Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 57

Author Topic: D20 Modern: After the end. Accepting players!  (Read 54042 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: D20 Modern: After the end.
« Reply #705 on: October 28, 2012, 04:38:22 pm »

Kat looked around, gathering silent consent.

"That we are."

Not long after, she hurried after Rain-making sure she had the pistol on her leg.

"Rain! Rain! You shouldn't be out here alone..." She said, hurrying to catch up with her.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: October 28, 2012, 04:48:10 pm »

Kat finds Rain sitting in the darkness a bit away from the fire of some other caravaners.  Rain sits alone, staring at the small group enjoying each other's company.  Or rather, small family, evidently they are one of the caravan families that make their living on the road, children and all.  Rain doesn't even seem to notice her only friends approach, or at least doesn't acknowledge it.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: October 28, 2012, 05:03:37 pm »

Kat winced as she approached Rain, as another wave of mental pain washed over her. Pain. Sadness. Anger. She ignored it, sitting down by Rain.

She didn't know what to say-for once-so she just watched the family along with her, keeping quiet and still. If Rain was going to talk, she would. If not, Kat would be here for her only friend, all the same.

Watching the small family was proof, to Kat at least, that the world was slowly mending. She had long wondered if it ever would-if the casual violence that had become so commonplace would ever stop, and how hard it would be to take that next step, how bloody a path was before them...but this little family, right here, right now-they were...Hope. Distilled. Hope like theirs was something that could light beacons from coast to coast. What if there was more? A thousand, a million-each of them using that hope to forge a new future...

She just wished she knew how to express her feelings in words...or song. Then...then, she could change things.

Maybe Kat could make a song that would heal Rain, and make her smile forever.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: October 28, 2012, 05:18:07 pm »

It wasn't until Kat sat down that Rain first reacted and only then by bundling herself up tighter, in the process maybe unconsciously shying away from the new presence.  Rain didn't want to talk, she didn't want to listen, she didn't want anything or to be stuck out here with the caravan in the middle of nowhere.  But there was nowhere to go so she just stayed there depressed, lonely, angry and alone.  Well, not alone at least.

She was transfixed by the sight of these strangers and all the horrible things they reminded her about the world.  Good people came into it just trying to take care of each other but at any moment that could be stripped away from them in a heartbeat.  The world was full of wolves just waiting to creep up on that little circle of firelight and devour everything that was good and wholesome.  And Rain... all Rain could do was sit and watch, powerless.  It made her feel so weary just looking at them...

Rain didn't even notice the tears until they welled up in her eyes and she had to brush them away.  She felt like it was necessary to say something to Kat at this point.  "Hey Kat, uh, thanks for coming after me, here."

---------------------------------

((Not gonna wait for this conversation to end to post the start of the next adventure.  We can run parallel timelines!  We're basically timelords people!))

Morning comes and with it a slightly sunnier daybreak.  Having previously dampened the caravan the weather now decides to chill them.  The temperature drops unexpectedly and a harsh wind blows.  The wind chill bites harder then the cold and nothing is left to do but try and shield your face from the sting.  At least the rain stays light and acid free.

The caravan continues south and hills give way to the foothills of mountains as the rain finally mercifully stops, leaving just the mournful sound of the wind blowing through the crags.  It's an unnerving sound to the newcomers but to the caravan regulars it's a welcome noise, they're homeward bound.

The travels continue until the caravan comes to the small town of Lockhart hidden away in the Appalacian mountains.  The caravan draws up to a fortified wall that bristles with rifles, crossbows, even a catapult.  A voice calls out, greeting the caravan master as "Billy!" but the guns stay trained until the caravan master gives the pass phrase "A wonderful bird is the pelican."  The caravan is let in for the night.

As the caravan makes camp in Lockhart, the caravan master approaches his fellow travelers.  "In the morning, we part ways, friends.  Head west of here and you'll find the road to Three Corners.  I'm taking the caravan on a short trip south and then coming back here.  We will return in four days and leave again in the morning.  If you make it back we can press onwards to New Langley together.  Miss the deadline... and my heart bleeds for you."

Come morning the mutants directions prove to be reliable.  The group heads west from Lockhart and quickly comes across a small backroad with a roadsign.  The original paint is long since worn away but somebody has spray painted new directions on it "<- Three Corners."  The small country road gives way to the remains of a paved single lane highway which has more road signs.  The road broadens again into a two lane highway but Troy brings the group to a stop.  Up ahead he sees other people.  The binoculars come out for a better look at the group.

There seem to be eight of them, they all look to be human.  They are dressed in a variety of tattered drab clothing that looks pretty commonplace to you.  You spot a few guns among them and some of them appear to be carrying road signs, fashioned into some sort of shield.  It seems that they are still unawares.  They are about 200 yards away, on the two lane highway in front of you.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:50:22 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: October 28, 2012, 06:13:01 pm »

Ethan grunted, also looking through his binoculars. "I guess we approach carefully and sweet-talk this group." he said, staring at Kat.

He stares at his gun and at the longsword - which he throughly cleaned and is thinking about naming - and sighs.
"I wouldn't want to resort to the 'sneak and shoot' strategy right in the beginning, and according to the caravan master, they appear to be more suspicious of mutants."
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: October 28, 2012, 10:03:14 pm »

Troy shook his head, still looking at the group through his binoculars.

"They are gangers, to be sure. I say we don't take the chance and hide until they go past, or hide and ambush them if we want to fight them. They have guns, so if we fight, we need to watch ourselves."

Troy glanced at the group before going back to looking at the group of strangers.

"I suggest we choose quickly, before they see us and have the choice taken away from us."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: October 28, 2012, 10:07:22 pm »

"We start fighting now and there's probably gonna be a lot of fighting ahead of us.  We can't shy from a fight but we need to be careful not to start one we don't need."
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: October 28, 2012, 10:35:30 pm »

"That's my point." Ethan said. "We should avoid conflict for the moment because we still have a lot ahead of us. Hiding is a sound option, although we may be lacking a good place to hide." the young man completed, looking at the sides of the highway.

He calmly adjusts the black cowboy hat on his head and nods towards the approaching group. "From what 'Billy' said, they tend to be more hostile towards mutants. We can either take our chances and use Miss Silvertongue's abilities or just hide...If they find us hiding, then we'll be looking as guilty as one can be."
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: October 29, 2012, 10:29:14 am »

Heads up, if I disappear in the next day or so it's because Hurricane Sandy took out my internet.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: October 29, 2012, 11:05:35 am »

((Sorry for not posting, distracted..

Are they actually moving toward us, and how fast? You didn't exactly say.

Also, is there any cover on the sides of the road-trees, grass, etc?

Also, in related news, Sandy already passed Florida and decided not to do too much damage-I guess she had a sweetspot for us.. She's saving her strength for you guys up North. :X ))
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:07:22 am by Dwarmin »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: October 29, 2012, 11:28:36 am »

The other humans are walking towards you but slowly, in a sort of milling about fashion as they talk with each other.

There one way highway you are on is broken up and you could hide among the rubble and whatnot but the two lane highway doesn't have as much in the way of hiding places.  If you get off the highway a bit you could get towards some scrub and lower ground.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: October 29, 2012, 12:31:42 pm »

Kat put a hand on Rains shoulder.

"You know I'm here, Rain. So whats really eating at you? Recently, you've been...distant. I know we haven't been keen to talk about it, but...maybe we should, you know?"

-----------------
On the road

Kat put a hand to her chin.

"Why don't you lot hide in the grass, while I talk with them-they're less likely to shoot if it's only little old me." Kat said, not entirely sure. Putting herself up as a target was a dangerous thing to do. On the other hand, there were a lot of chances for both sides to commit to a battle neither of them wanted...

Kat supposed being a Diplomat meant putting yourself in harms way. If they could get away without a fight, though, she would take it.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: October 29, 2012, 04:11:34 pm »

The gang keeps approaching...And Kat talks, ever the smart girl.

"Sounds reasonable." Ethan says before walking towards the grass and preparing if she happens to need help, mindful his size won't help him much during a stealth attempt.

Hide nearby.

((Dunno if I should roll for stealth, so...))
>Yes?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: October 29, 2012, 05:16:24 pm »

Kat watched her friends hide.

She handed most of her equipment to Troy, except for her pistol, and a single can of food.

"If I get robbed, I'll at least not let them take everything. If I say the words 'looks like Rain', get ready for trouble.." Kat said, spotting a few scudding clouds on the horizon.

Afterwards, she sat down by the side of the road.

And began to play her guitar.

This should be an interesting start to negotiations.

((@Caellath: You should, I guess? You should get some sort of bonus from the cover and my distraction.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: October 29, 2012, 07:25:34 pm »

Ethan nodded to Kat and started to half-prod, half-drag absent-minded Paprika (and the rest of the group if necessary) into hiding. "Let's go, before we get Kat in trouble...Let's just hope my size doesn't play against me. Again."

And being bulky really had gotten him in trouble before. Aside from being a bigger target and slightly clumsier when trying to move stealthily, he had already been invited to gangs and bad things obviously happened when they reacted poorly to his negative answers. Easy to figure out why a good part of his body was riddled with scars.

((I'd rather wait for the GM's opinion, and mainiac can roll for all of us to keep the game going if the other players don't post.))
>Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 57