Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Will the old people of the future be as technophobic as the old people now?  (Read 43128 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

A question i had in my head.
I'm just going to guess that you all know that old people and new technology dont combine. At all.
The thing is, will the same be true for us when we are 70 years old?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uhm... Not all old people are necessarily "technophobic". ??? Of course, if it's something they didn't have growing up and they've never been taught how to use it, then yes, they won't have a clue about technology.

That doesn't mean they don't see it as a good thing. Also, a lot of the time their lack of ability with various gadgets could stem from deteriorating motor control or hand/eye coordination. It probably won't be much different for us. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile

I think the question how is stated is done poorly.

I think a better question would be; 'Will the old people of the future be as hesitant to keeping up with technology as some seem to now?'

Or something along those lines. I dont think its that old folks are actually afraid of technology, I think its more a case that at a certain point it no longer becomes important to them to keep up with the technological growth so you let things slide. Like, I can see myself no longer caring for the hotness in video games, because I wont be able to play it as well, or I'll be embittered as some gamers are now toward the industry or myriad of other reasons.

Old folks no aways are all the different from what they were in the past. You eventually get set in your ways and grow used to certain stuff. Being 26, I can see some of it already. Like my Ipod Nano, is the fuckin shit, 6th generation. Black. Fuck the new smaller ipod nano.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

It's not really technophobic. More like resistance to chance, which in this case is the advancement of digital technology.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

It's not hesitation or "resistance to change". It's inability. As we grow older we loose the ability to learn, and when we become really old it has become really hard to get to know new technology. And yes, it will happen to every single one of us. Also your way of dressing will look completely ridiculous.
Love, scriver~

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

will the same be true for us when we are 70 years old?

That depends. How flexible is your worldview? Somebody 70 years old grew up knowing that the human race was incapable of space flight. Grew up knowing that to communicate with someone you sent a letter and waited for a reponse, because there wsa no internet and they probably didn't have a telephone in their home. Grew up knowing that cooking meant boiling water on a stove because microwave ovens weren't avialable. Grew up thinking of playing ball outside as "fun" because things like video games hadn't been invented yet.

Technology changed many of their basic "truths" about what was possible and how things were done. So...

* Will you be comfortable having brain implants to allow you "telepathic" communcation with the devices in your home?
 * Will you be comfortable when primitive things like email and cellphones have been replaced with real-time global telepathy?
 * Will you be comfortable when your son or daughter wants to marry an alien? Or a robot? Or a non-human genetic construct?
 * Will you be comfortable having friends invite you to neighboring solar systems for lunch?
 * Will you be comfortable having your physical body destroyed and your consciousness uploaded into a machine? Will you be comfortable interacting with others who have done so?
 * Will you be comfortable having sex with people who were the opposite gender of a different species a few hours ago and simply had a new body constructed to wear for the night?

Technology might make all these things possible. And these are just a few things we can easily conceive of. Will you be comfortable if and when your daily 'truths' are so far removed from your current life that we can't even conceive of them?

How well will you adapt?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

* Will you be comfortable having brain implants to allow you "telepathic" communcation with the devices in your home?
Woah, singularity. AWESOME.
* Will you be comfortable when primitive things like email and cellphones have been replaced with real-time global telepathy?
Woah, telepathy. AWESOME.
* Will you be comfortable when your son or daughter wants to marry an alien?
Woah, space sex. AWESOME.
Or a robot?
Woah, robot sex. AWESOME.
Or a non-human genetic construct?
Woah, Japan? AWESOME.
* Will you be comfortable having friends invite you to neighboring solar systems for lunch?
Woah, intergalactic spehss lunch? AWESOME.
* Will you be comfortable having your physical body destroyed and your consciousness uploaded into a machine? Will you be comfortable interacting with others who have done so?
DESTROY ALL HUMANS
* Will you be comfortable having sex with people who were the opposite gender of a different species a few hours ago and simply had a new body constructed to wear for the night?
Eh, better uses for stuff like that. Like ocean exploring! Become best bros with Lovecraftian beings, at least you'll already be insane.

I think as long as I don't go stark raving mad the future should be terrible.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If the future becomes a huge telepathic inter-species alien robot orgy, then I'll stick to being a senile old man who still plays Dwarf Fortress.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I'm totally cool with the alien orgies, myself.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

I'm totally cool with the alien orgies, myself.

Sigh. To the OOC quotes thread.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

If the future becomes a huge telepathic inter-species alien robot orgy, then I'll stick to being a senile old man who still plays Dwarf Fortress.
You misunderstand post-singularity! In that future, there's no need to choose between those two. You can be an orgy-jiji who plays Dwarf Fortress as you roll six species-changing extraterrestrial sexbots in like, seven different physical locations. At the same time.

Computer enhanced personal multitasking and semi-autonomous consciousness recepticles is going to be great.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend

You damn kids and your multi-dimensional hyper-virtual communications arrays!  Get your trans-genic asses off my self-sustaining eco lawn!
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

@Title

Depends. Will the RIAA/MPAA still have no clue about how the internet works by then? Because as far as I've seen its less technophobic (except in the above case) and more annoyingly obnoxious that they do indeed have no idea how their computer/OS/browser works and that you need to fix it anyway.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uhm... Not all old people are necessarily "technophobic". ??? Of course, if it's something they didn't have growing up and they've never been taught how to use it, then yes, they won't have a clue about technology.

That doesn't mean they don't see it as a good thing. Also, a lot of the time their lack of ability with various gadgets could stem from deteriorating motor control or hand/eye coordination. It probably won't be much different for us. :P

This. My 80 year old Grandpa loves computers. He puts them together all the time and was one of the pioneers in computer technology when they began to shift from warehouses to smaller and smaller things.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lordbucket's questions:

No. I prefer physical interaction with devices, and I'd be really hesitant to install any sort of BCU into my body.

Maybe. So long as there's still a market for technological anachronists.

* Will you be comfortable when your son or daughter wants to marry an alien? Or a robot? Or a non-human genetic construct?
I'mma be a bit of a Xenophobe if we ever make contact, I think.

So long as space transport works for that, yeah.

When I'm old and I've had my fun, yeah. So long as it's not merged with everyone else's and I'm still my own man/brain/SAI/thing.

* Will you be comfortable having sex with people who were the opposite gender of a different species a few hours ago and simply had a new body constructed to wear for the night.
Ehh.... That's a bit too squicky for me, thanks.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21