Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57

Author Topic: D20 Modern: After the end. Accepting players!  (Read 54022 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
D20 Modern: After the end. Accepting players!
« on: August 17, 2012, 04:11:16 pm »

This is mainly an intrest check, but how would everyone like a game of d20 modern? I've run forum games before, and I've never had any issues. My Absolute favorite campaign to run, is my fallout-esque apocalypse campaign. I do run extensive houserules, but they are mainly balancing measures, and I'll be forthcoming if I can get some intrested folks! If you have ever played D&D, D20 modern is practically the same system, so system shock is minimal.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:44:55 pm by Wrex »

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: D20 Modern: After the end.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 04:12:45 pm »

The last d20 game started had an overabundance of players so I'd say there's an interest.  What sort of balancing do you do with these houserules?

Quote from: characters
Caellath/Eathan Morrison, Tough Guy  http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=436268
Zako/Troy Redstone, Fast Guy           http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=436552
Dwarm/Kat Lonestar,  Party Face        http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=435735
Maniac/Rain Forester, Smart Gal         http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=436289
Skyrunner/Paprika Lee, Action Girl       http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=435743
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 08:18:12 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 04:16:00 pm »

I'd probably join. More details could be nice to see as well, though.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Pandemix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 04:22:44 pm »

I've never played with D20 but I'm familiar with a bit of D&D 3.5, DSA and Warhammer so, I guess that's not much of a problem.
Apocalypse sounds damn good to me.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 04:30:33 pm »

I mostly try to balanced strong/tough better against fast, although the price of ammo in D20 apoc will do a good job of that.  I Allow people to play Biomorph and Armature robots, assigning an LA based on what it can do. I"ve added energy weapons that aren;t head and shoulders better than ballistics, being jury rigged energy blasters.

I Can however, say what you will need to find a copy of, in some manner:

The d20 modern corebook
D20 Future
D20 Future tech
D20 Apoc
D20 Past (Optional)
D20 weapons locker (Optional).

Now, I am a minmaxer at heart, so you can expect some difficult combat challenges. At the same time, however, it is obvious that killing players is generally a bad thing. I don't need to make everything grittier/more grimdark than it already is, after all.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 07:19:56 pm »

Alright, I know this is a double post, but here goes:

It has been seventy five years since the fires rained from the heavens, seventy five years of filth, and disease, and decay. Seventy five years of predators, marauders, and petty tyrants fighting over what little this irradiated husk of a planet can provide. My job, is to send them back to the irradiated hellhole they came from.
-Casper Loren, Agent of the Confederacy of New Langely

The future, was bright. On october 26, 2040, cold fusion was proved viable. The sudden surplus of unlimited, clean, highly efficent energy  had profound effects on society, putting private power corporations out buisiness, as well as reducing the price of energy to the price of maintenance on the power lines. Funding for the sciences increased, producing invention after wonderous invention. A true pancea, a universal antitoxin, virtual reality, artificial intelligence, all of these and more poured forth from the great think tanks of the world. Robots replaced soldiers on the battlefields of the worlds, while new and horrendous weapons replaced the traditional rifles. The Moreaus were revealed to the world, now more than mere spies and super soldiers. And then it happened.

No one can recall when the first missle struck, or where. The great cities of the world burned in a hail of atomic fire. In a day and a night, everything humanity had worked for, was gone. New York, Shanghai, London, all of them burned away. Over nine tenths of the huamn race perished on that day. Almost a century later, you came along.

This is a sandbox style campaign, so I'm not going to tell you where to go. Asking locals about things to do and local places may yield useful information. I have no problems with evil characters, provided that you are not going to harm the group. They are, after all, you meal ticket :P.

Rules for character creation is as follows:
Most starting occupations are appropriate, when in doubt, shoot me a PM. Charcters recieve 50 TU of supplies, plus twice the wealth bonus of your starting occuptation. This may NOT be left unspent: TU is an abstract value. If you have leftover points, consider buying Ammo that costs 1TU each for a medium of easily portable wealth. If you haven't read D20 apocalypse, a TU is roughly equal to a day's survival: A day's worth of food, one handgun bullet, or one gallon of gas is a TU. Characters use the following array of stats, rather than rolling for them: 18, 16, 16, 14, 12, 10. Robots use a diffrent array depending on what type of robot it is. If you see an item in a splatbook, and you do not see a TU value, I'll compare it to the charts in d20 Apoc and give it the price of something similar. Characters may also be Moreaus, in such a case the standard reduced feats and skill points as compared to humans applies. Mutations may be gained at character creation by taking drawbacks, which give you mutation points to spend. Mutation points may be awared in lieu of physical treasure in some cases.

Hide and move silently are now one skill, stealth. This always bugs me. Alien weapons proficency is needed to be proficent with Energy weapons, and may be taken as a bonus feat in place of personal firearms proficency. The Feats in the brawl/martial arts trees REALLY do need to be combined. As a quick and dirty fix, taking a feat on those trees also gives you a feat form the other tree that you qualify for. If you recieve multiple unarmed damage increasing effects, they stack. For example, if you have improved brawl, but take the martial artist advanced class, your unarmed damage would increase one die size every time the class indicated you were to gain an increased unarmed damage, in this case, from d8 to d10. Charcters receive maximum HP at first level, and average HP per die afterwards. The Dedicated hero has been upgraded to a D8, while the strong has been upgunned to d10 and tough to D12. Psionics exist, in the form of mutation granted powers, and the mentalist advanced class from D20 Past. Magic, as far as it exists, is a halting, fumbling process prone to attracting unknowable evils, and as such, only the Occultist and Spiritualist are allowed as spell casting classes.

Common energy weapons after the apocalypse are rigged from electrical components, and use batteries as their power source. They often have short range, but inflict diffrent types of damage, and batteries can be recharged. Stats will be avalible shortly.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 08:23:41 pm »

I'm interested...and I've got all the books. :P

Can I give you a warning, since I was the one who last tried a D20 modern game. Stick to 4-5 players...

Ironically, I could handle more than that on my game-but as soon we got to a part where a decision had to be made, it stalled and sputtered.

So keep that player list down!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 08:57:55 pm »

Well I'd be interested because I'd like to see Dwarmin on the player side of things but I'll need to see if I can rustle up the literature.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 09:24:01 pm »

Well I'd be interested because I'd like to see Dwarmin on the player side of things but I'll need to see if I can rustle up the literature.
As aforementioned, I'd be interested, but the need for minmaxing would probably hurt me a lot. I'd need help. >.>

Oh well, I always have people I can bother. Count me in if you do start it.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 09:25:53 pm »

Can i join?

EDIT: I'm searching for the books right now.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:34:12 pm by OREOSOME »
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 09:34:21 pm »

I'll join, as soon as I can locate the books somewhere...

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 10:57:18 pm »

Mind you, you can get by with things I may not discuss because It violates forum rules. The first...six applicants will be accepted. Anyone intrested in playing a robot should toss me a PM because designing a robot can take large amounts of forum space. 

Also, Unlike in D&D 3.5, you do not need to minmax to build a viable character if nobody pulls any punches. Unless you are using Urban Arcana, in which case you can get back to the wizard and cleric killing everything and the fighter doing unspeakable things with the rogue to pass the time. Being MartyMcHithings works perfectly fine because your average enemy is not being better than you in every way. It also helps that your enemies won;t have even a full clip of ammunition, if any, until you can afford or scavenge a set of armor that causes bullets to bounce off like a spring shower.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 11:14:05 pm »

Players full up? Haha ... D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 11:25:54 pm »

We have to see if they can "come up with" the books somewhere, then we can finalise everything

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 11:37:44 pm »

We have to see if they can "come up with" the books somewhere, then we can finalise everything
I think I can get the sheet up by tomorrow with some help (if you need them quick). Possibly gonna bother Dwarmin, and when Dwarmin gets tired of me, I'll bother Sky.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:40:28 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57