Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: Will the old people of the future be as technophobic as the old people now?  (Read 43198 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

100 years ago, those things were ridiculously implausible. Why are today's ridiculously implausible possibilities different?
Because there's "Things which you'd need a couple of particular scientific breakthroughs or innovations to do" and "Things which which would require hundreds of unknown scientific breakthroughs that noone is really working on".  Neither flying nor space travel were ridiculously implausible 100 years ago, really (not least because flying had already happened by then - Kelvin was to some degree a stubborn fool who insisted physics was already finished in 1900).  You could speculate about methods of getting into space even if the technology to actually do it wasn't quite there.  Can we speculate on the methods of transferring human consciousness into dogs?  We don't even know how exactly consciousness arises, nevermind if you can meaningfully transfer it to a computer or a brain that controls a completely different body.  Which suggests that, if it ever did happen (which would be odd, considering technology tends to work towards things that people actually want) it would be in a very long time.

I can accept that transgendered people are legitimate because the brain is extremely complex and human sexual dismorphism is a lot less specialized than most people think, but Furries who actually think they're animals on the inside are crazy.
Also if you're prepared to accept blogs on Tumblr as evidence that people can identify as other species then you'd also have to accept that people can identify as dragons, robots and fictional characters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Well, the odd thing about flying is that ornithology was exactly the WRONG approach. It was a case where biomemetics (trying to copy something we see in nature) failed for decades. There's all kinds of flappy, "I'll attach a pair of wings to myself and soar like an eagle *SPLAT*" flying machines that failed utterly.

The way we learned to fly was discovering aerodynamics and being able to propel a vehicle faster than anyone could run. Could be that another radical shift in approach gets us to practical fusion or FTL or mind-machine interface.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

I was thinking more along the lines of "huh, birds are heavier than air, and they can fly".

Well, most of them.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

In the future, old people will tell you to "Get your hover bike off my lawn!".

And you will say "But it isn't on your lawn! see... its hovering."

And he will reply "You know what I mean!"

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

And then he will come out with his positron shotgun which he called "Old Betsy".

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I can accept that transgendered people are legitimate because the brain is extremely complex and human sexual dismorphism is a lot less specialized than most people think, but Furries who actually think they're animals on the inside are crazy.
Also if you're prepared to accept blogs on Tumblr as evidence that people can identify as other species then you'd also have to accept that people can identify as dragons, robots and fictional characters.
I'm actually cool with this.

As for the transgender thing and brains... yes, brains are quite complex. Yes, some people might have a brain fit for the opposite sex.

Now imagine we figure all this out completely, and we start looking at people's brains. There will be some trans individuals with the brain that matches their sex. Are you going to call them illegitimate? Are you going to tell them they aren't "really" what they identify as?

To me, someone's "identity" of any type can only be determined by themselves. There is no criteria or requirements except simply deciding it is so. They say who they are; you do not. If they find that a concept embodies "who they are," then they can associate themselves with that concept, be it a gender, animal, fictional character, etc. It depends far more on what they want to be seen as and associated with than how they are constructed, and there's nothing wrong with that.

If we start arguing whether someone is "really" this or that (on a metaphysical level), then we're arguing in circles through endless no true scotsman fallacies. No ifs ands or buts.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

As for the transgender thing and brains... yes, brains are quite complex. Yes, some people might have a brain fit for the opposite sex.

Now imagine we figure all this out completely, and we start looking at people's brains. There will be some trans individuals with the brain that matches their sex. Are you going to call them illegitimate? Are you going to tell them they aren't "really" what they identify as?
Not what I meant. The actual physical structure of the brain is irreverent, male and female humans are close enough together than mentally possessing a gender different from your body is plausible. Psychologically, children do not develop gender identity until a certain point in life.

Robots, aliens, and anthropomorphized animals are not humans at all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile

My stance is to not consider it weird at all. If people do want to take an inhuman form then I don't have to waste brain cycles on how weird they are, and if people don't I won't have to think about it at all.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile

To me, someone's "identity" of any type can only be determined by themselves. There is no criteria or requirements except simply deciding it is so. They say who they are; you do not. If they find that a concept embodies "who they are," then they can associate themselves with that concept, be it a gender, animal, fictional character, etc. It depends far more on what they want to be seen as and associated with than how they are constructed, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Someone may call himself a duck, think himself a duck, and wish to be considered a duck, but that shall not make him a duck, and I could never suppose him to be so.

They say who they are; you do not.
If, by “say who they are”, you mean prescribe or command, then it is a non-sequitur, as that is not what anyone was doing, and neither party could do so anyway. If you mean describe or observe, then both parties are capable of it with sufficient information.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the discussion about identity is missing the point. I don't need to "identify" with dolphins on any deep level to think it might be an interesting experience if I could be one for a few hours. Somebody else mentioned a few pages ago that if they could easily swap genders and back, they'd be curious enough to try it out. And personally, I don't "identify" with robots at all...but if I were given the option of having sex with this, yeah I'd totally do it at least once.

If body modification technology gets to the point that morphing your body into something non-human is no more permanent or expensive than getting your ears pierced...I assure you there will be people curious to try out the sorts of things I mentioned last page. And once you've had one generation that's grown up with exposure to that kind of thing...the inhibitions are likely to go away.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

If body modification technology gets to the point that morphing your body into something non-human is no more permanent or expensive than getting your ears pierced...I assure you there will be people curious to try out the sorts of things I mentioned last page.
Let's face it, some will do those sorts of things even if it is super-expensive AND super-painful AND semi-permanent.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Let's face it, some will do those sorts of things even if it is super-expensive AND super-painful AND semi-permanent.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

"Awww, but Mom!! Brittany got bioluminescence genes spliced into *her* DNA!! I'm gonna be the only one at school who can't glow in the dark!"

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

But think about it, the other kids can't become ninjas when they grow up!

Which, admittedly, is a good thing.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Gecko feet's where it's at, man. Fuck Dance on the ceiling, dude. On the freaking ceiling.

Also, imagine how many more kids we could shove into a classroom if they could sit on the walls and ceiling. So many more!

'Course, still considerably less than if we used virtual classrooms, but whatever. Part of the whole deal is massively inconveniencing the kids and wasting money!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21