Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 57

Author Topic: D20 Modern: After the end. Accepting players!  (Read 54051 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: D20 Modern: After the end.
« Reply #660 on: October 26, 2012, 08:57:48 am »

Troy nods thoughtfully and then places a number of things on the desk.

"Ok, here's what I'd like to get..."

Selling:
4 throwing knives (12 TU)
1 flashlight (flood) (2 TU)
10 9mm bullets (10 TU)

Buying:
1 Mesh Vest (3 TU)
1 holster (2 TU)
Binoculars (2 TU)
Compass (2 TU)
Winter leggings and boots (3 TU?)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: October 26, 2012, 08:58:36 am »

Double post syndrome! :'(

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: October 26, 2012, 09:22:08 am »

Kat finalized the deal with her friends, and went to work...

Kat is Offering...(In order of priorty)
Backpack (3 TU)
Winter coat (3 TU)
10xClip of 50. Cal bullets  ((40 TU))
29x9mm bullets (29 TU)
4xthrowing knives ((16 TU))
1 flashlight (flood) ((2 TU))
6xCheer Food ((24 TU))

[[Sum Total:117]]

Kat is looking to buy... (In order of importance)
5xpairs Winter leggings and boots (10 TU)
8x357 Shells (8 TU)
5x22. Shells (5 TU)
5xCrossbow Bolts (5 TU)
4xRazor Discs (4 TU)
3xMolotovs (3 TU)
3xBuckshot shells (6TU)
2xMesh Vests      (6 TU)
Refill gunpowder 4x357. slugs (4TU?)
Speedloader/Revolver (1TU)
2xHolsters (4TU)
Binoculars (2 TU)
Compass (2 TU)
Concealed Carry Holster for a Tiny Weapon (2 TU)
Medium Weapon Scope (4 TU)

[[Sum Total:66]]

"Let's make a deal." Kat says with a warm smile, launching into a practiced sales pitch-her cadence smooth and beguiling, like any great orator. It's at this point she comes alive-wheeling, dealing, bullshitting, complimenting, nitpicking, giving slack-all designed to bring her intended target over to her way of thinking.

Friendly trading was friendly, sure-but Kat intended to get the better deal here, without leaving Mr. Mutant feeling ripped off-it was a tricky balance one had to strike between self sufficiency, and honesty. Making both sides happy...while still coming out the winner.

All's fair in business and war, after all.

Barter Roll
1d20+13 → [15,13] = (28)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3751579/

((My sheet only has 10 diplo, but I get +3 from Shrewd Bargainer feat, btw. Add another +2 if my Charm against Males works on this guy.))
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 09:41:13 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: October 26, 2012, 09:43:51 am »

((You're gonna bargin the shit out of him!))

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: October 26, 2012, 03:49:34 pm »

The negotiations between Kat and the blind caravan master start off casually enough.  He guides her through his wares and they manage to find most of the items that she seeks.  Having pretty much figured out what she wants he opens with a highball offer and gets a laugh in response.  Then the negotiations begin for real.  The mutant starts wising up on the fact that Kat is no pushover and they start really getting down to nuts and bolts.  The two of them appear to relish the challenge of a worthy opponent are both begin spinning masterful narratives about the other's goods, even getting down to the point of pointing out tiny flaws in the fittings of the items.

The bartering drags onwards and the guards start getting little impatient.  One of them points out that the caravan is supposed to be loading to which the master shouts back "Then load!" before turning back to Kat and making a dismissive comment about about the wattage of the flashlight Kat was offering.  The caravaners start loading and the two keep arguing.

Finally the goods are all loaded and Kat and the Mutant have settled on a score.  They've gotten all the items she requested (including a 9mm pistol for Rain and some parts for her to fabricate a couple suppressors with) and in exchange Kat gave up the backback, the excess clothing, the .50 caliber ammo (but not the 9mm), the knives and the honey.  The mutant crosses his arms, satisfied but clearly very impressed.  "You push a tough bargain, girl.  One of the shrewdest I've seen in a long while I'd say.  How come someone like you isn't working for one of the caravans?"

"We're good to go, Skip!" interjects one of the caravaners.  "Okay, let's move out then.  I suppose my friend here can answer my question on the road."
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 26, 2012, 04:01:58 pm »

((An arrow I asked for wasn't included in the "want to buy" list. Can I add it to my inventory anyway? :P))
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:09:17 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 26, 2012, 04:15:12 pm »

((Pretty cheap, sure.))
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 26, 2012, 04:26:48 pm »

((@Cael: That's what you get for ninja editing your post 20 minutes before I was made the main one. :P ))

"We're good to go, Skip!" interjects one of the caravaners. "Okay, let's move out then.  I suppose my friend here can answer my question on the road."

She brings all her friends forward and loads them up...

Kat Gets...
Medium Weapon Scope
Concealed Carry Holster for a Tiny Weapon
Mesh Vest
Winter Leggings/Heavy Boots
5. 22 Bullets
5 Crossbow Bolts
Kat takes an experimental look through her scope, marvelling at the zoom function. She keeps playing with it, making it do the tiny 'tick tick tick' sound until Rain smacks her on the back of the head.

Then, she suits up-helping everyone choosing a good pair of winter boots-most of them didn't really fit anyway. She slips a pair of winter pants in her backpack. Then she slips the mesh vesh over herself, adjusting the straps and rearranging her equipment-after that, she straps the tiny holster to her left ankle, slipping the small pistol in and hiding it from casual observance.

Finally, she slips her new bolts into her quiver, and bullets into one of the pouches of her vest.

Rain Gets...
4 Razor Discs
3 Molotovs
9mm Pistol
?? Mechanical Parts

Kat hands Rain four new razor discs (made of some sort of ceramic glass) and molotov bottles, all wrapped in a pair of leggings and boots-along with a shiny new 9mm pistol and a few suppressor tubes.

"I got a matching set of leggings!" Kat says, grinning. Both had the same furry trim and long zippered pockets.

Paprika Gets....
12x357. bullets

Kat hands Paprika a dozen .357 bullets and a pair of fuzzy boots and leggings. The faint colors of the pants match her eyes and hair.

"I think it's stylish." She says, laughing.

Ethan Gets...
Speedloader for his revolver
3xBuckshot shells
Holster for his revolver
Arrow

Ethan gets a pair of leggings and boots (matte black, as requested), along with a holster, speed loader, three dented shotgun shells, and a single arrow.

"You're gonna look pretty badass in all black-ready to rock?" She says, admiring him in a new light.

Troy Gets...
1 Mesh Vest
1 holster
Binoculars
Compass
Winter leggings and boots

Troy is handed his own pair of winter leggings, boots and a slightly larger mesh vest, all in winter white-along with a holster, binoculars taped together, and a scratched compass.

"Let's get a move on-everybody get a seat in the caravan." Kat announces, eager to get rolling.

Action: Take a spot in the caravan by Rain
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:30:24 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 26, 2012, 04:37:51 pm »

"You're gonna look pretty badass in all black-ready to rock?" She says, admiring him in a new light.

"As ready as one can be, girl." Ethan answers with an evil smile. Dark colors were most certainly not the better ones for camouflage when it started snowing, but he was basically a big human target anyway. He could handle the problem.

That and black was his favorite color. Screw stealth.

With the caravan we go.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:45:24 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #669 on: October 26, 2012, 07:51:38 pm »

Paprika stuffs the leggings into her pack and adds the bullets to her cartridge. She says, "Thanks!" before heading up to Rain.

"Hiya! Your sister ... friend...? Anyways, Kat told me to go to you for making things like a suppressor. Could you?"

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: October 26, 2012, 10:59:51 pm »

Paprika stuffs the leggings into her pack and adds the bullets to her cartridge. She says, "Thanks!" before heading up to Rain.

"Hiya! Your sister ... friend...? Anyways, Kat told me to go to you for making things like a suppressor. Could you?"

Rain stares back at Paprika for a moment.  Energetic people always threw her for a loop.   "Um... a suppresor...?"  She taps her teeth and then starts subconciously knawing on her finger as she thinks.  "I could... maybe do that?  I should ask Kat about bartering for supplies before I make any promises.  But Kat's really good at that so she can probably do that if they have the supplies."

((You can make your gun suppressed in the next adventure but it's a semi-permanent modification that can't be transfered between guns easily.))

"Let's get a move on-everybody get a seat in the caravan." Kat announces, eager to get rolling.

Action: Take a spot in the caravan by Rain

The caravan moves to the docks and manages to get most of the way across the river before the rain starts.  It's not acid rain or radioactive this time so it's merely unpleasant.  A light drizzle follows the caravan for the rest of the day as they trudge south along old 77.  They walk across dead grasslands and up dead  with the rain following them all the time.  The girl by the name of Rain sighs and sings a little ditty to her friend "Rain, Rain, go away, come again another day..." before commenting "Someday we're gonna make it to some lovely tropical island and never have to worry about the weather again, right Kat?"

Later for a change of pace they cut through a long dead forest, it's decayed vegetation not offering much in rhe way of scenic beauty.  It does offer a mulchy sort of firewood though and the caravan gathers the stuff together to make camp when night falls.  The rain eases off to a drizzle and it's not too unpleasant if you keep close to the fire.

The caravaners split up into groups of friends or even families as they camp around the fire and break open their personal supplies of food.  Their private conversations make for a steady background noise.  The caravaners don't make much of an effort to approach their five tag alongs, the caravan master might trust them but strangers tend to come and go for this crowd without much attachment.  The caravan master does come by later in the night though, with a proposition.

"You gang seem like a pretty handy lot.  You can hold your own as a group and your little negotiator here showed herself to be quite the savvy customer.  If you are looking for more stuff to do I might have a few ideas for you.
"There's a town a bit to the west of the route that we're taking that has a library that hasn't been scavenged over too bad.  You said before you wanted books about music, well I'm also interested in pre-war books.  Only problem is that it's divided up into a bunch of gangs and every one of those gangs would shoot me on sight.  You guys have a fresh face though.  Could be worth your while if you manage to make it in and out.
"I've also got a job that's... well let's say unconventional diplomacy.  If you don't mind negotiating with some real nasty sons of bitches and don't mind getting your hands dirty I could use an... agent to go take care of some bandit gangs south of New Langley.  They're the type that only respect strength so you might be able to deal with 'em.
"Or if you want you could just keep heading with us.  Like I said we're splitting up in a few days.  Half of us are heading to New Langley if that's where you want to be.  The rest of us are heading to Camelot, buggered if I know what'd be waiting for people like you there."
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #671 on: October 26, 2012, 11:06:44 pm »

((I thought suppressors were screw-on? o_O The rules seem to say that you only need a DC 15 repair check to add one, and a move action to remove one. Unless this is d20 apo rules, or house rules? Also, I don't care about it being permanent. xD))

"Thanks."

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: October 26, 2012, 11:28:15 pm »

((Just me house ruling something in to represent that Rain is jury-rigging and not equipped to deliver perfect gear.))
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: October 26, 2012, 11:35:18 pm »

Troy slipped on his new vest gratefully, taking out a multitude of items from his pack and slipping them into the various pockets of his new vest. Hostering his gun and packing the rest of his gear away into his backpack and noting the new ease at carrying his gear, Troy nodded his thanks at the thoughtfullness and skill of Kat, definately impressed with her skill at bargining.

Later, when they had stopped in the forest, Troy listened to the caravan master's offer and spoke up.

"Tell us more about this library job. I think we would all like to know more about it, like what kind of gangs we would be going up against, how well armed they are and the like."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: October 27, 2012, 12:31:05 am »

Kat was laying downwind by the fire, taking a break, hands behind her head. She heard Troys question, offering some knowledge

"Me and Rain once tried to shortcut through a little town called 'Defiance'. This was before I let Rain do the navigation.

Bunch of violent bastards, all of them-they were more interested in the other gangs than us. Funny thing is, just us two 'outsiders' riled them up. They went crazy, started killing each other to try and get to us. We mosey on, let em fight.

I counted at least 40 gangs in the place, each of them with different colors and symbols. Some had territories that were just a single building. Saw alot of Mutant gangs too-but they were usually smaller, weaker, and actually more polite if you can believe that. Not all of them were killers. Some of them are just folks trying to scratch a living. All of them were dangerous and desperate, though. Me and Rain dealt with a few of them for passage and quarters-mostly the smaller ones, that knew they couldn't afford to lose even one member.

See-Me and Rain mostly watched, and hid-I noticed they were nasty in close quarters fighting, using lots of Ratchets, Spears and Blades. Just plain nasty all around, really. Not a lot of guns or high tech stuff-I don't think they do much trading. We stuck to the borders between gang territory to keep safe-most of em wouldn't come out there, afraid of getting hijacked while they were hijacking us.

I do know, though-If you see an older person among a city gang, you best run for the Hills-anyone whose survived the meatgrinder is apt to be deadly and wise for their years.

...if we take this job, we'll have to be fast-and not get into fights if we can avoid them-we'll never get out otherwise...we'll have to give the appearance of force, though. Make it seem too costly to attack us, and they won't.

Unless they're Reavers of course. Then all bets are off."
Kat finished, flipping her hat back over her face.

She still remembered the bodies piked up on the Reavers Gang territory, painted with ghoulish red, and shuddered. People said the Reavers always lived near heavy sources of Slow-Death (Rain would call it Radiation), but instead of killing them, it made them stronger, even made it so they didn't have to eat, drink or sleep. They apparently lived to spread this Radiation, putting tumors across the land wherever they went-poisoning water, blighting crops, infecting people. They weren't just animals, like the Draculas-they were organized, deadly, and apparently growing in number if you believed the rumors.

The pair had wisely skirted around them, back in Defiance.

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 57