Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 40

Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: The dubiousness of expandalone patches. Also Titans.  (Read 72899 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Annihilation:TA-inspired RTS: Alpha complaints edition
« Reply #450 on: June 15, 2013, 04:49:32 am »

I don't think I'd find the price tag nearly as ridiculous if it wasn't on the front page of Steam. I thought it was some sort of strangely named architecture software when I saw it up there.

I'm firmly of the belief that you'd have to either be out of your mind or disgustingly wealthy to actually pay $90 for this.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 15, 2013, 05:04:35 am »

I don't think I'd find the price tag nearly as ridiculous if it wasn't on the front page of Steam. I thought it was some sort of strangely named architecture software when I saw it up there.

I'm firmly of the belief that you'd have to either be out of your mind or disgustingly wealthy to actually pay $90 for this.

I think it's the context that is a bit of an issue to me. I know Steam now has the Greenlight system but if I see a game on Steam I firstly assume it to be a finished game. I have no problem with them asking money for an alpha, especially if it includes the finished game. If it was on Kickstarter I think I'd be more willing to donate $90 to an unfinished product, but if it's on Steam then I'm less likely because Steam is more like a retail store so I'd like the game to be finished first.

Maybe if Steam separated the games in Alpha and Beta from the finished games, say a separate column on the front page, then it wouldn't be so odd seeing a $90 alpha next to a $90 new release.

The Steam Greenlight on the front page, at the moment that's really just a big button with a selection of game covers. If that was converted into something similar to the scrolling new release bar at the top of the page but keeping the green borders, it would make more sense.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 15, 2013, 06:00:46 am »

Yes, I'm in general agreement here.  I'm a backer of this project at the lowest game-getting kick starter level, I think the devs are talented and I fully expect this game to be what they said it would be and more.  But making the alpha available on steam was an immensely stupid idea.  I'm sure it makes all kinds of sense with steam server integration or customers thinking the price comes down magically later, but it really can't seem like anything other than a dick move to actually sell it for 90 dollars.  But such are the problems of following up on kickstarter promises, I guess.  Nevertheless, they should have played this better.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 15, 2013, 06:25:18 am »

I think Steam should have a separate category for these sorts of things - the extended Kickstarter section.

Usually with alpha/beta funding, you buy a game as-is, for a lower price to counter the gamble of not knowing how the final version will turn out. Popular indie games like Mount & Blade, Minecraft or Xenonauts have used this model, but perhaps more importantly, usually so have the ones that never got off the ground, making the loss for people who purchased them relatively low.

Things like this, and Kickstarters in general, treat alpha/beta access as a privilege rather than a gamble. And with the price range present here, it's pretty ridiculous compared to the usual alpha/beta funding tier games (especially coming from a developer with only mediocre garbage in their portfolio). Basically I'd stick games with these sorts of pricing models in their own little ghetto.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 15, 2013, 06:41:34 am »

Snip.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:02:18 am by 10ebbor10 »

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 15, 2013, 07:29:36 am »

Maybe if Steam separated the games in Alpha and Beta from the finished games, say a separate column on the front page, then it wouldn't be so odd seeing a $90 alpha next to a $90 new release.

The listing is labelled Early Access, which is as good as it's gonna get for a while; having that access on Steam is still a quite new thing.  Valve isn't going to throw out their carefully crafted & evolved front page for the sake of a class of games as sparse as that.

On the general bit about $90, yeah, that made me scratch my head when I first saw in on the release ticker.  It seems high, but it may be the correct number for the "shut up and take my money" crowd.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 15, 2013, 07:45:44 am »

I agree that it seems a bit early for getting on steam, but then again, it got "EARLY ALPHA, GAME ABSOLUTELY NOT FINISHED" plastered all over the page.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 15, 2013, 12:11:52 pm »

I agree that it seems a bit early for getting on steam, but then again, it got "EARLY ALPHA, GAME ABSOLUTELY NOT FINISHED" plastered all over the page.

Why put it on steam now? to use their distribution system for the alpha!
If they intend on selling through third parties anyways, why not also distribute the alpha through a third party?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 15, 2013, 12:53:22 pm »

If they intend on selling through third parties anyways, why not also distribute the alpha through a third party?
i just find it funny its so far the only indie game im aware of thats worth that much on a market. Hell the only other game i can think of thats worth alot is Distant Worlds with its expansions thats a easy 170 bucks not on sale.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #459 on: June 15, 2013, 06:46:20 pm »

Isn't it obvious? Millions of people use Steam. If even a few of those see the game as interesting and decide its worth the early access price, that is extra revenue to spend on making the game.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 15, 2013, 07:11:02 pm »

I can get behind that. It's advertising. Millions of people will know the game is out and (somewhat) playable. Few will pay the outrageously high price, but many will have their attention caught and look forward to the cheaper beta or release.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 15, 2013, 09:35:15 pm »

At the very least f you pay you get everything they make for it in the future free. So Minus what those would cost the early access is only fifty dollars over priced.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 16, 2013, 09:58:59 am »

Metacritic pulled the plug on PA rating btw. There's goes all the price rage.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 17, 2013, 10:14:34 am »

Well, good for them.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #464 on: June 17, 2013, 03:21:42 pm »

Well, good for them.
Indeed. Rating an alpha is ridiculous anyway, rating a game based on price is just stupid. By that logic, all of the 99 cent games should get scores of 100%
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 40