Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40

Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: The dubiousness of expandalone patches. Also Titans.  (Read 72821 times)

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

reminds me somehow alot of the game "fragile alliance"  where everything was played on asteroids (basic gameplay: mine asteroid->sell minerals->buy technologies->build on more asteroids->build rocketsilos and hangars->shoot the enemy asteroids with nukes, time freeze missles, carriers, tons of fighters flying over the asteroid and shooting the enemy buildings->build gravety generator-> send asteroid into enemy asteroid.)

also X-COM scenario?
-unknown asteroid enters solar system
-the asteroid suddenly stops and orbits a empty planet
-alien "commander" wakes up and drops on that planet
-a few days later supreme commander 2 UFOs attack earth.
-earth builds "X-COM bases" on earth and misslebases on the moon.

well etc...

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile

I hope they keep the art style similar to that in the video. I love simple, colorful, and cartoony graphics. We have way too many gritty realistic games where everything is gunmetal grey or poo brown.

Also, the explosions are fun to watch. Always a plus.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hope they keep the art style similar to that in the video. I love simple, colorful, and cartoony graphics. We have way too many gritty realistic games where everything is gunmetal grey or poo brown.

+1

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is only one big factor here though

Will planets ever be annihilated? if not I feel appropriately disillusioned with this game.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is only one big factor here though

Will planets ever be annihilated? if not I feel appropriately disillusioned with this game.

An annihilated planet was in the TEASER.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile

Seemed to be more of a minor asteroid thing. I would laugh pretty hard if you could put enough of those engines on any sized planet to make them move.

"Screw you guy! I hate you enough to ram everything I've ever loved into your soon to be vaporized face!"

This would also lead to an amusing situation where two people control different halves of a planet and one person starts building engines on their side. Engine tug of war.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:19:57 pm by Lap »

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile

There is only one image that can simulate an idea for my beloved TA to be up-scaled

THE GODS ARE HERE. THEY ARE UBER GAMES
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seemed to be more of a minor asteroid thing. I would laugh pretty hard if you could put enough of those engines on any sized planet to make them move.

"Screw you guy! I hate you enough to ram everything I've ever loved into your soon to be vaporized face!"

Put engines on the sun.

Fly it through the system eating everything.

And of course you know the last part.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Put engines on the sun.

Fly it through the system eating everything.

And of course you know the last part.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's actually easier than that.
Step 1: create a vast number of mirrors heavy enough to maintain a constant distance from the sun at whatever distance/orbit they are intended to sit in (not really heavy at all)
Step 2: set up mirrors to intercept light going in the direction you want the sun to go
Step 3: redirect light with mirrors in the opposite direction you want the sun to go
Step 4: drink copious amounts of champaign; you have now succeeded in turning your solar system into a spacecraft powered by a 1.3 million kilometer, fusion powered ion drive with sufficient fuel for billions of years of operation; just don't expect it to go fast

Also, funding is now over $400k!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:15:17 am by alway »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile

I haven't read the thread yet, but god do those screenshots remind me of Spore 0_0.

That's a good thing, by the way. Not that spore itself is.

Spoiler: Profanity (click to show/hide)
40 PLAYERS?! If I could, I would fund the HELL out of this.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:05:12 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile

Well, what I'm thinking they're going to do is treat the planets as entities. Self-contained maps. Any impact with a larger object, regardless of speed, will result in a 'nuke' event of varying severity on the larger object upon the point of impact while the smaller object is destroyed.

I'm all cool with that, But I'm still not sure how the space physics are going to work. The trailer showed that certain stellar bodies have gravity wells that influence the orbit of asteroids. But, are they going to implement a whole, detailed system of zero-g movement in space? That would definitely be one of the first questions I would ask the development team.

Spoiler: Profanity (click to show/hide)
40 PLAYERS?! If I could, I would fund the HELL out of this.
Yeah, I'm not sure how that will work. The maps are going to have to be fucking huge, especially since it's total annihilation we're talking about here. There is probably going to have to be a fairly restrictive unit cap, as well.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seem to me its only rendering object close to your camera and depending on the size. I.E.: while you are zoomed in on your little asteroid placing rockets, you only see the planet in front of you but not whats going on. So if the system is very large with 40ish player on it, you might not know wtf is going on on the other side of the system unless you zoom in and see an asteroid moving toward a planet, you see the asteroid but not whats on it and so on. Each game will be like a mini-mmo server i dont know but its very doable.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

The plan for the 40 player maps is that you start in groups of layers, each on you own planet. There's a unit cap divided over all players. As players are killed the  unit cap for the remaining players increases.

The planet maps are actually fairly rectangular due to some optical trick. As for impacts, I think they said that almost every decent sized impact will result in a planetary catasthope. The difference is how fast it happens. I'm not sure of this though.

Also, the devs have said they ain't going to focus on space, so probably not much detailed movement. I think they might just allow us to move things from one orbit to another, but I hope they allow us to modify the trajectories, so we can avoid enemy fire or do an attack run or something.

Seem to me its only rendering object close to your camera and depending on the size. I.E.: while you are zoomed in on your little asteroid placing rockets, you only see the planet in front of you but not whats going on. So if the system is very large with 40ish player on it, you might not know wtf is going on on the other side of the system unless you zoom in and see an asteroid moving toward a planet, you see the asteroid but not whats on it and so on. Each game will be like a mini-mmo server i dont know but its very doable.
The entire 40 player match is confirmed to happen on one single server. These will probably be compagny supported servers and special events, since it will be fairly resource intensive. I'm pretty sure they are going to do a fog of war thing though, so that you can't see what happens on the other planets.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Scouting was an important part of Supreme Commander (and I assume Total Annihilation). Having fog of war makes sense.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile

Quote from: 10ebbor10
The entire 40 player match is confirmed to happen on one single server. These will probably be compagny supported servers and special events, since it will be fairly resource intensive. I'm pretty sure they are going to do a fog of war thing though, so that you can't see what happens on the other planets.
Whoah whoah whoah, I thought they were doing this new pseudo-client side hosting thingy? Like peer-to-peer but over a mesh network?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40