Modern day
- 2 (5.6%)
20 mins into the future/Bleeding Edge
- 18 (50%)
Something else... (Suggest it)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Mercenary. A potential game. Chosen Infantry with Armoured support.  (Read 9585 times)

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenary. A potential game.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 10:35:57 am »

Oh, this looks fun. I'd suggest an all combo. Where we have an infantry platoon plus a few vehicles with the main base being a battleship (we're mercs! We need to travel :P)

For time, I'd prefer modern, cos I like modern. Future or near future would be fun for armoured infantry, battlesuits and walkers, but I shall content myself in making destruction with something as old fashioned as some tanks and footsloggers :P

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 10:54:47 am »

Well, are they walking tanks or soldiers in exosuits? That's how fitting those in would be a problem. But if we were to combine both settings... ;)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 11:11:44 am »

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 11:33:18 am »

http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/panzerfluch.html
http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/hausen.html
http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/mbw.html
http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/medved.html

Stuff like ^ :D
All those things can be defeated using a piece of rope or some mud. The feet are like way to small, they're going to sink immediatly.

Very true. They are just pieces of the potential mad science route.

Well, are they walking tanks or soldiers in exosuits? That's how fitting those in would be a problem. But if we were to combine both settings... ;)

Walking Tanks by the looks of things.
Raggle Fraggle

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 12:00:20 pm »

Oh, this looks fun. I'd suggest an all combo. Where we have an infantry platoon plus a few vehicles with the main base being a battleship (we're mercs! We need to travel :P)

Oh hey, didn't spot ya there. I'm trying to avoid merging everything. :P

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 12:04:54 pm »

Fair enough. Platoon. With APC's. And a tank. And a battleshi- oh crap :P

In srsness, happy to have my soldiers in flak armour get eaten by aliens from another galaxy :P

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 12:13:43 pm »

In srsness, happy to have my soldiers in flak armour get eaten by aliens from another galaxy :P

Now we're moving towards WH40K :P

Right, it looks like the infantry platoon has won, and because I want to, I'll add the tanks in with it as well.

So, new poll. Tech level. And while we're at it, I'll pose you all the following regarding casualties:
You can have a ton of nameless, indistinguishable grunts to command, which is by the far the simplest, but the least interesting. They'll die in droves, and you'll just have to buy some more once they've bit the bullet. Or, we could have it such that once you've bought the soldier, you'll always have him, if he dies you get given a new one free.
Or, your soldiers can have names and skills, which could be trained. But once you guys have invested a bit of time and effort in making them special, it'd suck if they still died in droves. So, we need to get a balance of fatality vs uniqueness. Discuss.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenary. A potential game. Chosen Infantry with Armoured support.
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 12:16:50 pm »

WE want it X-com style with awesome soldiers, called sub-zero, bulletproof vest, and Donuts!
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 12:56:23 pm »

If we take a high enough tech level, we can go for cloning. However, I like cutting edge more.

I'd say we'd go for a bit of a rogue feeling. Our soldiers can be strong and have implants reducing their fatality rates, but if they die they die. A replacement might turn up, to take the spot of honor, but he will always be a bit worse than the one he replaces Say 75% of the money equivalent.

This allows customization, and encourages people to avoid casualities while turning soldier loss from an instakill into a temporary setback.

LAAT501legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 01:18:38 pm »

Sounds interesting, I think having nameless soldiers is better, or atleast have them die, it will reduce burden for the GM.
This isn't reality.
THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!
*kicks an elf into the pit*
Roll to be a BATTLE WIZARD

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 02:35:34 pm »

I'm a fan of something that works along the lines of Disgaea or Fire Emblem in terms of named characters that can be trained and taken care of. Different techs and/or training can ensure possible chances of surviving certain wounds, even in defeat. However, it depends on the scope of this game.

Is this a strategy game, or a tactical game? If we want a larger platoon, then the nameless that die and need replaced would be better. But if we want this a little more like a Tactical RPG, then customisation works better. Could even argue that our mercs are superior for one reason or another, and tend to beat larger enemy forces if their NPC's.

The other option is a happy medium, where our platoon is large with nameless, but the seargents/lieutenants have names, characters and equipment, which would transmit to the squad they command. So, a squad commanded by someone who loves heavy weapons would have something like... a quad rocket launcher in their ranks.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2012, 05:58:50 pm »

The way I see it, is the crew of any vehicles will all be named and have skills, whereas I feel the infantry squads would be more generic. But my problem is how do I distinguish the two if the crew abandons their vehicle and starts fighting on foot, or an infantryman i drafted in to fill a gap in a tank?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2012, 06:01:29 pm »

Depends on the size of the platoon really.

If we're going with 24-man units (And 1-2 vehicles), having everyone individually named shouldn't be much of a hassle (Provided you use a random name generator). Skills should really only be noted if they're above or below average however...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2012, 06:03:57 pm »

Well, if instead you go by the idea of the tank's commander being the one that's equipped and so on and so forth, it can work exactly like my idea with the infantry squads. Course, you can have it that the tank's have all individual characters that fight very differently on foot, which would mean anyone in a tank is better than anyone on foot at practically everything, or else they wouldn't be so important.

My take is, the higher up the chain of command, the more character that person should have because they're important. It's convenience is that they can influence the men they're with adding character to entire squads whilst keeping it simple. It also increases the liklihood of named characters surviving, since they have the entire squad of nameless folk to die first.
A little bit of the new rules in Warhammer 40k at work I guess, since they've introduced a rule where a character (even seargents) that is wounded gets a 'look out sir' roll, where someone else in the squad may take the hit instead.

And yeah, it still does depend on how big a scope this is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8