantage)), but it just gives too much loot to manage. I dislike leaving lewt on the battlefield.
They chase animals, move slow, drown in creeks, steal kills, and have zero interactions after you hire them.
Their only benefits are aesthetic company and keeping boogeymen away, and when you mod boogeymen out of your worlds, there's a pretty slanted scale.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 07:29:09 pm »

I had a zombie army. They took all the +copper bolts+ for me, rather than them piercing my masterwork candy helmet.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 07:30:02 pm »

I sometimes use 1-3 of them, and although I dislike their ability to killsteal, I enjoy the 'company'. I would like to be able to equip them with some better weapons, or at least have them pick up their weapon after their broken arm has healed though -_-.

I even try to train some in swimming occasionally.

you can use old adventures.
yes you can have skilled fighter with full armor and good swiming skills or fire balls
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 07:48:07 pm »

fire balls
Come again?  What do you mean by having adventurers with fire balls?  Why would I?

I do use companions, though it can be annoying when they steal kills.  Really though, now that I think about it, you still get credit for defeating them, it's just not under your kills.  You still get fame.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 08:15:11 pm »

if your old adventurers had any powers than can still use them.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: [1] 2