Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 40

Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: The dubiousness of expandalone patches. Also Titans.  (Read 72880 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

I hate to be the downer, but it will have little more then:

#Move between space objects (units/commanders)
#One way "attacks" with space objects.

I doubt you could even move astroids around your planet in a friendly way, or infact do anything with them besides
a) base + build
b) smack into something
Well, there will, supposedly, be "orbital" units. So, much like there are moons and moonbases, I suspect that if the game does make it far enough to be enable us to chuck asteroids at planets, we will be able to put the mobile asteroids into different orbits. I mean, what's the point of an asteroid base with engines if you can't just move it? But I'll agree with your views on the basis that it's better to expect the worst in these cases. :)
Also, you will be able to change the orbits of moons and such. If have read an interview(think rock paper shotgun), where they referred to the ability of using moons or asteroids to assault other planets. Either as artillery support, giant troop carrier or as a direct mass drop.

So yes you will be able to change orbits. Don't expect much more than that though.

Making nice ship models take time.
Time is money.
see?
Also, the more things you add, the harder balancing becomes.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This looks to be really awesome, though I'm not sure why it'd cost $200,000 to implement naval units.
Because they aren't just going to implement naval units. They're going to implement water physics that can react to planetary-scale impacts.
More importantly, they can implement naval units and water physics, and they want those $200,000. It's a stretch goal for a reason, and that reason isn't to have a more developed game on release. This is, in itself, part of the reason I really don't like stretch goals like these.
Doing water physics which can react in a convincing way to planetary-scale collisions isn't going to be easy and none of them are going to work for free...
I doubt they'll be going for any actual simulation there. There are a scarce few games that so much as attempt that in realtime, and they deal with significantly smaller areas. We're likely to see a reinterpretation of the Tsunami spell from Populous (modified to account for modern hardware). Ocean flash-evaporates at impact point, planet heightmap alters to make a crater, radial "tsunami" spawns, expanding outward, perhaps global sea level lowers to account for missing water and whatever gets moved around with the wave. Any sort of meaningful "simulation" is just not going to happen, however small they make the planets. It just requires too much processing power.

*thinks of water effects of "From Dust"*

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

*thinks of water effects of "From Dust"*
Yes, that game and the one called "Maelstrom" are the two games I had in mind. But "From Dust" has.. well, more or less exactly zero other things that tax its performance significantly. It doesn't have hundreds of units firing thousands of projectiles that also have to comply with physics, not to mention it doesn't have a starsystem-scale battleground with a dozen disparate "maps" to keep track of. "Maelstrom" had the former, but its scale was even more cramped. Simply put, the scale of Planetary Annihilation is set to be too big to allow actual simulation of water. Not to mention it'll also be multiplayer, so bandwidth and synchronization concerns will also be taken into account. It will in all likelihood be a simplified system that just manages to look right. Remember, they shoot for "awesome", not "realistic". So, mile-high tidal waves, slightly diminishing ocean, and that'd be about it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With planets crashing together, water won't make a difference.
The thing is, when planets collide they heat up to the point that they become liquid anyways, so you'd need the same simulations whether there is water on the planet or not.
ofc, Tzunamies are a whole different kinda thing, needing wave simulation.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

With planets crashing together, water won't make a difference.
The thing is, when planets collide they heat up to the point that they become liquid anyways, so you'd need the same simulations whether there is water on the planet or not.
ofc, Tzunamies are a whole different kinda thing, needing wave simulation.
I don't think you can crash planets. But there are going to be moments when asteroids, fragments of asteroids or moons crash.

Or if possibly, long range kinetic artillery.

EDIT: There's a new vid on the kickstarter.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:40:57 am by 10ebbor10 »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Not KS or actual gameplay, but this is interesting to hear about.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oooooh. Sounds like it will be nice and shiny.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Oooooh. Sounds like it will be nice and shiny.
Have at ye!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile

I don't think you can crash planets. But there are going to be moments when asteroids, fragments of asteroids or moons crash.

lolnope. Crashing Planets into eachother and destorying them is a feature.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile

They've hit their goal btw.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile

I have a feeling that were definately going to get water units. Orbital units, maybe. The rest, probably not.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile

This looks like the elaboration of a game I played on a PowerMac in special education back in 2001 to 2004. It's exactly the same premise only you didn't actually see the battles happening on the planets themselves and the graphics were nowhere near this good.

Makes me feel a little nostalgic despite my inability to remember the name of said game. Honestly though once again me contributing towards a Kickstarter is not an option. It's not like I could afford a computer that could play this newfangled game they're coming out with anyways.

Good luck to them though I guess.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I want to know what the secret goals are  :-\

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile

I want to know what the secret goals are  :-\

Personally, I think stretch goal number 3 may be Singleplayer campaign and Expanded lore, but I have no idea what the others are.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

They've hit their goal btw.
Theres no space left in title though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 40