Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 40

Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: The dubiousness of expandalone patches. Also Titans.  (Read 72922 times)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile

Has anyone seen the Metacritic page for Planetary Annihilation?: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/planetary-annihilation

Is it just me or is it kind of stupid to allow people to rate a game that is still in alpha?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile

Yes. Yes it is.
Infact I would go as far as to say it's daftness reserved only for the most drunken of knaves.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not sure. i think that it doesn't matter what the state of the game is. once a company sell it, people should have a tool to review whether that product is worth buying.

they should reset that rating once the game changes states though.

the really retarded issue around metacritic user review, one that they can't and will never be able to fix, is that people can rate games they never played.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

@burningpet If EA released an alpha of anything, it'd either be a leaked alpha or it wouldn't be one of their multiplayer games.
Also, Prison Architect at the beginning I remember hearing that it was $30 because they didn't just want everyone to buy it and then complain it wasn't finished. PA has done the same thing, but at a higher price which is also equivalent to the relevant kickstarter tier.

Has anyone seen the Metacritic page for Planetary Annihilation?: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/planetary-annihilation

Is it just me or is it kind of stupid to allow people to rate a game that is still in alpha?
More reason to defenestrate metacritic as soon as we can. The place is being less and less useful.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From what I understand the complaints are on its insane cost.

Which frankly... Yes it is insane and the only way for people to know why the price is so insanely high for early access, it is because they didn't want to undercut the Kickstarter supporters who did pay premium for early access.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Annihilation:TA-inspired RTS: Alpha complaints edition
« Reply #410 on: June 13, 2013, 04:59:49 pm »

Its in alpha, its not done. Either you just don't give it out (which means not hearing much of anything about it until its in beta, or when its almost done) or you restrict access in some way. High prices are a valid restriction.

I pledged at the retail tier, I'm fine with waiting, I don't feel a need to pay for the alpha. So I haven't.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 05:01:24 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 13, 2013, 05:03:18 pm »

Rating it 0/10 because of the price isn't judging the game on the merits, and rating it 0/10 because you're playing an alpha version and you're upset that it is -gasp- not finished, not bug-free, and not polished, isn't doing anyone any favors either... Why is it even possible to review it on metacritic at this time? They still allow rating all things before they're released?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 13, 2013, 05:04:25 pm »

Why is it even possible to review it on metacritic at this time?
Because metacritic is a useless pile of numerals and terribleness.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 13, 2013, 05:07:23 pm »

Rating it 0/10 because of the price isn't judging the game on the merits

It is perfectly valid to include price in the rating. After all how many times has someone said to me "But *Insert Game here* is so cheap and you got so much"? The opposite must also be true.

The problem is that they don't know WHY the price is so high and they are just assuming they are trying to rip people off.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 13, 2013, 05:11:49 pm »

they don't get better testers because of their pricing, they just get richer testers.

But as said before, its not the issue here (pricing to restrict access).

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 13, 2013, 05:15:23 pm »

they don't get better testers because of their pricing, they just get richer testers.
Well yes. But they also have less testers, and although many testers is good, theres only so many people you can get feedback from before you have more noise and complaints about alphas/betas then you have useful information.

I'd admit they certainly could've waited on the Early Access bit, though; they already have a operational store of their own if people really wanted to get in.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 13, 2013, 05:21:25 pm »

This is the funniest shit. It's like the dumbest thing I've seen an indie developer do since Phil Fish.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 13, 2013, 05:22:04 pm »

Never heard of Phil Fish.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 13, 2013, 05:25:24 pm »

Dude who made Fez.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 13, 2013, 05:27:11 pm »

You don't want to.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 40