Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Drug Discussion  (Read 12867 times)

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about drugs
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 07:40:22 pm »

I don't think that's entirely true - increased tolerance and physical withdrawal symptoms have been credibly noted - but certainly cannabis has a much lower risk of physical dependency than many legal substances.

What I find crazy is that due to scare stories, many people are terrified of LSD when it's one of the safest and least addictive drugs out there.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 08:10:38 pm »

I probably was wrong (and I've met lots of people who'll tell me all about it), but they all seemed crazy (this girl later went on to kick a guy in the balls for sitting next to her). And so I ended up thinking that you shouldn't do drugs. And then I carefully didn't talk to people about it because they ended up lapsing into crazy mode every time. So that's where I am now, really.
You were, in fact, wrong. Marijuana does not cause physical addiction. Psychological addiction is possible, but psychological addiction is possible for anything and everything.
A 1998 study in Australia reported that 78% of long term cannabis users reported signs of withdrawal. Further studies have shown that it is less addictive then caffeine, tobacco, alcohol, cocaine or heroin, but slightly more addictive then psilocybin, mescaline, or LSD.

As for LSD, the big problems are mainly that the way that LSD trips go is highly dependent upon the state of mind that the user is in when they take the drug. This is in great contrast to many other drugs, where you will get similar psychological results irregardless of the state of mind the user takes the drug in. As such though LSD can have much "better" trips then other drugs, it's bad trips can be much, much worse. The other problem is that LSD has the tendency to corrupt your ability to make good/bad judgement centers of your brain, making you more likely to do stupid things (such as things you would normally classify as "dangerous") while under the effects. This differs from other drugs such as meth or marijuana which, while they might increase your self-confidence, or make things more appealing by increasing stimuli (such as the "munchies") they actually have very little effects upon the judgement making part of your brain that decides whether something is stupid or not. So while a person on marijuana might eat too much because the drug makes the food taste better, a person on LSD might eat too much because "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I would agree that if you are going to do drugs LSD is the best (though I personally don't condone any drug use other then medical), as it has virtually no chance of addiction and has no real lasting effects after the drug has left your system. I would highly suggest that you make sure to give somebody else your car keys and attempt to set it so that you can do as little "stupid decisions" during your trip. Lastly I would also suggest that you maybe meditate for a while before use and do what you can to make you relaxed before consuming, thus ensuring your best experience and not a scene out of a nightmare.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 08:24:15 pm »

Most of the people I hang out with smoke, drink, fuck, and/or have at least experimented with various other types of drugs at some point in time. Can't say I mind it too much, though. I respect that those are their choices just as they respect mine. Unless something starts seriously fucking up their life, I'm not going to scold them for it.

My outlook can basically be summed up as, "Do what you want, but be responsible about it."
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:27:37 pm by King DZA »

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 08:25:12 pm »

I would agree that if you are going to do drugs LSD is the best (though I personally don't condone any drug use other then medical), as it has virtually no chance of addiction and has no real lasting effects after the drug has left your system. I would highly suggest that you make sure to give somebody else your car keys and attempt to set it so that you can do as little "stupid decisions" during your trip. Lastly I would also suggest that you maybe meditate for a while before use and do what you can to make you relaxed before consuming, thus ensuring your best experience and not a scene out of a nightmare.

Yes, and I probably should have said as much in my previous post. Set and setting are very important when taking any kind of hallucinogen. DON'T trip if you are feeling bad or in an unfamiliar environment. I would also recommend ensuring someone experienced is present.
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 08:38:46 pm »

my outlook can basically be summed up as, "Do what you want, but be responsible about it."

This is sensible. Drugs can be a lot of fun - they can even be a transcendental experience - but you have to approach them with respect. Using them in a purely hedonistic way is likely to cause you trouble at some point (and this applies to legal drugs as well as illegal ones).

You can divide people into two groups, drug people and non-drug people. Non-drug people shouldn't take drugs, they're not suited to it (and this is nothing to be ashamed of - taking drugs isn't in and of itself cool or smart). Drug people will get a lot of interesting experiences from but are more prone to screwing themselves up wth them.

I'm drunk at the moment BTW. Alcohol has helped me write more pompous and asinine forum posts than even weed has.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 09:26:00 pm »

Personally, I don't find LSD any worse than alcohol. Outside other hallucinogens, its effects are most similar to being really drunk, but less consistent. At higher doses things can get weirder (and more similar to the archetypal tripping/hallucinations), but anything can get crazy in excess.

It also has the neat effect of skyrocketing your tolerance for a few days after you take it, making it very difficult to consume daily. The numbers I've been given from hearsay are that the next day you'll need triple the dose for the same effect. It significantly reduces the risk of abuse, and I think this effect is pretty unique among drugs.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 09:57:52 pm »

Also Hanslanda how were you caught? I mean if I were to do drugs I am fairly confident I could do so without getting caught by the police.

I was carrying pills in my pocket and was pulled over for an unrelated reason. My brother apparently had a warrant for shoplifting from a local Wal-Mart, because he was dating a very addicted, very unintelligent woman. They pulled me over because they saw my brother in my car, and it was one of the very few times I'd had any drugs on me. Usually I leave them home, but I'd just bought these moments earlier. ::) Anyways, they searched my car, and the rest is a foregone conclusion. 

As for the content of most of these posts, I completely agree. I did not just get hooked because I didn't know what was up. I researched drugs from the time I was twelve, in chemistry books, online, through people I knew were on drugs, and in a specific book that was basically a drug and drug terms dictionary. I knew that drugs were bad, addictive and very lethal. I knew the relative effects of each drug, and before I used anything, I would research it as best as possible. Except bath salts. I thought they were ecstasy, so that was a major failure on my part, but the effect was analogous, so I didn't die or anything.

People should be responsible if they are going to use. I completely agree that no one should use and drive. Especially not on marijuana. Marijuana is surprisingly dangerous, especially the cheap shit. I went into detail on this in another post, I'll find it here in awhile if anyone is interested. Basically, I've passed out more smoking marijuana than drinking or taking hideous amounts of Xanax or anything else. Thankfully never while driving, because I always made sure I was where I was supposed to be before I used, but still.

As for LSD. Ah, LSD. God do I love that drug. I've heard a lot of talk about set and setting, but honestly, I've never had a bad trip, and I've been in some seriously fucked up situations. I once took two hits and went to a hotel in the middle of town to watch ten methheads I'd never met before in my life snort a huge pile of the shit. Another time, I took fifteen hits and then got raided by the DEA. I will agree that set and setting are very important for the general populace, but I think something is wrong with my brain. :P

I will also add this disclaimer, as I have felt necessary to do in the past.
I do not condone drug use. I personally use drugs, yes. I am aware of the legal ramifications (painfully aware) and of the health effects of using drugs. I do not believe anyone should ever start using based on anything I ever say. Drugs are bad, and they fucking kill you, m'kay? But I do them, they make me happy, and I think I'm entitled to making myself happy just like everyone else. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 10:07:29 pm »

...they can even be a transcendental experience...
Explain to me this thing you mean.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 10:08:36 pm »

Girl: Just answer one question and I'll shut up. How many times do you have to do marijuana to get addicted to it?
Me: Uh, one?

Where in God's name did you even hear this? That's hardly even appropriate to say about nicotine.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 10:11:01 pm »

Girl: Just answer one question and I'll shut up. How many times do you have to do marijuana to get addicted to it?

Where in God's name did you even hear this? That's hardly even appropriate to say about nicotine.
It sounds like something out of a propaganda PSA. "If you ever use marijuana even once you will catch swine flu and get pregnant." is just barely hyperbole compared to the things they show in high school these days.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 10:13:44 pm »

...they can even be a transcendental experience...
Explain to me this thing you mean.

I've taken shrooms once. They made me appreciate simple things far more from just a single use. Some would call it a spiritual experience. I would not, but the feeling could be considered analogous.

It sounds like something out of a propaganda PSA. "If you ever use marijuana even once you will catch swine flu and get pregnant." is just barely hyperbole compared to the things they show in high school these days.

Indeed. High school drug education is woefully inadequate and dangerously misleading.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 10:15:51 pm »

I actually didn't hear it, I assumed it. It's probably the government's fault.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2012, 10:17:34 pm »

I actually didn't hear it, I assumed it. It's probably the government's fault.

It is a good assumption though.
He's fucking with us.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2012, 10:19:24 pm »

In high school health class, on a true false quiz, one of the questions/statements was "You can overdose from marijuana". I said "no" because frankly, that ain't about to happen in any conceivable sense. I was marked wrong, and when I asked why, the justification was that the marijuana might be laced with something that you then overdose on. You know, sort of like how air is fatally toxic (it might contain carbon monoxide!).

How is something totally contrary to the truth and without evidence "a good assumption"?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2012, 10:21:32 pm »

In high school health class, on a true false quiz, one of the questions/statements was "You can overdose from marijuana". I said "no" because frankly, that ain't about to happen in any conceivable sense. I was marked wrong, and when I asked why, the justification was that the marijuana might be laced with something that you then overdose on. You know, sort of like how air is fatally toxic (it might contain carbon monoxide!).

How is something totally contrary to the truth and without evidence "a good assumption"?

It is safer than assuming you won't get addicted and then getting addicted. I'm thinking of safety, not being correct and proper, thank you very much.
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10