Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fun with elements  (Read 1363 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Fun with elements
« on: August 17, 2012, 02:04:23 pm »

I'm working on a little side project to add more elements (and associated alloys) to DF for maximum fun. Currently I have four done, with key features intact!
*Note: This kinda waives the DF tech level. I'll work on adding advanced workshops later.
*Other note: It's not being released yet, I just wanted to get some discussion going. I do have the raws done though for all the metals (reactions aren't done yet). When I'm really happy with it I'll probably release it.
  • Cobalt: Get it from cobaltite (with flux), it's a decorative metal that displays in blue (I wanted to give all the metals distinctive display colours, because in the files they're all gray) kinda like gold. Only dwarves and kobolds can access it.
  • Beryllium: Extract it from beryl gems (close enough :P ) to get a very nice light-weight metal that isn't suitable for war-hammers or blunt weapons. But wear gloves, because if you inhale its dust or touch it for too long then your respiratory system will get inflamed. It's cyan/teal/whatever that "dingy not microcline but close" colour is.
  • Uranium: Groan. Yes, it's uranium. It's also mostly for decoration only, but can be used for ammunition. It's warm to the touch (50 degrees celsius, enough for you to not want to touch it). We'll assume it's not really harmful so it has no syndrome. Yet.
  • Tungsten: Extracted from the mineral wolframite (in the mod), it's a useful magma-safe metal.
Basically, I think this stuff is cool so I wanted to add it, and there are so many metals in the periodic table that we might as well use them for something. Suggestions are welcome!

And, of course, a question: can you make a material have different syndromes depending on the method of "infection"? Like, a dust that inflames anything that touches it, but in its solid form, it causes blisters when ingested (not based on anything specific).

Also, here is a list of Future Ideas!
  • "Enchanted cobalt" that only kobolds can produce and use, it's as useful as iron because everyone loves kobolds
  • "Chilled mercury", it needs a nether-cap log and cinnabar to produce. From a science point of view, the nether-cap is ground to powder and mixed in with the mercury, chilling it so that it stays somewhat solid (but its melting point is only raised a bit, to maybe 10120 Urist). Apparently frozen mercury behaves like tin, so it'll be like that.
  • Molybdenum, which can be used to make ultra-strong molybdenum steel (and has a high melting point of 14721 Urist, making it magma-safe)
  • Titanium is a pain in the ass but if we want to ignore the inherent work involved in extracting it then it could work (or, even better, a painful series of complex single-use workshops to refine it).
  • Shiny chrome of some sort?
My wooden badge was delicious.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with elements
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 02:07:51 pm »

Beryllium arrows >:D

Btw, is it possible to mod in a syndrome for uranium, sorta like radioactivity?
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 02:11:37 pm »

Beryllium arrows >:D

Btw, is it possible to mod in a syndrome for uranium, sorta like radioactivity?
Yeah, on contact. So XXcave spider silk glovesXX are just as good as fifty feet of lead shielding in this case (unfortunately, there's no good way to make a material remain intact AND spread a syndrome without having someone touch it directly).

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 02:12:42 pm »

Throw uranium chunks after them?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 02:14:44 pm »

Throw uranium chunks after them?
Fifty-degree uranium bolts sound pretty dangerous anyway (I read somewhere that depleted uranium bullets catch on fire, but it probably wouldn't work with crossbow bolts). Research!

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:20:47 pm »

I want it for testing as soon as i can, and i really want super l33t uranium bolts :D But i guess beryllium works just fine?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 02:29:19 pm »

Just a note here about you beryllium idea, but as it is contact poisons only function with contaminants, not with metals, so unless you:
1)Make the reaction generate a harmful "beryllium" substance.
2)Make the metal have a low enough melting point that it melts when stuck into an enemy, but high enough that it doesn't just melt at room temperature.
Then the contact poison will be worthless, and even so once you actually get the metal away from where you made it (for number 1) or once it is made (for number 2) then it will be completely safe to handle without any danger at all.

For multiple syndromes, I believe that all you would need to do would be to have two separate [SYNDROME] tokens on the substance. So it would look like this:
Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:POISON:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
       [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen giant cave spider venom]
       [STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen giant cave spider venom]
       [STATE_NAME:LIQUID:giant cave spider venom]
       [STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:giant cave spider venom]
       [STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling giant cave spider venom]
       [STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling giant cave spider venom]
       [PREFIX:NONE]
       [SYNDROME]
            blah blah blah
            [SYN_INJECTED]
       [SYNDROME]
            blah blah blah
            [SYN_INHALED]
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 02:42:02 pm »

The naturally occuring Uranium isn't going to be enriched enough to do much of anything.  At least not in the scope of your Fort's lifetime.  Enriching is WAY beyond their tech level.

I could pretty handily buy off on multiple stages and/or really long processing time to refine some of the more difficult to procure metals, i.e. Tungsten and Molybdenum.

I'd go with Titanium rather than Beryllium.  Ligh weight, no confusing health risks.  The conditions under which Beryllium is harmful are kind of convoluted.  The reason it's an industrial hazard is that the manufacturing of commercial parts of, say, Copper-Beryllium present exactly those conditons, lol.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 02:47:11 pm »

The naturally occuring Uranium isn't going to be enriched enough to do much of anything.  At least not in the scope of your Fort's lifetime.  Enriching is WAY beyond their tech level.

I could pretty handily buy off on multiple stages and/or really long processing time to refine some of the more difficult to procure metals, i.e. Tungsten and Molybdenum.

I'd go with Titanium rather than Beryllium.  Ligh weight, no confusing health risks.  The conditions under which Beryllium is harmful are kind of convoluted.  The reason it's an industrial hazard is that the manufacturing of commercial parts of, say, Copper-Beryllium present exactly those conditons, lol.
I had just read that it was a "lightweight and toxic metal" and I thought "perfect for DF!". Making it easily kick off dust/molten droplets is probably a good idea - and also opens up avenues for some "beryllium golem" that breathes beryllium dust clouds.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 03:16:06 pm »

My science mod has... 44 elements added and all the minerals you can get them from.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 03:17:44 pm »

My science mod has... 44 elements added and all the minerals you can get them from.
*negative guy*

Oh well, at least it's good practice :P

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 03:29:14 pm »

Most radioactive minerals are pyrophoric: they ignite when ground fine enough. The ammunition will shear off portions of itself, which then burn. Uranium isn't -that- radioactive without enrichment, and something that can drink out of a leg mug for fifty years without any ill effects will probably not give one whit about alpha and beta radiation (which, by the way, is fairly harmless. Gamma radiation though, that's what you break out the lead shielding for.)  Uranium is also VERY poisonous, which is the main hazard of depleted uranium ammunition, not the trace levels of radioactivity.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 03:54:54 pm »

Lead poisoning hasn't been implemented yet. When it is, though...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 03:59:54 pm »

I was actually *JUST* going to talk about lead poisoning and how we needed a good western mod. Ninja'd.