Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40

Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: The dubiousness of expandalone patches. Also Titans.  (Read 72839 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Annihilation:TA-inspired RTS: Beta, yo.
« Reply #510 on: January 17, 2014, 04:40:43 pm »

I figure this deserves a bump. The last patch just added teleporters, tweaked a lot of unit stats, and redesigned orbital. It's almost an entirely new game.

[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 05, 2014, 03:36:17 pm »

Apparently it's in "Gamma" now. Anyway I just got it for $30 on steam and it should still be that cheap for the next 24 hours.
I had a crash on startup which was somehow fixed by running the game in compatibility mode for windows 7 despite already running windows 7, if anyone has a similar problem in the future.
That said, anyone here play this still?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 05, 2014, 03:45:01 pm »

I can play it now (as compared to the nope of before), but I want to see the new PoE stuff first, Rakonas. That and I have no idea how to play, I haven't palyed SupCom in awhile.

Also, I haven't heard of anyone making a 'Gamma' since MechQuest. Which was a browser game.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Annihilation:TA-inspired RTS: Gamma?
« Reply #513 on: March 05, 2014, 04:21:11 pm »

It's definitely got a big learning curve. I think I understand why most the games in the lobby are more than 1v1: it's really impossible to practically manage every aspect at once. I played against the AI for a bit and really got a taste of how great the game can be but I felt I couldn't compete because it's too much management to expand and produce constantly.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 05, 2014, 04:25:38 pm »

It's definitely got a big learning curve. I think I understand why most the games in the lobby are more than 1v1: it's really impossible to practically manage every aspect at once. I played against the AI for a bit and really got a taste of how great the game can be but I felt I couldn't compete because it's too much management to expand and produce constantly.
I'd looked at the interface a bit yesterday, and one thing I noticed that I know very well from AI War: Loop build. Setup the queue, make sure its on loop build, try not to run out of resources, set a rally point somewhere. It should keep going while you focus other things.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #515 on: March 05, 2014, 05:45:47 pm »

need more feedback before I decide to purchase!
I got nothing

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #516 on: March 05, 2014, 05:51:14 pm »

The game is shaping up nicely. Still not totally content with their balance direction (I hoped a more turtle-focused approach like supcom, but it'll be moddable  :D) but it has improved a lot. Map loading is much faster now too.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 05, 2014, 05:59:15 pm »

need more feedback before I decide to purchase!
Look at some of pamatches videos on youtube. Dunno if theres any gamma matches yet, but they've got plenty of games of PA to look at.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 05, 2014, 07:51:07 pm »

I have to agree, the game is shaping up nicely. I'm part of the tournament community and I've almost won a few tournaments (curse you Godde!). The game still isn't ready for orbital yet, though. I mean sure, it's playable, but orbital in itself is still a gimmick unfortunately, at least in a competitive 1vs1.

AI is decent if you don't want to play against other players. It's made by Sorian, so someday we're going to enter his AI into our tournaments and see how far it gets.

Lots of fun doodads in already, such as teleporters, combat engineers, and formations.

Game balance has been out of whack since last December as the devs try to iron something out. I also don't like where they're going with it (early teching). But that's what mods are for.  :P

Overall, I think it's worth a purchase. I've put over 240 hours into PA and I feel like someday it will be better than Supreme Commander. It just needs a little more shine.

Note: Gamma won't be doing much gameplay wise. They're just adding in community features (such as a 1vs1 ladder). So it's a good time to jump in as game features will remain pretty stable.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 28, 2014, 03:42:43 pm »

Any further news on this? I've held off buying as with this kinda game I think it's easy for it to look awesome but actually be pretty boring after you get over the novelty factor. I watched the videos and it looked great, but I'm still very much on the fence - anyone care to share more of their thoughts?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 28, 2014, 05:37:26 pm »

while its interesting...its annoying since if the servers go down your galactic war game vs ai disconnect ::)
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 28, 2014, 06:26:12 pm »

while its interesting...its annoying since if the servers go down your galactic war game vs ai disconnect ::)

..... what?!

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 28, 2014, 07:08:37 pm »

..... what?!
yes, if your in the middle of playing galactic war, it will keep your overall war progress but even if your 2 hours into a battle you will get kicked if you either lose internet or if the servers goes down since the game still needs to confirm every move with the server apparently.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 28, 2014, 07:12:24 pm »

So, the devs did a quick look over at Giantbomb... here.  Aside from initially failing to do what they were trying to do for 30 mins by accidentally winning the game, I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed.  The game has been in development for such a long time now I feel (almost 2 years by the age of this thread), nothing really leapt out and grabbed me and said, "hey, this game looks awesome to play!".  The planetary collision... not epic.  I'm willing to assume that with a few more months of polish the gameplay and atmosphere will be better, but the rather dull and technically bungled demonstration didn't fill me with confidence.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 28, 2014, 07:22:06 pm »

The game doesn't have a lot of "cool" stuff yet, like in Supreme Commander.  Stuff like the unit cannon or death stars have been put off quite a bit by the team.

To be honest, there's still not a lot of content yet unless you plan to play competitively. The random maps are a lot of fun for competitive battling, and the sphere maps are really a different beast altogether compared to the standard RTS. However, if that doesn't really interest you then it might be a good idea to hold off until release. At release they'll release the servers so you can play offline or host your own servers. The modding scene should be able to supplement the lack of content.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40