Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Another Magic Thread (it's long, but hey, it's a new idea...)  (Read 15004 times)

Jables

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another Magic Thread (it's long, but hey, it's a new idea...)
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2012, 09:46:45 pm »

I'm not familiar of any way to turn energy into matter.
The first method that comes to mind is producing matter/antimatter particle pairs. In any case, I'd be a bit wary of allowing the player to produce magic from energy since energy isn't actually conserved in DF, and even if it was, it can still be mass produced from mundane sources. Converting magic into energy is necessarily going to be possible, but going the other direction should at the very least be difficult and likely to result in large quantities of !!FUN!! (think nuclear meltdown).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2012, 09:58:49 pm »

Well, it depends on the type of energy converted to magic. Heat? Magma provides infinite mana. ATP? You need to eat more, but that makes energy be conserved. Kinda. Mostly. What was my point, again?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2012, 12:14:53 pm »

True names? Me likey. As for the actual physical act of casting, as many different ways as possible, not just limited to thought.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2012, 01:50:07 pm »

Call me crazy, but I actually really really don't like the idea of mana in games. I hate the fact that we've tried to put modern conventions of fuel or ammo onto people like Wizards who, traditionally, had quite limitless power. That doesn't mean they could do anything, just that they didn't have to worry about the little blue bar reaching above a certain level before they could cast a spell. I don't think there should be any kind of "fuel" system or whatever for DF magic. I'm not sure how it would work out, but it would free you up to allow people to cast extremely powerful spells without worrying about arbitrary game mechanics.

That said, perhaps certain kinds of magic could use a kind of fuel system. I suppose we don't know if magic will indeed be divided into more than 1 kind - runes for instance in contrast to wizards' spells for turning houses into mushrooms.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:54:21 pm by Owlbread »

Jables

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2012, 03:49:20 pm »

I don't think Toady would ever implement a magic system with mana for the same reason that we don't have HP bars. I can see something more akin to exhaustion being implemented for magic abilities, though, where casting too much magic too quickly gives you some sort of "magically drained" indicator and your ability to cast is reduced (increasing the risk of miscasting). If you get too drained then you'd probably run the risk of passing out or something. Even without a full implementation of magic, it would be nice to see something like this for animating corpses.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2012, 04:57:22 pm »

I meant mana as in magical energy.

That said, some kind of magical foodstuffs or potions or something might give magical ability that wears off with use, not time.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2012, 11:16:09 pm »

I meant mana as in magical energy.

That said, some kind of magical foodstuffs or potions or something might give magical ability that wears off with use, not time.

What about adding magic levels to items alongside quality levels? every materiel would have it's own multiplier and work a bit like money.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2012, 10:43:47 am »

Nope, nothing so simple and easy to understand. It would take much experimentation to even begin to know where you are with magic, and even knowing an object is magical shouldn't be a certainty.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2012, 03:56:55 pm »

I always imagine dwarves as being immune to magic and cannot cast magic due to the fact of dragon age origins lore  :o

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2012, 04:07:56 pm »

I always imagine dwarves as being immune to magic and cannot cast magic due to the fact of dragon age origins lore  :o

But good sir, there are Dwarven necromancers.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2012, 04:34:56 pm »

But good sir, there are Dwarven necromancers.
Well i never thought of that.. but its a power you gain from unholy sources magic though i doubt i am right is something you are born with r-right?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2012, 04:36:31 pm »

Another thing: if dwarves are immune to magic, wizards are no threat. At least, they're not much of one.
Sig

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2012, 04:38:13 pm »

Another thing: if dwarves are immune to magic, wizards are no threat. At least, they're not much of one.
Well fire ice lighting ect still would harm them but i am talking about arcane type magic

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2012, 04:58:51 pm »

Well fire ice lighting ect still would harm them but i am talking about arcane type magic
What do you mean by that? Dwarves would be immune to a wizard exploding in a burst of raw magical power, or...uh...what?
Sig

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2012, 05:19:15 pm »

I am taking from Dao lore sorry if i am not making sense since dwarf men and women lived underground they could not connect to the fade thus making them unable to become mages plus they had a passive ability that 1 out of 10 chances magic will do nothing to them
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8