Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 57

Author Topic: D20 Modern: After the end. Accepting players!  (Read 54187 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: D20 Modern: After the end.
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2012, 09:24:58 pm »

Alright, I thought of a nice starting city in Ohio. If the Gm doesn't mind me doing his job, sort of. :P

Johnson's Island
What was a minor historical landmark before the End-the sight of a Civil War Era prison-it became a makeshift home for people fleeing over Lake Erie from the mainland.

As the decades rolled by, The Island's population grew-and while it never thrived, it was never invaded, mostly to the length the inhabitants went to hide themselves from the roving gangs of marauders-they collapsed the causeway into the bay not 50 years ago.

Cue modern day. Johnsons Island is well fortified, populated and a rest stop and haven for anyone who has enough pull with the somewhat strict City Council to be let past the straits without being blown out of the water by a fleet of ramshackle patrol crafts-which range from tiny fishing ships, houseboats and even a fully stocked US Navy Corvette-, formerly the 'USS Freedom'-now the 'Johnsons Pride'.

The actual living population is kept strictly low. Few travelers are allowed to stay past their welcome (and the local constabulary is notoriously impatient with troublemakers), but for it, the island is a bonanza for traders and scavengers-and there are amusements to be had, some of the best left, if you can convince, steal or bribe your way to them. Still, most people get the message. Do your business-and get out.

All in all, a small spot of civilization in the wasteland-one that's remained safe, for now at least.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2012, 09:36:37 pm »

Nice town.  Might I suggest that there could be a trading post on the mainland that's the main point of contact with the outside world?  Most travelers are going to be overland so the trading post would exist to serve them.  They keep all their stocks on barges so if trouble comes up them just unmoor and head to the town for safety.  The town council would encourage this trading post as a way of keeping out undesirables.  Even the river traffic would be directed towards the trading post since it has the docks established and it's more welcoming of outsiders.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2012, 09:55:47 pm »

That sounds good to me. I still think some people-like our heroes-might be able to find some temporary sanctuary on the island, maybe after we do some quests for them...of course, in this future, any safety is fleeting. :P

We'll see what Wrex thinks about it.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2012, 09:59:32 pm »

So, Wrex, could you perhaps waive the requirements for Weapon Finesse? >.> It needs a BAB of +1 or higher, and I have a BAB of +0 at level 1, but gain it at level 2. <.<

If not, oh well.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2012, 09:59:59 pm »

I also want to know the difficulty of finding vehicles. The good kind too.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2012, 10:37:40 pm »

@Wrex: Do you mind if I take some mental mutations my character isn't consciously aware of at the start of the game?

I was thinking Drawback/Mindslave=Benefit/Minor Psionic Talent:Detect Thoughts.

Essentially, it might explain some of Kats ability to influence people-she's quite literally super empathetic toward peoples feelings, and more vulnerable to psychic attack because of it.

Detect Thoughts, I would let you use that at GM's Decree-somewhat randomly when it might be helpful or just odd-rather than me ruining the plot all the time. :P

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2012, 10:56:34 pm »

I wonder if it's possible to have Rain start with a supply of mechanical and electrical parts.  I didn't see a TU cost for them in the book.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2012, 11:31:01 pm »

I wonder if it's possible to have Rain start with a supply of mechanical and electrical parts.  I didn't see a TU cost for them in the book.

Parts, and chemical components (which I made up so you can make meds and chems) are 1 TU, and weigh 1 lb each.

@Dwarmin: Sure, no problem.

@Caellath: What do you mean by good vehicle?  Any vehicle can be powerful if you are willing to modify it.  You could probably buy a car from the proceeds of whatever you choose to do. Otherwise, it could be possible to fix up a wreck of a car. Gas is an issue, since real gas gives better performance than ethanol.

@Skyrunner: Sure thing, I always thought that was a stupid rule.

EDIT: The max tech level is PL 6. Advanced medicines and other tech still exists, but when a phial of sporekill is 27-35 TU, Most people can't afford it. Also, the (X) Plus feats from D20 future are absolutely insane and I can almost guarantee it will make a character better.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 11:38:05 pm by Wrex »

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2012, 12:54:15 am »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:20:25 am by Zako »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2012, 12:57:29 am »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 01:03:17 am by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2012, 07:20:08 am »

Finished! Also, the current team of four we have right now is PERFECT in my books! 1 tank, 1 sneaky person, 1 skill based dude and 1 social person. Awesome!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2012, 08:32:40 am »

Finished! Also, the current team of four we have right now is PERFECT in my books! 1 tank, 1 sneaky person, 1 skill based dude and 1 social person. Awesome!
We are also waiting on Sky's sheet. I actually think she finished before you and me (we were in IRC, trying to build the sheets), but forgot to post.
>Yes?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2012, 08:55:11 am »

I gotta ask, seeing as this is a modern-ish/future setting... How the heck do you 'tank' bullets?  ???
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2012, 09:55:06 am »

I gotta ask, seeing as this is a modern-ish/future setting... How the heck do you 'tank' bullets?  ???
Proper guns are usually rare (or more especifically, ammo for them, I guess).

And for tanking, without appropriate bodyarmor and at lower levels, it seems that if you are hit squarely (meaning good damage rolls) you valiantly fall and start dying.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:59:44 am by Caellath »
>Yes?

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2012, 10:42:55 am »

By tank, I mean he's tougher than the rest of us and also has a shield. We're gonna have to go looking for some kind of protection soon if we are gonna last.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 57