Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: You are an Adventurers' Agent  (Read 8855 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: You are an Adventurers' Agent
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2012, 10:00:28 am »

Meh, a poet. I doubt she'll be of much use. 25 AUW.
She's perceptive, agile and intelligent. I'm sure that we can find something for her to do, if she's interested.
"Sit on this tree for eight hours straight and watch for signs of feline activity."?

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2012, 01:51:11 am »

Year 1, Month 2, Day 1

"I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to disclose that," you answer with a smile of your own.  "But I can tell you that anyone who finds the cat would certainly be suitably rewarded, say, to the tune of 10 AUW?"

After some bargaining, you and Mira eventually agree that 25 AUW (including a non-refundable upfront payment of 5 AUW) represents a fair and equitable compensation for her time and effort in searching the Misty Forest for the cat, and she'll start first thing tomorrow if you'll show her the way to the forest.  (Note:  This will take you 2 Time Units, so you'll have only 6 instead of 8 Time Units tomorrow.)  You also tell her that she has to find the cat within the week, and that the cat's name is Frisky.

This piece of business concluded, Mira returns to her room to check and pack her supplies for an extended stay at the forest.

(Time consumed - 2 Time Units)

What  do you do now?

(a)  Visit a person or a place?  (Please specify)

(b)  Try to find out more about someone or some thing? (Please specify)

(c)  Try to find out more about the city and its institutions?  (Please specify what is it that you want to learn)

(d)  Try to find out more about the city's relationship with its neighbours?

(e)  Try to buy something?  (Please specify what it is that you want to buy)

(f)  Randomly explore the city and see what you find?

(g)  Something else?  (Please specify)

You have 5 Time Units left for today.

Spoiler:  Current Missions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  City Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:53:09 am by JosephWongKS »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2012, 04:02:37 am »

F.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2012, 04:43:02 am »

go visit the western shore in search of The Dancing Dragon, I guess.

I liked your previous suggestion better Dariush, so I'm voting for that. (which probably comes under a, or maybe c, on this list)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2012, 04:46:38 am »

go visit the western shore in search of The Dancing Dragon, I guess.

I liked your previous suggestion better Dariush, so I'm voting for that. (which probably comes under a, or maybe c, on this list)

Can I confirm this means you are voting for "go visit the western shore in search of The Dancing Dragon"?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2012, 05:06:45 am »

I'd say we should explore the city, but in a more specific way. Source different vendors which supply equipment and supplies we may need later. Things like weapons and armor, potions, scrolls if they exist. Standard adventurer equipment. When we are preparing expeditions later on we'll need to know where to get this stuff, and even in the short term we can 'issue' these items to our adventurers to ensure a better chance of success.

If they use or lose the items in the course of the adventure, the value of said item will be deducted from their fees or rewards, so there is little risk involved.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2012, 05:10:00 am »

I'd say we should explore the city, but in a more specific way. Source different vendors which supply equipment and supplies we may need later. Things like weapons and armor, potions, scrolls if they exist. Standard adventurer equipment. When we are preparing expeditions later on we'll need to know where to get this stuff, and even in the short term we can 'issue' these items to our adventurers to ensure a better chance of success.

If they use or lose the items in the course of the adventure, the value of said item will be deducted from their fees or rewards, so there is little risk involved.

+1.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2012, 06:02:15 am »

We already know where TDD is (due to the maaaaaagical map). We can safely assume it'll have a number of willing adventurers and we can always buy stuff later. Thus, for now we should search for potential empoyers.

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2012, 06:23:03 am »

(due to the maaaaaagical map).

I can't help but feel that there's still a gap between your expectations for this thread and what this CYOA is intended to be like (I hesitate to say "the reality of this game" for fear of giving the wrong impression that "reality", however defined, is a feature or goal of this CYOA).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2012, 07:02:31 am »

(due to the maaaaaagical map).

I can't help but feel that there's still a gap between your expectations for this thread and what this CYOA is intended to be like (I hesitate to say "the reality of this game" for fear of giving the wrong impression that "reality", however defined, is a feature or goal of this CYOA).
I'm not really sure what the intention here is either. Perhaps you could explain it just a bit. Is this intended to be a serious fantasy game where things have realistic (as defined be reality in the game) consequences, or a silly romp through adventure and circumstance meant only to entertain? If the latter, then ignore my suggestion and I'll simply watch.

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2012, 07:33:46 am »

I'm not really sure what the intention here is either. Perhaps you could explain it just a bit. Is this intended to be a serious fantasy game where things have realistic (as defined be reality in the game) consequences, or a silly romp through adventure and circumstance meant only to entertain? If the latter, then ignore my suggestion and I'll simply watch.

It's meant to be a "theme park" like World of Warcraft, in that there's something for you to see and do everywhere you go, but a "sandbox" in the sense that it's a freeform game and we are not limited by a dialogue wheel or computer memory space.

Within this general framework, the decisions you make, in relation to what I provide for you to see and do, will have "realistic" consequences - for example, if you had chosen to walk into The Smelly Donkey and start punching everyone in the inn, then the city militia will swiftly come after you with a heavy fist.  If you insult authority figures, then they will use their power to punish you.  And so on and so forth.

And because of that, I will make sure to provide you with a warning and/or red flag every time you make a decision which has consequences which you may not expect but which Durin as a character in the setting should reasonably be aware of.  For example, during the conversation with Walde and Gyles, if breaking off the conversation would have offended them, I would have highlighted it.  I'm not trying to "kill you" (as Dariush accused) and there will not be any unforeseeable traps or tricks.  I'm not a killer DM, and you do not have to poke everything with a ten-foot pole or spell out everything you want to do in exhaustive sequence and down to the minutest detail.

Also, I'll freely handwave things that I do not think are particularly interesting, like having to visit a place for the first time (with the chance of getting lost etc) before you can identify its location. 

Does that sound fair and fun to you?  If this playstyle and approach is in not in accord with the people following this thread, I'm happy to stop the game and start afresh with a different idea / approach.

EDIT:  On further reflection, it seems that I'm spending more time explaining and justifying my approach than on writing the actual game itself, and the plot hooks I dangle seem to be constantly missed and/or rejected, especially by Dariush.  I'll close this thread and perhaps come back with a revised approach or idea another time.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:23:01 am by JosephWongKS »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]