Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 57

Author Topic: D20 Modern: After the end. Accepting players!  (Read 54045 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: D20 Modern: After the end.
« Reply #720 on: October 29, 2012, 09:30:43 pm »

Troy nodded and took Kat's things.

"I hope you know what you're doing."

After that quick statement, he quickly jogged off the road, putting Kat's things in the scrub and quickly looking for a decent place to snipe from.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: October 29, 2012, 09:32:37 pm »

((I'm going by the assumption that only the person with the lowest stealth needs to roll in this situation, which would be Rain.  Rain rolls 16+3+5=19 (+5 circumstances modifier due to them being a bit far away and distracted) against the gang's roll of 10+6=16 to spot.  So the party remains hidden.))

The gang of humans spots Kat just before she starts playing.  One of them shouts out "Hey you there... what the heck you doin'?", interrupted halfway by the start of Kat's song.  They're reactions are mixed and confused.  A couple stop and turn to each other, a couple others break out into a jog and hurry over.  The others follow them in a disorganized fashion.  This crew is anything but organized.

A couple of teenagers are the first ones to reach Kat.  One of them waves her machete back and forth wildly as if trying to impress Kat with the randomness of her actions.  "Hey you crazy little girl, you got a death wish or something?" the girl looks younger and smaller the Kat but that doesn't slow her a bit.  "Little girls like you should watch where they go wandering.  This is 77 territory and you ain't one of us.  So I think I'm just gonna start cutting on you until I've had enough and then we start talking..."  The girl suddenly shoves her machete right in front of Kat's face.
"Down Lil Tee!  Down!"  The girls threat is interrupted by a sudden smack to the back of the head and then she is shoved away from Kat. "You crazy little bitch, always sniffing everything we see!"  The rest of the gang has caught up and one of the larger guys seems to be in command now.  The others seem amused by her aggressive greeting.  One of the guys gets right in her face and starts doing dog barks at her.  The gang laughs while she turns red and yells at them to stop.
The guy who got Lil Tee to back down struts his stuff in front of Kat and greets her on behalf of Kat.  "Hey there pretty little girlie.  What's a fine little thing like you going round here?  You looking for someone?  'Cause I think you just found him.  Names Big Tee and I got what you lookin' for."  Big Tee grabs his balls and gives a double hip thrust in what's probably not the local sign for high.

With the crew closer and milling about, Kat's friends have an easier time sessing their combat readiness.  They seem pretty mixed.  Three of the smaller ones carry nothing but melee weapons and have no armor.  These three are all three still pretty young.  There is a smattering of firearms among the others.  You spot a couple rifles and numerous handguns.  Two of them really stand out as the fighters.  Both are decked out in metal armor (the only armor wearers besides Big Tee) and are carrying heavy weapons.  One is a large tattoo'd woman in a punk haircut and painted red armor.  She carries a rocket launcher on her back and scans the surroundings as the other gang members are busy paying attention to Kat.  The other guy is a massive tan guy with a shaved body and not a mark on his body.  He bulges with muscle and carries a M60 machine gun on his shoulder like it weighs nothing.  He moves slowly and is the last one to catch up with Kat who he stares at calmly and unemotionally.

Earlier: back at the campsite...

Kat put a hand on Rains shoulder.

"You know I'm here, Rain. So whats really eating at you? Recently, you've been...distant. I know we haven't been keen to talk about it, but...maybe we should, you know?"

Rain turned away and brushed the band off her shoulder then turned back, appologetically.  "I'm sorry Kat it's just we're heading south again.  I didn't think it would matter but I keep feeling guilty.  Back in Badwater, I... I was... well married.  And, well, I'm not anymore.  So yeah.  And instead of getting even I just ran the fuck away and did nothing at all.  I'll get better eventually.  I'll just be glad when we aren't heading towards Badwater anymore."

Rain looked up again and stared at the family.  "Well... at least there's some happiness left in the world."  Her bitterness was fading a little at least.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:57:28 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: October 29, 2012, 10:15:39 pm »

((Ooooohh... I just knew stopping to talk to these guys was a bad idea... They are really heavily armed, for a start...

How many are there exactly? Any other weapons that stand out?))

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #723 on: October 29, 2012, 10:21:46 pm »

((A rocket launcher.))

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: October 29, 2012, 10:26:59 pm »

((Ooooohh... I just knew stopping to talk to these guys was a bad idea... They are really heavily armed, for a start...

How many are there exactly? Any other weapons that stand out?))

There are eight members of the gang.  The biggest weapons besides the launcher and machine gun are the rifles.  You can't actually see what weapons, if any Big Tee carries.  Big Tee and the heavy weapons carriers are the only ones in armor.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: October 29, 2012, 10:28:25 pm »

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 29, 2012, 10:48:29 pm »

((Damnit to hell. If I knew stealth would go so well, I'd rather have put Kat under my arm and hid with the rest of the group. If worst comes to worst, we can attack from stealth and get them flatfooted. Bonus round, maybe?))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 29, 2012, 10:54:49 pm »

((Yeah, they'd all be flatfooted if you opened fire.  They are pretty darn unsuspecting.))
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 29, 2012, 11:01:55 pm »

((Not to mention that if we manage to live through killing the majority/all of them, we would be rich as hell. But I seriously dout that we would survive, not with all that firepower and being outnumbered.

Let's hope Kat can talk her way out...))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 29, 2012, 11:11:11 pm »

((Not to mention that if we manage to live through killing the majority/all of them, we would be rich as hell. But I seriously dout that we would survive, not with all that firepower and being outnumbered.))
((If we took down the biggest/better-armed ones, we'd probably scare the rest.))
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: October 30, 2012, 06:19:50 am »

((If they're this well armed, attacking them would literally be suicide, unless they carry unloaded guns for intimidation purposes (lol). You guys know all I have is +1 leather armor and a 2d4 pistol, right? :P ))

Kat nodded, smiling right back.

She plucked her guitar experimentally (it kept everyone's attention on her and hushed the chattering), then spoke in a conversational tone. Cold as ice-couldn't show any fear.

Though she was feeling it.

"...Well, not looking for anyone specifically. And I don't see anyone here who particularly impresses me. Especially not you 'Big-T'. I'm still wondering where the Big part of your name comes from...you got a big chip on your shoulder, maybe?" She said smiling, in a challenging tone, seeing how he would react. But she didn't wait for him to bluster and boast, instead turning to the pink haired girl who had been embarrassed earlier without pause. Tactfully insulting, without letting another word in edgewise. That should defuse him a bit.

"And what you asked earlier. I am a bit crazy to be here-I got to be the bait for the rest of my group. You know how that goes, I think." Kat said to her, fishing for mutual sympathy-doubtful, but she would take it.

Then she addressed the group as a whole before they could absorb the information-seeing who would step back, and who would step up.

"Now, can I talk to the person whose really in charge here?"

It was a calculated risk, assuming that. But so was life. Kat didn't think the two dopes who waved their weapons in her face were anything like leadership material.

---------------------------------------------
Rain turned away and brushed the band off her shoulder then turned back, appologetically.  "I'm sorry Kat it's just we're heading south again.  I didn't think it would matter but I keep feeling guilty.  Back in Badwater, I... I was... well married.  And, well, I'm not anymore.  So yeah.  And instead of getting even I just ran the fuck away and did nothing at all.  I'll get better eventually.  I'll just be glad when we aren't heading towards Badwater anymore."

Rain looked up again and stared at the family.  "Well... at least there's some happiness left in the world."  Her bitterness was fading a little at least.

Kat sighed.

"Rain...I'm sorry. I didn't know.  It's...I know what it's like to lose people. You feel like you should have died with them...but you didn't. And you feel terrible about it. But you're still alive.

So, why don't you tell me about him, if you like. The good parts. Who loved Rain Forester as much as I do?"
She asked.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 06:27:58 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: October 30, 2012, 09:34:20 am »

((@Dwarmin: I have a 2d8 pistol for any possible potshots and if we charge into melee, their weaponry is severely hindered. But yeah, I think our chances still do not look so good. Of course, our init rolls could also give us a slight edge on top of the flatfooted enemies.))

Ethan watched - and listened as well as he could from his hiding spot - the situation with narrow eyes, only doing it if he wouldn't be caught. Hiding hadn't been much of a problem, which was a relief.

The gang, on the other side, was better-armed than they expected...The young man turned to the group and started to make gestures to communicate silently.
If we get to the point of combat, take some potshots if possible, but charge into melee against the ones with heavy weapons as soon as possible afterwards. Their big guns ain't worth much if knock their faces.

If you don't have enough time to take a shot just engage in melee and hope their guns and guts are just for show.

He hoped it wouldn't get to that point, but still...They wouldn't let Kat die.

((Can I get a Spot check to see if their machine guns have magazines or drums attached without revealing my position?))
>Yes?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 30, 2012, 12:24:35 pm »

((Can I get a Spot check to see if their machine guns have magazines or drums attached without revealing my position?))

((Spot check of 6+1=7 against a DC of 5+5=10 (+5 due to distance) means you don't get a good enough view.))

"...Well, not looking for anyone specifically. And I don't see anyone here who particularly impresses me. Especially not you 'Big-T'.  I'm still wondering where the Big part of your name comes from...you got a big chip on your shoulder, maybe?"

Kat gets a few laughs at that.  Big Tee turns around to give an challenging look at the guys who laugh and shut them up which gives Kat a little time to notice the reactions of the group.  The heavy muscle, the ones with the rocket launcher and the machine gun didn't have any reaction.  They seem pretty bored by this whole conversation.  The voice on muscle guy's face practically speaks to Kat "Oh hey, Big Tee is chasing poon again.  There's something new." which is pretty odd as his expression would be blank to most people.

Big Tee turns back and opens his mouth "I'll show you what's-" but gets cut off by Kat speaking over him.

"And what you asked earlier. I am a bit crazy to be here-I got to be the bait for the rest of my group. You know how that goes, I think." Kat said to her, fishing for mutual sympathy-doubtful, but she would take it.

Most of the crew freaks out at this announcement.  The machete wielders whirl like dervishes, looking every which way.  The guys with the guns grab their pieces and look around but not in quite a panic.  Muscle guy unslings his weapon and gives a lazy look from side to side before releasing the safety and waiting for whatever comes next.  Rocket girl just keeps scanning the surroundings in the exact same way as before but gives a snide retort.  "Oh an ambush!  Nice fucking work, Big Tee!"

Then she addressed the group as a whole before they could absorb the information-seeing who would step back, and who would step up.

"Now, can I talk to the person whose really in charge here?"

It was a calculated risk, assuming that. But so was life. Kat didn't think the two dopes who waved their weapons in her face were anything like leadership material.

((Sense motive roll of 15+7=22))

Kat probably would have expected one of the two toughs to react to the question about leadership but they don't.  Apparently that's a question that they don't care much about.  The two more average guys though, the ones carrying guns not melee weapons, they seem a lot more interested.  One of them gives a smirk and looks at Kat in a new light.  He seems to like the question.  The other just gets nervous, this is a subject he doesn't want brought up again.

Big Tee on the other hand gets pretty pissed off that anybody cant immediately identify the brilliance of his leadership.  He reaches into his baggy pants and whips out a massive six shooter which he levels at Rain.  "I'm the one in charge here, little girl.  And I'm gettin' tired of you trying to piss me off.  Now you tell me, what the hell are you doin' wandering into my territory?"  Insecure and pissed off, Big Tee was not a person currently in a happy or safe state of mind.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 30, 2012, 01:08:06 pm »

((@GM: Wouldn't the distance problem be solved by the binoculars?

Also, does Kat talking about an ambush effectively take part of our edge in an attack?))
>Yes?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: October 30, 2012, 01:10:18 pm »

Kat looked into the barrel without flinching.

"Sure.

To be honest, we're just passing through-we've got business in your town. Otherwise we wouldn't have bothered with this song and dance. Not looking for a fight, here, but if you spotted one of mine without proper introductions, then we'd have to fight it out anyway-so they threw me to the wolves, so to speak, in the hopes of avoiding that. You can level me if you like, but then they'll take you and yours down. Nobody wins then.

All we want is to move on, do our business, and leave.

I don't think you and yours looking for a fight either-at least not one you don't know the odds of winning or losing. People in our line of work don't get very far taking uncalculated risks, do they?

I assure you the odds are against you here. Don't think you're not zeroed in, friend-pull that trigger, you might as well pull the trigger on yourself. So, what are you going to do, Big-T?"

Kat looked him in the eye. Time to see who would blink first.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 57