Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What will happen when Dwarf fortress becomes user friendly? Let's make plans.  (Read 10536 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile

-A shape with at least three triangular faces which converge to a point-
You can lauch without making any voice or noise. But this is digression.

I was just amused by your quasi-religious (and completely errorneous) conviction. Eager neophyte to DF, I assume?
I've been playing/lurking for about 2 years now. tUMUt

But the DF following IS pretty big. It's large enough that I can click on any thread and see posts from people I have never seen a post of or heard about before. Compared to the MSPA forums where I also visit and I can recognise just about all of the people who post regularly, because it's a smaller (active) community. It has more accounts though funnily enough. I guess a lot of one or two-post accounts who lost interest.
And I know for a fact that Dwarf Fortress gets decent mentions in online media outlets (The Escapist is the only one I can think of right now, but that kind of thing). I would call it popular. Most people who know about it respect it for its depth and flexibility, even if they're daunted by the learning curve. I haven't yet spoken to/read about anyone straight out saying Dwarf Fortress as a whole was bad.

And the conviction in my statement may or may not have been in ironic sentiment. I can't really tell anymore if I'm genuinely trying to be funny or if I'm trying to show up how other people are wrong by mocking them. I really need better opinions.

I can tell you my girlfriend straight-up said DF was bad. She saw me playing and couldn't understand the graphics can called it terrible on the spot. I won't describe it to her because I cannot do it justice and because she likes her graphics too much.

Sad, really.
Dump her
My wooden badge was delicious.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

I can tell you my girlfriend straight-up said DF was bad. She saw me playing and couldn't understand the graphics can called it terrible on the spot. I won't describe it to her because I cannot do it justice and because she likes her graphics too much.

Sad, really.
Dump her in magma
ftfy

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

-A shape with at least three triangular faces which converge to a point-
You can lauch without making any voice or noise. But this is digression.

I was just amused by your quasi-religious (and completely errorneous) conviction. Eager neophyte to DF, I assume?
I've been playing/lurking for about 2 years now. tUMUt

But the DF following IS pretty big. It's large enough that I can click on any thread and see posts from people I have never seen a post of or heard about before. Compared to the MSPA forums where I also visit and I can recognise just about all of the people who post regularly, because it's a smaller (active) community. It has more accounts though funnily enough. I guess a lot of one or two-post accounts who lost interest.
And I know for a fact that Dwarf Fortress gets decent mentions in online media outlets (The Escapist is the only one I can think of right now, but that kind of thing). I would call it popular. Most people who know about it respect it for its depth and flexibility, even if they're daunted by the learning curve. I haven't yet spoken to/read about anyone straight out saying Dwarf Fortress as a whole was bad.

And the conviction in my statement may or may not have been in ironic sentiment. I can't really tell anymore if I'm genuinely trying to be funny or if I'm trying to show up how other people are wrong by mocking them. I really need better opinions.

Sad, really.
I agree with Granorke. She doesn't hate df as a whole, she just despises the graphics. Her assessment was too limited.

Dump her in magma!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

Wow, magma even solves relationship issues. Time to start digging!

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But the DF following IS pretty big.
You seem to mistake "a lot of people heard of DF" with "a lot of people play DF". And leave it at this.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

But the DF following IS pretty big.
You seem to mistake "a lot of people heard of DF" with "a lot of people play DF". And leave it at this.
Something can be popular if people only know about it right? F1 cars are pretty popular, but I doubt even 1% of the people who like them have ever driven one. And probably wouldn't if they could.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

I think it's quite funny, because all of you are part of the group of people who showed up after it became 3D, aka after Z-levels were implemented. [In some circles this is considered increasing user accessibility. *Cough*]

I think we should stop thinking playing Dwarf Fortress makes your intellectually superior, it's not like the smug attitude around here is a coincidence, Dwarves.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:39:02 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

It's the opposite. It took me over a week to figure out z-levels.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

It's the opposite. It took me over a week to figure out z-levels.
I second this motion.
It took me a while to figure out how to get my fort back whenever a migrant wave moved my screen to a different Z-level, I thought it was a completely different place where the migrants showed up.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork

I think we should stop thinking playing Dwarf Fortress makes your intellectually superior, it's not like the smug attitude around here is a coincidence, Dwarves.

we compare ourselves to minecraft, (or at least I do) and make the asumption that the minecraft community is the majority of the internet. its more like we compare ourselves to ten year old idiots to make us feel elitist, then thinking we are geiniusus for playing this game.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it's quite funny, because all of you are part of the group of people who showed up after it became 3D, aka after Z-levels were implemented.
Z-levels have NOTHING to do with user accesibility. First is change in game mechanic, second are things like sane user interface, presence of tutorials, lack of eye-raping matrix on screen, no arcane and illogical key combination etc etc etc...
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

we compare ourselves to minecraft, (or at least I do) and make the asumption that the minecraft community is the majority of the internet. its more like we compare ourselves to ten year old idiots to make us feel elitist, then thinking we are geiniusus for playing this game.
Honestly go on ANY other place on the Internet, and tell me there is anything else to compare too? We compare ourselfs to Minecraft because its a game like DF, it just happens to be full of 8 year olds, like every single other other place on the Internet save a few safe havens like Bay12. I agree that we are not super geniuses, but if you think about it, 95% of the Internet is 8-13 year olds that play CoD and Minecraft, and hate gay people and Justin Beiber, and here we are, an isolated group of 3000 or so mature people that can spell, that have learned to accept a game that most people of the Internet push away from because its not pretty or easy. When you put it that way, it sounds alot better doesint it? Considering the way DF looks, it just so happens it attracts people that are mature enough and smart enough to be able to accept the way it looks and learn to understand it.

I dont think you really have to be really smart to play DF, you just have to be mature/smart enough to accept the graphics. Once you stop worrying about the way the game works, your just suckered in.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:14:49 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

When you put it that way, it sounds alot better doesint it? Considering the way DF looks, it just so happens it attracts people that are mature enough and smart enough to be able to accept the way it looks and learn to understand it.

I dont think you really have to be really smart to play DF, you just have to be mature/smart enough to accept the graphics. Once you stop worrying about the way the game works, your just suckered in.

No, it still sounds as asinine and egotistical as ever. You're not special for playing DF, none of us are better than anyone for any reason because of it.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When you put it that way, it sounds alot better doesint it? Considering the way DF looks, it just so happens it attracts people that are mature enough and smart enough to be able to accept the way it looks and learn to understand it.

No, it still sounds as asinine and egotistical as ever. You're not special for playing DF, none of us are better than anyone for any reason because of it.
Im not saying people are special for playing DF, just that DF attracts more mature/smart people because the type of games this is. As in confusing and intimadating as hell.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork

what else do you expect a human to think? all humans will ratiailize that they are a cut above the average. the kids who play CoD and minecraft think they are special too. the feeling of being special is probably how all groups, on all levels of socity form. If your going to argue, please give me a group that dosn't think they are special.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4