Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dealing with loud neighbours  (Read 1754 times)

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing with loud neighbours
« on: August 18, 2012, 06:13:04 pm »

Well, it is 2:00 in the night as I am writing this and I am as pissed off as a bull with a spear up his ass since my neighbours one story higher are still playing music and laughing like maniacs, and I want to get back at them. I can hear every word they yell out the whole night, and they do this almost weekly. No, police won't do. I want them to suffer in the morning.  I will go grocery shopping in the morning, buy some chewing gum and eggs, glue their door socket, bell ringer and crash a few eggs on their doormat. But it sounds uninspired to me. I need more Ideas, bay12. Bonus points if you can suggest a way that will make them soaked in piss. I'm a working person and this kind of behaviour is completely unaccaptable to me.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with loud neighbours
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 06:16:03 pm »

Or you could act like an adult and either talk to them, or call the police and register a noise complaint.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 06:17:29 pm »

In a less violent and less likely to get you sued or arrested manner, I highly suggest investing in a good pair of earplugs, especially if this happens regularly. Good earplugs can stop you from hearing all sorts of loud and obnoxious neighbors, while still letting through extremely loud sounds (such as the bedside alarm). Even cheap pairs can cut a lot of the noise out and let you have a fairly good chance to fall asleep. This especially works well if you use a vibrating or other physical alarm (such as a phone set to vibrate inside of your pillowcase) so that you don't need to be able to hear the alarm in the morning to wake up.

Also as Bdthemag suggested, noise complaints work rather nicely as well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:47:02 pm »

Well, I do get earplugs at my work so I could use them, but regardless, I have called the police. Thanks for straying me for a mature decision. Time to grow up I guess. I am sitting right now and waiting for the police to turn up and give them a warning, I don't really want them to get a fine since it's quite big, but if they do get it, I guess they had it coming. I mean, it's not like they at least would try to be a bit more quiet.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 07:00:17 pm »

In my experience "they had it coming" is a poor defence in court, even if it's dressed up to sound more like "He started the fight, he threw the first punch when he couldn't get a rise out of me with words, it's not my fault I'm a better fighter than he'll ever be."  They might have a fine coming if the police judge they're being unreasonably noisy, that's okay.  Anything they have coming which involves you being fined or incarcerated if you deliver it, just let someone else deliver it.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 07:06:52 pm »

Well, AFAIK these things are done anonimously, If the police think they were loud, they will get fine, or atleast a warning. If not, nothing happens. They did ask for my last name, but if something happens, I will have other neighbours that will stand by me. Anyway, they're not making any noises anymore, so I guess everything's fine now.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 07:18:55 pm »

In my opinion, you should have at least tried talking to them before getting police involved. I've been in plenty of situations where me and my friends were probably making more noise than we should have been, but would have had no problem toning things down if someone had simply been polite enough to ask.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 07:34:57 pm »

In my opinion, you should have at least tried talking to them before getting police involved. I've been in plenty of situations where me and my friends were probably making more noise than we should have been, but would have had no problem toning things down if someone had simply been polite enough to ask.

I am talking about adults here and I have talked about it with their daughter, who is a few years younger than me, and she said that she will talk to them about it.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 09:44:54 pm »

If their door opens inwards, lean a garbage bin full of water on their door and ring the bell. Then run away.
My wooden badge was delicious.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 12:33:03 am »

If their door opens inwards, lean a garbage bin full of water on their door and ring the bell. Then run away.
That requires you to be inside their room to set it up and then you won't be able to leave through that door.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 12:59:56 am »

That requires you to be inside their room to set it up and then you won't be able to leave through that door.

...No, it doesn't.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 03:40:56 am »

This will be in my books of preferable pranks, very good.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 11:30:59 am »

Well, AFAIK these things are done anonimously, If the police think they were loud, they will get fine, or atleast a warning. If not, nothing happens. They did ask for my last name, but if something happens, I will have other neighbours that will stand by me. Anyway, they're not making any noises anymore, so I guess everything's fine now.
If they asked for your last name, it isn't anonymous.  They know approximately where you live and what your last name is, so they can track you down whenever.

Seriously people, stop telling things to the police! There are untold droves of people who have screwed themselves over by giving the police information. There have been instances in which the police have arrested people they know they couldn't prosecute on what they had and got them to implicate themselves in interrogation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 11:33:28 am »

If they party till wee hours, they must sleep in. Blast death metal at full volume at 8AM to give them a taste of their own medicine.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 11:59:03 am »

Nah, just blast metal as loud as you can during the day.

That said, I was woken up three days in a row by kids screaming and crying.
Given, it was like 2pm in the afternoon, but still FUCKING SHUT UP GOD I'M TRYING TO SLEEP.
Pages: [1] 2