Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: Will the old people of the future be as technophobic as the old people now?  (Read 43173 times)

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile

Eh, we'll find out the answer to the question in a couple of decades.
Hello Hunam

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account

There is a very small amount of technology I'm afraid of.
These are the only ones I can think of:
* Brain uploading that destroys the body (is it the real person or a fake copy?)
* Brain chips that aren't insanely limited (anything can be hacked. anything. even pacemakers.)
* Telepathy (see above)
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile

I'm inclined to believe that history will repeat itself, but the tech industry as a whole seems to be moving (albeit slowly) from a proprietary model to a more open one. Of course, I can't claim to know for sure how that will end up affecting anything, but I suspect that one result will be the reduction of monopolistic influences against technological progress (e.g. the MPAA/RIAA). That may actually make the issue worse if it speeds up progress, since technological evolution is already pushing out of the human comfort zone, and we're unlikely to evolve quickly enough to match it.

As for technology that I'd be comfortable with, I can't think of anything that I would reject so long as I had full control over it. For instance, I wouldn't accept a proprietary brain implant or any such thing with its functions hidden from me. If, however, its hardware/firmware/software were open, and had been carefully reviewed by multiple independent entities (and the methods of review were open as well), I would consider its use.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:41:42 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Suffice it to say that the younger generations have been born into an environment of technological change so rapid that adapting to new innovations is a matter of course, and that this will not change even as they become elderly.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Intresting discussion sparked, mission accomplished.

Tough for the sex with aliens thing, depends on how hot the alien babes are :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The anatomy could be so different that there may be no way to. I mean what if they reproduce by spores or something? And you're just breathing that shit in everyday.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

The anatomy could be so different that there may be no way to. I mean what if they reproduce by spores or something? And you're just breathing that shit in everyday.
If that counts as "sex" then you're making sweet, sweet love to various fungi every second of every day.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile

It is now one of my goals in life to start up gas mask manufacturing company with the slogan, "Every unfiltered breath makes you a filthy whore!"

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

I am banking on the fact that we'll be mostly cyborgs by the time I'm "old" anyways. I actually need technology to speed the hell up.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, i tought about that already.
Lets hope for the best. And else, genetic modification.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

If the future becomes a huge telepathic inter-species alien robot orgy, then I'll stick to being a senile old man who still plays Dwarf Fortress.
Sigged so damn hard.

I think I can answer this in the affirmative, because it's already happening to me. Fucking smartphones. When I was your age, we had one phone, it was tethered to the wall, and it had a little round disc with holes for your fingers and you had to wind it up to dial. And that was the way we LIKED it! Built character! And finger strength!

We had three channels on TV. Then we got a UHF antenna and got a whopping two more. Now there are.....Christ, I don't even know how many. My local digital cable listing goes up to at least 650.

First computer I ever used was an Apple ][. My daughter is about to go to kindergarten, and she has a kids' digital camera that has orders of magnitude more memory and a faster processor. HER FUCKING TOY CAMERA HAS A COMPUTER IN IT.

I could have my dog genetically sequenced and cloned if I felt like spending the money on it. You know what we did back in my day? We went and got another goddamn dog, that's what!

And yet I still don't have a personal jetpack, flying car, robot buddy sidekick or vacations on the Moon. You lied to me, future!  :'(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:09:14 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I've given up on the jetpack. Any sort of flight that doesn't have me inside a vehicle magnitudes larger than my person is good enough for me. I want to fly around town someday, and if it has to be super powered magnets or something, so be it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Brotip: use more magnets for faster flight.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

It depends. I'm 16, but the rate of technological change,  specifically in the technology's which seem to have the focus worry's me. As Kaleb702 Games said, anything can be hacked, and privacy is already disappearing fast enough as it is. Of course we couldn't have vacations on the moon. No, it had to be bloody facial recognition technology being used by governments in cctv's, at least according to this http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/15/new-totalitarianism-surveillance-technology, which further worry's me in how easily i can believe that. As for the questions; i wouldn't care about any of the relationship stuff, though personally i would go for someone who was mentally female rather then simply physically, and in a female body.

You know, another thing that worries me today is how little many of us know about how things actually work. In the old days, you could with some difficulty and application have a grasp on everything you used, more or less. Now, I'd be buggered to tell you how my computer works in more then slightly better then vague detail, and that's before you get to some of the truly complicated stuff. My generation often considers itself more tech savvy then others, something i also fall prey too, but in comparison to how much people knew about the workings of their tools in the past we can't compare. A problem we suffer from today is that it's so rare to have a fleshed out understanding of many sciences and arts in detail, such as Da Vinci and his peers in the past. It's unavoidable to some degree, but still a worry.

As for how technology will actually change in our, or at least my lifetime... not much for the next years or so, at least, and probably not by incredible leaps and bounds by the next 7,8, 10 after that. Robots with any degree of AI, are a long ways of, though space travel may go forward a good bit, especially if we find life in our solar system. There's going to be an endless stream of gadgets for a certainty, and probably those augmented reality glasses are going to come around. Still, it's anyone guess.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just something about the "spore reproduction" topic.
I think that its unlikely that intelligent species will reproduce using spores, as that really limits your natural selection (i think).

Ofcourse, that doesnt mean that other intelligent species dont have 4 different genders.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21